Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Two-A-Days (cardio and lifting split) Anyone have good advice?

oxymoron

Plat Hero
Platinum
I've been moderately lifting since I was real active here 3 yrs ago, but sucking ass in the cardio dept. Meat, potatoes and occasional beers is starting to get the best of me. Work has taken over but I still make my way into the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Strength is decent, but my cardio fitness level is garbage. Unfortunately I work late and have to be home at reasonable hour so I'm thinking I can lift during lunch, drink a shake and eat some meat and veggies back at my desk. Then, hit the gym 6 - 7pm for cardio. Simple enough, but I thought I'd bounce it off the folks here for feedback... Negatives to this? I guess overtraining is a worry. Hurting gains on legs? Stats are 213 lbs, 6'2", mid to high teens bf, lifts for example... bench 205 3 sets of 10-12, squats 225-245 4 sets of 10-12. Goals would be keep strength but lose 15 lbs of fat in 6ish weeks. I'll probably make a diet post soon in that section :)

Among the negative sides of this approach I could mentione more difficulties gaining muscle mass. However, I see that your main goal here is to lose some fat, and doing cardio, even if it is done on the same day with weight training, is a good thing to do. However, why not just do the cardio on the other 3-4 days per week when you do not do weight training? 3-4 times per week are plenty.

It's actually best to separate your cardio and weight workouts so your individual workout volume isn't excessive in length. Once your workout becomes longer then 90 minutes, cortisol levels start to really increase. A traditional weight workout + cardio would take about 2 hours which can promote muscle catabolism towards the end.

When you split up your weight and cardio workouts, each workout is much shorter and more enjoyable. You also get two metabolism boosts throughout the day instead of just one.

Your plan looks good to me.

I see no issues with your split. If losing fat is your main goal then just make sure you lift at a fast pace with very little rest between sets. Keep that heart rate up just like your cardio workouts.

Thanks fellas. I just did this for the second day and I feel great. I'm thinking what I'll do to get the fat loss going is superset big muscle groups during the lunch hour with no breaks. Then 45min - 1hr of cardio evenings.

I see no issues with your split. If losing fat is your main goal then just make sure you lift at a fast pace with very little rest between sets. Keep that heart rate up just like your cardio workouts.

Today I did chest and back.... bench and t-bar rows (4 sets each), cable flys and lat pull downs (4 sets), dumbbell flys and dumbbell rows (3 sets), pec deck and seated rows (barely finished 4 sets). I was frickin wore out.

Cardio (2mi run and elliptical) was slow going tonight but after a couple weeks my fitness level should be catching up and I'll kick my belly's ass.

Top Bottom