Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

westside ME sets

big calvin

ok i dont know if this is correct but yets say for bench ME day would the sets look like this

400lb max bench

weight*reps
50*5
50*5
100*3
100*3
150*3
200*3
250*1
300*1
350*1
400*1

is this correct? that mean im only doing 1 real set right? please correct me if im wrong..

and a second little question is on speed day, if say im doing 210 for 8 sets of 3 , fast, do i just let the weight drop for the negative? i mean even on box squats? wouldnt that miss up my back when i sit down fast?

thanks,
big calvin

Well first off you wouldn't be doing the bench press for max effort bench day. Instead you would choose one of the many movements that are similar to the bench...ie floor press, board press, reverse band press.

As for your progression on the max effort sets...looks about right. Do triples until they become heavy...then do singles. Keep going until you miss. The last rep that you successfully completed will be your PR for that movement. When you use that exercise again on ME day you would try to break that PR.

As for the speed bench question...as long as you are in control of the weight you should bring it down AFAP...catching it just off the chest to build reversal strength. The faster the weight is lowered the faster it can potentially be lifted...due to the kinetic energy that is stored. One point on bench form that is overlooked is the need to "spread the bar". While benching you should attempt to spread the bar apart...pulling your hands out...HARD!! This activates all the muscles of the shoulder girdle and helps to keep you tight.

Hope this helps...good luck

thanks hannibal, ok the sets i got that now.....ohh i know there are the other exercises i can which for me and my equitment are floor press, close bench, board(or pin) presses, incline close bench press. but i would include the normal bench press in there to right?

ok so in other words i should try right before it hits my chest or for squat the box and start pushing so it bearlly touches the box or chest?

thanks again hannibal

Just my 2 cents but if you like flat benching like i do just alternate it as a ME exercise. And a side not when you box squat speed day. Do not fall onto the box stay in control but come up as fast as possible. And i mean fast as possible. No more then 1 minute between sets.

Listen to powerlifterjay...do not fall onto the box for squats. And do not try to just touch the box. Sit back onto the box...then while keeping everything tight...release the hip flexors...the reflex them and begin to rise off the box...head first pushing feet out not down.

If using flat benches as a ME exercise works for ya then do it. Perhaps close grip benches would be better...or regular flat benches with chains to make it more difficult.

how would i release the hip flexors? i mean as soon as i set down u mean like make my abs(lower and upper legs loose. then tighten them up and go again? i do this on DE day also?

ohh and this may be the dumbest question but what do u make the squat box out of? just a bench or like something like concreate? and put a pillow of it ;)

thanks hannibal

"The top of the box should be 24x24. This will allow for one to sit way back without falling off the box.

"The best way to build the box is to actually build a series of boxes. The box can be made out of 2x4s set to equate the dimensions above. Set the 2x4s so they form a box. Use 3/4 inches plywood for the top. This will make a 4 inch box. Then all you have to do is duplicate the box 2 more times.

"You'll place one box down then put a rubber mat on top of it followed by the next box, then another mat. If you build the boxes this way and also have a 1 inch and 2 inch board, you'll be able to size any lifter.

"It's important to use the rubber mat to keep the boxes from sliding. This is how I'd recommend building the boxes. If you built just one box at 12 or 14 inches then you wouldn't be able to do any low box work. There are some movements we perform on a 6 to 8 inch box."

— Dave Tate

Dave notes that there are probably other ways to go about this, but this is how they do it at Westside.

As a side note I found 1" thick mats hard to find. I wound up buying a horse stall mat (4'x6') at a feed store and cut it into 6 mats...works well actually and only cost $40

Max Effort bench day

Hello. I am a newbie here but a long time Westside "follower".

Hannibal is absolutely 100%. You should also miss your last attempt (have a spotter or pins). It is ok to miss, the most important thing is that you strain.

ok i just have 1 last question, im feeling like its alot of work and it may lead to over training...my question is why couldnt do both ME and DE in one day? but in stead of like this:

bench day:
bench press 3*5+5*3
and the rest of the exercises..

and to compansate for the lower sets, instead of doing bench one a week heavy and once a week light(so its only 1 real heavy workout a week) i would do it every 5 days, like 1 day on(bench), on day off,1 day on(squat) one day off.

couldnt that work just as good?

You answered it yourself

The main reason is that it is too much work. If you add up the total volume (the 8x3 and the M.E. sets) it would be too much tonnage. Also, the point of Westside is to work on your weak points. You do this with assistance exercises and M.E. lifts. If you do dynamic on the same day, where is your weak point training? Throw it all together (it would be a long workout) and you have way too much work.

Louie also says the body gets "confused" doing too different types in one workout, but the Russians used to do it- its called a complex set.

Top Bottom