Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

University taught Jui-Jitsu class - please reply since I'd need to register by Mon

young guns

Alright guys here's the deal. I'm currently doing mixed martial arts 2 nights a week.

I'm starting my last semester of school, and am registered for 12 credits. Since full time tuition rate is the same from 12-18 credits, I could add a one credit JJ class, and the only additional charge would be for the Gi ($95), which my student loan will still cover. So basically, I'd pay $95 for 4 months worth of jui-jitsu, at 2 one hour sessions a week.

So would this be worthwhile? Does anyone has experience with classes taught to University students?

I will continue doing the MMA, and would just add this as a complement to my ground arsenal. But is it going to be a waste of time for me? Keep in mind, I have only been doing MMA for 2 months, and 4 classes (that I was there for - I missed a couple due to being out of town) were dedicated to ground work. So I'm definitely still a beginner.

One thing that bothers me is that the expected class size is 40, and there's currently 28 enrolled. How can an instructor effectively teach that many people? And I hate to assume, but since the instructor is teaching a a university, I can't see them being a top notch instructor, who I would think would have their own gym.

i got started by taking judo as a college class

any mat time is going to help you if you put some effort into it

I went to the first class today, then dropped it.

It's not that I wouldn't have gotten benefit from it. But, while it's called jui-jitsu, it's basically a judo class. The instructor is Master Kim, the one who another member (alwayson) said was one of the best judo instructors in the world and was very famous. The assistant instructors were both judo students of his at his dojo outside of the University.

That's all great but, it's not what I was looking for. I want bjj or a mixed submission grappling style applicable to NHB style fighting (hence me taking MMA - and yes I know some judo is applicable and used in NHB grappling). Plus, the class was way too "traditional" for me. Terminology in another language, an instructor I can't understand, having to wear a Gi, ect.

I just didn't want to pay the $110 for phys-ed and gi fees for a class that wasn't really what I was looking for (although in the grand scheme of things that is very cheap for 4 month of 2 day/week training from a very qualified judo instructor). Oh well.

how much mma experience do you currently have? what are you taking now? what are you looking to improve?

did you talk to the instructor?

Top Bottom