Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What's your take on drug addicts?

superdave said:
This Is An Illegal Drug Discussion Board, Idiots.

I know, that's what makes it so entertaining. I can't stop laughing. Some of you have said that sometimes you use drugs but then other times you don't feel the need so you don't use them and that's that as far as you're concerned. You should ask yourself why you choose to use drugs though at certain times instead of others. Now take whatever reasons you've cited for choosing to use drugs on certain occasions rather than others and pretend as though those reasons are ALWAYS applicable to you. Do you think you'd do drugs more often in that case? Maybe drug addiction is more logical than some of you seem to think. It actually makes a lot of sense to me. In fact, it makes more sense to me than gravity (or any other physical laws for that matter), or even life in general for that matter.

Nathan said:
I know, that's what makes it so entertaining. I can't stop laughing. Some of you have said that sometimes you use drugs but then other times you don't feel the need so you don't use them and that's that as far as you're concerned. You should ask yourself why you choose to use drugs though at certain times instead of others. Now take whatever reasons you've cited for choosing to use drugs on certain occasions rather than others and pretend as though those reasons are ALWAYS applicable to you. Do you think you'd do drugs more often in that case? Maybe drug addiction is more logical than some of you seem to think. It actually makes a lot of sense to me. In fact, it makes more sense to me than gravity (or any other physical laws for that matter), or even life in general for that matter.

MattTheSkywalker said:
There still has to be a punishment for killing people...the purpose of the judicial system is not returning you to the pre-crome cndition, but punishing the wrongdoer.

this just begs a long platonic dialogue on the nature of Justice-- The Republic as I recall-- and even at the end of that they were unsure of the nature of justice.

I thought that justice in our system had something to do with disciple and punishment as well as a detterant to prevent crime. Is that not so?

collegiateLifter said:
I thought that justice in our system had something to do with disciple and punishment as well as a detterant to prevent crime. Is that not so?

when the deterring starts, you let me know.

:)

MattTheSkywalker said:

Well... they try... not that it really works... but at least trying to deter crime is the civilized thing to do. Maybe when society advances a bit more, it will have more of an impact.

MattTheSkywalker said:

witty but not true Matt.

Laws are detterants to committing crimes.

They DO NOT work 100% or even that well arguably.

But it seems that you view it in a false dilemna as either the work or don't.

As such you would argue that they are 0% effective.

I believe that in truth they are somewhere between the two extremes.

collegiateLifter said:
witty but not true Matt.

Laws are detterants to committing crimes.

They DO NOT work 100% or even that well arguably.

But it seems that you view it in a false dilemna as either the work or don't.

As such you would argue that they are 0% effective.

I believe that in truth they are somewhere between the two extremes.

I don't argue for 0% effectiveness. I argue that the effectiveness of laws at deterring crime is irrelevant entirely.

Law is a basis of protecting individual rights. Law exists ONLY to protect the rights of individuals from those who can infringe upon them.

Only criminals and the government can infringe on rights. One of those things is a tiny little segment of society that harms few people. Another is a leviathan with $2T annually at its disposal, as well as the authority to reduce individuals' means of exercising their rights.

Laws exist to punish criminals and control the leviathan. The idea of deterrence is fantasy, as numerous studies have shown that even the death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent.

Ironically, if we reduce the size of the leviathan, we would have fewer criminals. But that's another issue....imagine what $2T injected back into the economy could do....

MattTheSkywalker said:
I don't argue for 0% effectiveness. I argue that the effectiveness of laws at deterring crime is irrelevant entirely.

Law is a basis of protecting individual rights. Law exists ONLY to protect the rights of individuals from those who can infringe upon them.

Only criminals and the government can infringe on rights. One of those things is a tiny little segment of society that harms few people. Another is a leviathan with $2T annually at its disposal, as well as the authority to reduce individuals' means of exercising their rights.

Laws exist to punish criminals and control the leviathan. The idea of deterrence is fantasy, as numerous studies have shown that even the death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent.

Ironically, if we reduce the size of the leviathan, we would have fewer criminals. But that's another issue....imagine what $2T injected back into the economy could do....

I am not sure you fully believe this as after you said it was irrelevant you tried to show it ineffective as well.

These studies by no means show that laws (and their punishments) as whole are entirely unaffective in detterring any type of criminal behavior-- bad data extrapolation.

You can call it pure speculation if you want but I suspect that if we removed penalties for theft -- GTA and larcenies would rise significantly for a long time (yes there would be adaptations but you would have a net sustained increase.)

Also I think you have it kind of backwards.

Gov'ts should exist to secure the rights of the People and to better their lives in ways that do not infringe on said rights-- Is that not a possible hypothesis on the proper nature of Government?

T-Bone said:
Agreed these people may have shitty lives, but all they are doing is taking the easy, short-term option and are not willing to work hard to better their situation, they can't see past their next hit and don't care how much of honest hardworking people's tax money they waste in the process. They are leeches on society and should be shipped off to an island with a boat load of drugs behind them, as long as I don't have to see them or pay for any of it out of the money I work hard for.

Yep, pretty much how I think.

Top Bottom