Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why are guns so expensive?

Lumberg said:
Yeah but they're not THAT much more EXPENSIVE than they were 50 years ago either, when liability lawsuits were nonexistant.

I guess the two factors outweight each other exactly?

Exactly. :D

sure, more complexity goes into making DVD players and other electronics, but they won't kill you if they malfunction (unless you drop them in the bathtub with you).

an improperly manufactured gun can go to pieces the first time you pull the trigger. while the difference in tolerances between a computer processor and the parts in a gun are exponentionally different, the gun's tolerances are much more important. Pentium/Intel/Athlon would rather deal with you being pissed off because your brand new processor doens't work due to a manufacturing defect than Smith and Wesson would because on the first shot your gun blew in half and now you've got a stub where your hand used to be.

guns can be fairly cheap on the black market if you know where to go. i've heard people say before to go into the inner city and buy a hot "throw down" piece for $50.

please no one tell Curling what a throw down piece is. if he finds out, he's going to use one when burglars break into his neighbor's house so he can shoot them and claim self defense.

Come on crack spill it. Is a throw down piece some home made type gun?

Also my kickstand didn't catch on the gsxr in New Bransfels and fell over. It scratched up the about 7 inches on the rear fender underneath the passenger seat. What is the best way to get that fixed? Can you just paint it or what?

crak I think you hit the nail on the head. that is kind of the reason that has been at the back of my mind.

I'm trying to think of a way to ahoot down that theory, something to do with medical equipment costs coming down lately?

a throwdown piece is for when you shoot some guy cos let's say you're a little trigger happy or thought he had a gun or whatever. you take it out of your pocket with a handkerchief(it's already been wiped clean of prints) and put it in the perp's hand. avoids a possibly messy situation. usually used by cops. (i have always heard it called a throwaway piece though).

manny78 said:
Just the barrel makes for about 30% of the cost.

Depending on the gun, that can be true. A barrel blank for an M1A rifle costs about 30 bucks. Thats nothing but a steel bar with a rifled bore through the center. We have about an hour of machine time to complete, which puts the cost at about 85. If an M1A retails for 1400 bucks, I'd say your math is a little off. 1911 .45 pistol barrels, can be purchased completely machined in Stainless domestically for about 75 bucks. Overseas they can be had for half or a little less. A 700 dollar 1911 has a barrel in it that cost about 35-40 bucks to make. I run production for S.A., b.t.w.

Firebaall said:
Well.....

Take a look at this thread. Scroll down a bit, and tell me, that you don't want to pay more for a better gun?

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ub...&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1&vc=1

this is why we don't by weapons or ammo from countries that piss in their drinking water - shitty quality control.

Curling - how deep are the scratches? you could probably get some touch up paint for them if they aren't too bad. if it's cracked, you might spend as much to get it fixed as you would for a brand new one or a used one in perfect condition.

get some body shop estimates if it's cracked then start hunting ebay to see what it'll cost to replace. if it's cheaper to replace, hold onto the old one. you might want to use it (and other slightly torn up bodywork) if you take the bike to the track. better to rash up your old stuff than your Sunday best ya know.

Beyond all the technology and complexity involved in the manufacturing of guns, they are pieces of art. Guns and weapons are wondeful pieces of art. And good art is expensive.

My personal gu stash:

Several shotguns, including two 10 guages. One is sidexside the other over/under

Couple Colt pistols, Jennings pistol, 357 mag

1 30/6 rifle, few 22's

Most of this my dad gave me and I dont even know what they are, just waiting to get a gun cab put in upstairs when I finish. The only thing I got ready to go is the Jennings pistol--all I can handle anyway. That 10ga sxs with 5gram shells was a fucking bitch beforehand.

Top Bottom