Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Whats up with eating Peanuts for fat intake?

S

solidj55

Is this cool? I know a lot of people eat natty PB but why not just eat peanuts?

solidj55 said:
Is this cool? I know a lot of people eat natty PB but why not just eat peanuts?

well its a real bitch cracking and unrolling the skin off every two peanuts before eating. And packaged ones always contain preservative; ie. sodium, which can easily add up it your total recommended intake. Natty PB is great cause its just fresh roasted peanuts that are purried; cant get much more organic than that.

peanuts /PB is not the best source of fat: there is little omega 3s

fish oil/flax seed oil is a way better source of EFAs

Anthrax said:
peanuts /PB is not the best source of fat: there is little omega 3s

fish oil/flax seed oil is a way better source of EFAs

Exactly....but if you want to eat nuts then eat any of them except peanuts, like almonds for example. The fat from peanuts is not the good fat

Well here is something I found on peanuts:

"
Rice and Nuts: Bad Foods?

Q: I notice you don't mention rice in the "good carbs" list you provided in one of your Lean Eatin' articles. How come? And what about peanuts? You say to eat mixed nuts, but to avoid peanuts. What's up with that, homey?

A: While peanuts are good sources of monounsaturated fatty acids, they do present problems for enough people to exercise caution. At least 1 to 3% of the US population (that's about three million people) is estimated to have peanut allergies. If you're among this group you probably already know it since Skippy undoubtedly has sent you to the emergency room.

While I don't have a lot of support for my caution, I'm cautious about hyper-allergenic foods for the remainder of the population (i.e. milk, peanuts, etc). I speculate that food allergy isn't an all or nothing thing. There's probably a spectrum to food allergy, meaning that certain foods may not cause anaphylactic reactions, but may lead to "sub-clinical" problems, meaning physiological stress.

In normal peanut allergy, the body produces an immune response to some of the components of the peanut. This response leads to an intense physiological stressor (anaphylaxis — the throat swells shut). However, if my speculation is true, then many individuals may experience some type of milder "stress" as a result of the allergen.

As you well know, whenever the body is suffering from stress — whether training stress, job stress, or digestive stress — cortisol levels rise. Chronic elevation of cortisol is linked to muscle growth impairment, increased fat gain, and risk for many disease states.

Due to the high likelihood of peanut allergy (however mild it may present) and the stress that's associated with it, it's wise to just avoid peanuts and other allergenic foods altogether. Although I realize that peanut butter has been a dietary staple of my iron brotherhood for generations, there are certainly better sources of dietary protein out there as well as alternate sources of dietary fat.

As far as your rice question, my rationale is this: Simply put, I avoid recommending very carbohydrate-dense foods, despite what the glycemic or insulin indices tell us. While rice and pastas are reasonable on these lists, these foods provide a very large amount of carbohydrate in a small serving size and they are low in fiber. This makes it easy to overeat on these foods by randomly selecting portion sizes. But even if you do moderate your servings, these foods may end up leaving you unsatisfied due to the low volume to calorie ratio. "

You can see if at http://www.testosterone.net/articles/214app.html

I eat a lot of trail mix with mixed nuts and dehydrated fruit. I use it as a "treat" and think it is a lot better than junk food. You can buy nuts that don't have extra sodium in the health food sections of many stores. Of course, they aren't cheap. I probably spend $15-20/wk on nuts.

Top Bottom