Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What to do about lagging quad and calves

Jackbeanstalk

You all know the type: the guys in the gym with the stellar upper bodies that seem to always wear long pants to hide their legs. I know inherited genetics and smaller muscle bellies can contribute to the "little leg syndrome". I've seen many guys with arms almost as big as their legs. Can anyone tell me the best things to do about this symmetrical nightmare? Upper body does well, can't seem to get any size in the calves or quads, have tried so many different workout changes, doing legs more than upper, etc., but nothing! Any advice is appreciated, JB

Heavy compound lifts have added substantial size to my quads and hamstrings-mostly squats, hack squats, front squats and deadlifts. I attribute alot of it to pyramiding with back squats and keeping accessory lifts in the mid to high rep range.

I have poor genetics when it comes to calves, but have noticed an increase in calf size despite never isolating them...just overflow from bigger proximal muscles can elicit growth.

I don't buy that those big upper body/small leg guys have "bad genetics"

It's a mental thing, most guys don't like training legs so they do it half ass, and there you have it....

~EZ

I don't buy that those big upper body/small leg guys have "bad genetics"

It's a mental thing, most guys don't like training legs so they do it half ass, and there you have it....

~EZ

Totally agree!!!

How often do you see guys training their chest, back, arms and shoulders with High intencity and then when it's time for legs they either skip it all together or do a few sets of leg presses, leg extensions and leg curls and call it a day?
Yep that's how to build some good legs!

If your legs and back are used to being worked then try the 10x3.
Do this 2 days per week on squats or you can alternate 1 day squats and one day leg press.
But you need to work your ass off for this to work. Those 3 reps have to be killa bro. By the time you get to your 10th set you should in tears.
If you use the leg press do it like this,
no stopping at the top or at the bottom. Just one fluid motion. Think of your legs going like a piston in a car engine.
Also you gonna need to eat to support this program-to get the full effect out of it.
Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works.

Anyone have the link to Nelson's 5-minute calf workout?

~EZ

you should work your legs as much as your upper body. most everyone does not. the leg machines and squat section at my gym are never full, but the bench press and free weights section are packed. something doesn't add up when that is the case.

i would set up your leg splits and then hit deadlifts and squats alternating.. in other words do deadlifts one workout, then squats the next time u do legs.. back and forth.. i would aim for 5-6 sets. work them as hard as your upper body, just pretend you are benching. then i would isolate the quads using machines and then attack the calves and midia. you will grow like a weed starting out with compound lifts then isolating the leg muscles. no different then working out the upper body

Top Bottom