Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whey During The Day?

Ok, I was just unsure. I am wondering the same thing even though I am not cutting or bulking. Maintaining while putting on a little muscle.

I was wondering about the milk and whey combo for cutting too. I have a shake in the morning w/ 1% milk and oats and 1 pre-workout....always thought it would slow the absorbtion rate a bit.

I am biased against milk because I can't digest it.....buuuuuut.....

On a restricted calorie diet, I would cut dairy out pretty quickly as lactose (milk sugar) isn't the greatest carb source (and when you're leaning out, you want the most bang for your buck so to speak). I think it's somewhere between sucrose and fructose on the GI index (it's a simple carb).....although it isn't likely you are pounding back a gallon at a time, so the glycemic load will be low.

Glycemic load considers the AMOUNT of a carb being eaten in one sitting, and not just it's GI value - for instance, the glycemic load of a SMALL amount of HIGH GI carbs can be lower than a HIGH amount of LOW GI carbs - e.g., one teaspoon of sugar will have less impact on insulin than a huge bowl of oatmeal, despite the first being simple carbs, and the latter being complex.

Long story short, if your total daily calories are in check, and you are not lactose intolerant - a cup or two of milk with your shake isn't going to stop your fat loss.

Stryc-9 said:
I am biased against milk because I can't digest it.....buuuuuut.....

On a restricted calorie diet, I would cut dairy out pretty quickly as lactose (milk sugar) isn't the greatest carb source (and when you're leaning out, you want the most bang for your buck so to speak). I think it's somewhere between sucrose and fructose on the GI index (it's a simple carb).....although it isn't likely you are pounding back a gallon at a time, so the glycemic load will be low.

Glycemic load considers the AMOUNT of a carb being eaten in one sitting, and not just it's GI value - for instance, the glycemic load of a SMALL amount of HIGH GI carbs can be lower than a HIGH amount of LOW GI carbs - e.g., one teaspoon of sugar will have less impact on insulin than a huge bowl of oatmeal, despite the first being simple carbs, and the latter being complex.

Long story short, if your total daily calories are in check, and you are not lactose intolerant - a cup or two of milk with your shake isn't going to stop your fat loss.

This is interesting..my second meal is a cup of oats and 1 cup (measured) fat free milk. thats the only dairy product i consume in my diet.

The GI of dairy is not high so there for its not a simple carb. The GI and GL of skim milk are low as is fructose. They are two of the lowest GI sugars. But I do agree witht he whole "bang for your buck" thing. I would def. choose oats, or brown rice over milk or fruit.

sublime35 said:
The GI of dairy is not high so there for its not a simple carb. The GI and GL of skim milk are low as is fructose. They are two of the lowest GI sugars. But I do agree witht he whole "bang for your buck" thing. I would def. choose oats, or brown rice over milk or fruit.

Agreed, although I'm speaking in terms of chemical structure - as lactose is a disaccaharide (composed of glucose + galactalose) - it's classified as "simple" regardless of GI. Just as something like maltodextrin is classified as "complex" yet it has a high glycemic rating (very close to dextrose).

Top Bottom