Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what does lifting light weights actually do to your muscles?

Let me make a comparison here...Honestly I have always stayed in the 4-12 rep range and size gains were plentiful when doing 5 reps or 10 reps...so I don't know if there is a "one size fits all" rep range...

Anyways in DC training trainees are often use rest pause sets...that is one all out set to failure and two rest pause mini sets....sometimes the 15-30 rep range RP is used for smaller muscles such as biceps and triceps...and I don't hear anyone of those trainees complaining about those high reps aren't translating to size gains...

Also look at the 20 rep squat..20 REPS!!Most people I know will swear by the 20 rep squat as a great mass builder...also very taxing cardiovascular wise...

Gotta agree with Wnt2 here as well you can do a HARD set of 15 reps and still gain size ...or a HARD set of 5 reps and still gain size....the problems occur when people do sets with a weight they can easily do for 20 reps and then use it for 15 reps....

It all comes down to preference really...if you are used to lifting in the 6 rep range try going up to 10-12 reps and see what happens..most likely you will gain some size...

Sorry for the long post! I really need to abbreviate these:)

What Synpax said, you destroy the crossbridges when you go heavy and more myofibrils are added into the muscle cell thereby increasing the volume and contractile strength.

thanx for the replies guys but everyone is talking about 'heavy', I know what happens when you go heavy, your muscles tear and rebuild bigger but I wanna know what happens when they rebuild and don't get bigger, do they rebuild the same as before or more dense?

LeeJunFan said:
thanx for the replies guys but everyone is talking about 'heavy', I know what happens when you go heavy, your muscles tear and rebuild bigger but I wanna know what happens when they rebuild and don't get bigger, do they rebuild the same as before or more dense?

I think what they are saying bro, is that if you are working out properly, then whether it is in the rep range of 5 or 15 you will get the same results =muscles tear and build bigger...if you are working out whether it is high rep or low rep, and you are not getting bigger, then you are doing something wrong!!!

I dont think there is any such thing as working out and not gaining if you are doing it correctly. I personally cant stand to do more than 8 reps, I get bored, some peopel cant stand to do less than 10 cuz they feel it doesnt accomplish anything, the thing to focus should not be on the rep range, it should be to "failure" if at the end you are crumbling!!! good shit, if you get up thinking "man that was easy" then your not pushing yourself, so quit fucking around and add some weight!!! LOL

I hope that awnsers your question better

the real question here is if they aren't getting bigger how do you know they are rebuilding leejun? muscles only get bigger/more dense when they need to, if the resistance isn't there they will just stay the same size or even decrease in size

Deathbydefault said:
...muscles only get bigger/more dense when they need to...

so you are saying that they can either get bigger or become more dense?
that's what I wanted to know, so if you are doing light(er) weights and higher reps your muscles aren't getting bigger but are getting more dense?
And if that is the case how do your muscles become more dense?
Basically, if I did weights every week for 5 years but did not gain any muscle size, how would my muscles differ from when I started until after the 5 years, would they be more dense keeping in mind I won't have gotten any bigger.

p.s. I am asking the question because I wanna know what I am doing to my muscles when I weight train, I personally don't want to get any bigger that I am now so I work in the 8-10 rep range, I play a lot of squash and being to muscular would hinder performance.

Many thanx for the info and comments!

Working in higher rep ranges has been shown to increase capilary densification. It has also been proven to increase Lactic Acid threshold.

A trainer that is seeking for density and strength should stay between 1-5 reps. Where as if you are looking more for size, a person would do higher reps.
Since you are looking to stay the same size I would suggest staying in the 1-5 rep range with only a few sets per exercise.

1-5 reps is the range a powerlifter would be lifting in..i would just stick with 8-10 but try and add weight..high reps / low weight has not been proven to make your muscles more dense, i don't think there is a rep range/weight range that is specifically for making your muscles more dense, i'd just lift hard and heavy for years if you want dense muscles..

Top Bottom