Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What's your take on 21's

Jim Ouini said:
What's the rationale behind these anyway, something about stressing the bicep throughout the range of motion? Is that possible?

Or is it just a way to psychologically do hi rep bicep curls?

That's a good question - I'd like to hear it answered with some type of coherence and not a "well everyone is different and 21s are kinda different so if the differences intersect it will make for good gains in a different sorta way."

;) My pleasure, MC.

Musclemuscle, I'm not sitting on this damn forum all day and night, so don't act all high and mighty when I don't come within five minutes to make any retort.

Tell me, what is a picture going to prove? Not a damn thing. Argue otherwise all you want, but it's idiotic to say it would showcase my level of knowledge.

Oh, and I'm not 5'7, 123. :)

Please lord, don't tell me you're trying to act tough on an internet disucssion forum. Are you? :FRlol: You "PACK"? Hahaha wow I feel like I'm still in highschool. Go ahead, skin my ass raw. :rolleyes:

Genetics aren't going to cause people to differ so much that they're going to magically "shock" their biceps and grow immensely from a round of 21's or dropsets or any such thing. It might all sound good, but the fact is, there are actual physiological reasons the muscle grows. 21's and drop sets are simply a waste of energy. You certainly won't gain anything from shooting for an intense burn, aside from a long bout of DOMs.

Please, go read up on the HST forums a bit. They actually have a wealth of information there that would be useful to you. Then again, I'm sure you're incapable of understanding half of what's posted there anyway. :FRlol:

I don't think there's any rationale between 21's. The first thing that comes to mind is that three and seven are often viewed as "lucky numbers" in a deal of societies. Twenty-one, being a multiple of seven, seems like the type've thing some superstitious jackass would cook up just to get everyone excited, thinking it's some magical number. Of course, once our body is signalled that the twenty-first repition is hit, it will release an immense amount of GH and your body will spasm, as all the nutrients present in your system are absorbed straight into the biceps, causing a ginormous amount of muscle tissue to form, giving one BULGING BICEPS!!!! :FRlol:

i would give K to madcow2 if i could, but apparently he warranted some just a while ago.....hmmm....probably because HE'S RIGHT!

everyone is different and that makes us all special. we can all go to sleep at night knowing that we are special...but our muscles....are built of the same stuff and react to the same stuff. they react to high reps by building mitochondria and stimulating slow twitch fibers, they react to high loads by stimulating the CNS to recruit as much muscle as possible and develop fast twitch fibers.

so....whats a 21?

21s:- You nominally split the biceps curl into three sections: upper, middle and lower. The middle one overlaps the other two, IIRC. You then do 7 reps in just the upper, 7 reps in the middle and 7 in the lower. It's pretty much guaranteed to give a peak to your biceps.

Ok, that last sentence was bollocks but they're just another way to shoot for pump and burn and they can be very effective in doing that. Whether pump and burn are effective or efficient methods of accruing long-term biceps growth is another matter entirely.

Wow...I didn't want to start an argument or anything...I personally don't do much direct bi work...I usually kill my back then when I'm finished do a couple sets of curls or something (if I'm able to)...But I appreciate everyones opinions..MADCOW thanks a lot for the sites..going to check them out as soon as I finish this post...I was just curious to get the opinions of what you guys though of them...I'm new to the game only about 4 years in and overtrained the shit out of my body for probably 1 1/2 to 2 years of that time...I guess that's what I get for believing everything I read in a mag or hear at the gym...Shoot I just started doing deads and squats this year thanks to EF, but now isn't the time to give my testimony..Just wanted to say appreciate the info...
Thanks
Griff

Blut Wump said:
21s:- You nominally split the biceps curl into three sections: upper, middle and lower. The middle one overlaps the other two, IIRC. You then do 7 reps in just the upper, 7 reps in the middle and 7 in the lower. It's pretty much guaranteed to give a peak to your biceps.

Ok, that last sentence was bollocks but they're just another way to shoot for pump and burn and they can be very effective in doing that. Whether pump and burn are effective or efficient methods of accruing long-term biceps growth is another matter entirely.

I thought it was 7 in the lower, followed by 7 in the upper and then 7 complete reps? IMO they're good for a pump if nothing else...

You could be right, probably are, or maybe there are just variations. I never did them myself and haven't seen them done in a decade or more. I long ago lost interest in watching people spinning their arms.

zee said:
I thought it was 7 in the lower, followed by 7 in the upper and then 7 complete reps? IMO they're good for a pump if nothing else...
yeah that is what I was talking about...the 7 upper, 7 lower, the 7 complete..

Have you ever tried alternate one-legged DB 21s? You do the upper 7 with one DB while doing the lower 7 with the other DB simultanously then switch over for 7 and then do the full sevens with each arm out of sync with the other.

Doing it on one leg really gets a pump into the core.

tgriff said:
Wow...I didn't want to start an argument or anything...I personally don't do much direct bi work...I usually kill my back then when I'm finished do a couple sets of curls or something (if I'm able to)...But I appreciate everyones opinions..MADCOW thanks a lot for the sites..going to check them out as soon as I finish this post...I was just curious to get the opinions of what you guys though of them...I'm new to the game only about 4 years in and overtrained the shit out of my body for probably 1 1/2 to 2 years of that time...I guess that's what I get for believing everything I read in a mag or hear at the gym...Shoot I just started doing deads and squats this year thanks to EF, but now isn't the time to give my testimony..Just wanted to say appreciate the info...
Thanks
Griff

Griff, your question was fine. If you never ask, you never learn and judging from what you wrote I'm betting those links are going to be put to great use. Read the dual factor/controlled overtraining article very carefully and then take a look at the 5x5 program (both the dual factor and single factor versions in the table of contents in the other link - there are a ton of things linked so just browse and read whatever you are interested in - I'd suggest just read the topics available first and then go at your own pace).

The way this thread went is the reason I usually like to avoid some topics that I just know are going to get filled with misinformation and make for a pain in the butt. That said, it looks like you are sincerely interested in this stuff so that makes it worthwhile. Best of luck to you and I have every confidence you will find the material eye openning. Also, keep in mind that none of it is cutting edge and all of it is very common around the entire world - it's BBing and Weider that are decades behind and basically rely on drugs to makeup for bad training.

Top Bottom