Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what drives you to compete??

luv2workout

I want to know from those of you who have competed (or plan to soon) what is the motivation behind it? Im not talking to those of you, like Fitness Chick, who will go on to be a national competitor/fitness models either...I talking to the girls who do one or two local shows for whatever reason....

Is it just for the experience? The desire to see how much you can transform your body in 16 wks? To show everyone just how good you look? What is it exactly??

I throw around competing in my head....for me, it will only be for the experience, to learn what Im/body is capable of....one minute Im "gung ho" gonna do it, next minute Im thinking - all that hard work - is it really worth it?

Pumpgirl once said (hope you dont mind me quoting you) "I dont need to get on stage to have some stranger tell me if I look better/worse than the girl standing next to me,what do they know? I have my mirror" or something like that....that really is so true....who knows what the judges want that day, or who knows who that night, etc....

So tell me girls....why do you do it?

I haven't competed YET - but I can tell you why I am seriously thinking about it:

Simply put - to have a goal to work towards. To have a reason for all of my hard work. To have motivation to pull me through the rough spots....the light at the end of the tunnel.

VDL

I do it for the challenge..I love competition always was in sports and very competitive all my life. I love to train..and prepare myself for a show..Like to challenge myself mentally and physically...I am never satisfied either..I always want to improve and take it to another level..I love to WIN! I want to be the best I personally can be and reach my ultimate goal I have set for myself..Its exciting..and the rush is great!! Cant describe it...Its become a part of me...training and being in the gym is my lifestyle and I enjoy taking my body and putting it on stage and seeing where I fall into place w/ other women doing the same thing..motivates me!!! My goal is to do well at nationals this year..and pro card is ultimate goal for me..that is what drives me and makes me tick:)

I personally never seriously expected I could compete. A guy I trained with about 10 years ago said I should consider it, but I had no one around to even look at and see what it looks like. More recently I got into because the trainer I had hired suggested it as a goal. I had done all the training for several years and finally started picking up on the diet component - so a target date helped me pull it all together. It was a tangible goal, given that I was already "living the lifestyle", and also seemd to give some credibility to why I was doing the 6 meals/2 hrs training + cardio regimen when people asked me why I did it. Also there was a certain mystic about people who competed that I wanted in on.

As a result, some of the mystic is gone -- it is NOT a glamorous experience by any stretch of the imagination. I NEVER would've done shit like eat nothing but orange roughy & broccoli for a week to prep for a competition. And the 2 days living in Pro Tan - jeezus. And of course, the ever lovin protein farts, soreness, etc etc etc. But for the glory of those few minutes on stage, I did it.

I took it all as a challenge to myself vs. a competition w/ other people. It was something different to add to my repetoire of life experiences, helped me deal w/ my lifelong stage fright and also to be a STRONG, RIPPED 35 year old, vs the kinda chubby 16 year old w/ zits that I always felt like. And of course I have these great horror stories to tell newbies! ;)

I highly recommend it to those who are looking for a goal for their training & dedication, if nothing else, just to challenge themselves. HOWEVER I also highly recommend preparing yourself so you understand what it is and how to deal w/ it. Go see a couple shows w/ someone who is familiar with them to see what they look like and what the competition expectations are. Then find someone to help you prep - tan, routine / posing, pre-contest diet, and for the ladies, someone who will help you with your "look" as well. And have at least a one-person support group when you start doing low-carb days and have to deal w/ the mental & physical stress of it all. And go in with a good attitude - it is exciting and its one of the hardest, most dedicated sports you could ever pursue because every moment you are awake or asleep you are in training to look a certain way at a certain time on a certain day. And when you hit the stage - ENJOY it!

When I was younger I use to get picked on about my height and my abusive father telling me that I would never amount to anything. So I basically get driven by all that to prove those losers that they are wrong and you can do anything when you put your mind to it.

i've never been to a show. i've watched a few on tv.. but just wondering... any protein fart mishaps ever happen on stage? ;)

sorry, i couldn't resist :p

seriously, i totally respect you ladies for the sacrifices you make to compete. i love being able to learn from u all on this board!

Thanks to the ladies who responded....

Sassy - great, from the heart response...just what I was looking for...I can relate to every part of it...congrats to you!!!

It is hard to describe to others who dont understand the desire to compete...my hubby, for one, "why would you do all that for just a little ole trophy?" uuugghhhh!!!

Well the reason why I compete is not to "win" but its to see my body transform to something that most people just cannot do. I love being in contest shape. Its crazy to see all the striations and veins, its sooo motivating. I train to get big, not just average, but BIG. I am not satisfied at being 124 on stage... I want to be 155 on stage, long term. That is my driving force. To constantly try to be bigger. I won't settle for anything less and if in the process I win a few shows and (hopefully) get a pro card, that would be awesome!!!

My one other reason of competing is the rush you get when you're on stage and you hit a great shot and the audience goes crazy. :D Its the best feeling knowing they are impressed w/ how you look up there...

There are some competitive people who just really get off on being the center of attention and the whole "i'm better than everyone else" thing -which is fine.

But I think for a lot of people, at least those doing their first few or are not career competitors, it is truly the culmination of a huge effort & lifestyle modification that sort of justifies the whole thing -- its not the challenge against other people or desire to be on stage - its your moment to revel in your accomplishments. I'm not one to "strut" around a gym or any of that -- but just once in a venue where people are there to appreciate physque, I want to go up and show what I've accomplished and get some feedback.
I think that's the biggest thrill out of it - you can go up on stage and tell the world "LOOK AT ME! I ROCK! LOOK WHAT I"VE ACCOMPLISHED AND I FUCKIN HAPPY TO BE HERE!" (NO CLAP FOR ME, DAMMIT! ;) )

Top Bottom