Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Treasure's new life: a journal

kitstreasure

As a new user allow me to introduce myself, my name is Treasure. I am a homeschooling mom of 4 and a former triathlete. I am an herbalist, midwife, and a student. I am currently pursuing my MCPT from AFPA. And most importantly, I am on a journey to heal my body and reclaim my health. I have MS, and broke my back a few years ago and suffer chronic pain from it. A series of incompetent doctor's has led me to decide to leave traditional healthcare far behind me. I am happily married to my wonderfully supportive husband, Kit. (Get it now: Kit's Treasure= kitstreasure?)

Over the last month or so, I have been researching possible treatments/cures for my health issues. Over and over again, I am reminded that diet and exercise are what's needed to get to a good foundation for the body to heal itself. So, my journey begins.

I am starting from the ground up, currently there is no plan, no diet, no trainer, no gym (there isn't one for 100 miles in any direction from where I live). The last thing my doctor suggested after I turned down yet another attempt for surgery of various kinds was a fat free, sugar free, sweetener free, VEGAN diet.... So, that leads me to why I'm here and spilling my guts to you wonderful people. I haven't trained in years, and while I do still remember the basics and the concepts, I don't remember how to plan a training schedule or figure my nutrient needs, etc.

My goals:
1) Lose fat/weight (Currently around 250ish, wearing a size 22 and 5'5) (Yes, I know there are millions of weight-loss websites out there, but that's not what I'm looking for.)
2) Regain muscle function and flexibility
3) Build lean muscle
4) Regain/build endurance
5) Return to competing in triathlons.

Where I am now:
I know couch potatoes that guzzle beer that are healthier than I am, but I've made the mental commitment to do this. I'm basically fresh from 2 years flat on my back in the hospital and 33 years old.

So, if tomorrow you were to wake up an unhealthy, heavily injured (car accident), fat couch potato and had to do it all over again knowing what you've learned over the years, what would your plan be?

Breakfast:
3 eggs
2TB On the border Salsa Con Queso (45 calories)
2 cups cappuccino (Getting rid of this after today,)
Calories: 455

Lunch:
6oz Swai Fillet with Lemon Pepper
1/2 c steamed brown rice
1/2 c green beans
24 ozs Water
Calories: 275

Snack:
6 oz Swai Fillet
1/2 c brown rice
Calories: 263

Last edited:
Psizzle,
Thanks for the welcome. I've had my nose buried in the links from Superq from that thread all day :D. I've been reading and re-reading the whole slew of advice from her and Tami.

I should add something: the surgery the dr was trying to get me to agree to was gastric bypass/lapband etc. not something for my back or joints or anything actually helpful.

Welcome to EF kitstreasure :)

Did you do any physiotherapy after you broke your back? I assume you did, but maybe you could list the exercises that did seem to help. What type of MS do you have? When did you compete in triathlons, to the point where you broke your back? It sounds like you have certainly had obstacles to overcome! Good for you for committing to yourself and your health :)

Did your doctor suggest a vegan diet for weight loss or is it supposed to help with pain relief?

To answer your question, if I woke up an 'unhealthy, heavily injured (car accident), fat couch potato and had to do it all over again' I would read as much as possible (which you are doing :)) and I would start making healthy changes that I enjoy. For me, if I don't enjoy what I'm doing I don't stick to it.

The first step is the biggest, and you've made it! But I think that you should set small goals for yourself. Instead of thinking only of your ultimate goal (a triathlon), think of smaller ones, getting your diet plan together, following your diet, doing exercise you like. Write all these things here in your journal and we will all be here to support you!

Thanks, Cangal!

Actually, I did triathlons until I broke my hip at 21. When I broke my back they insisted I would never walk again and refused to provide me physical or physiological therapy either one since I was a "lost cause". Shows what they knew, within 6 months I was on a walker and inside 18 months I was competitively swimming again. At this time, what helps the most with the pain (since I took myself off the Rx narcotics and muscle relaxers) is inversion therapy which I do twice a day for 10-15 minutes (more if needed or time allows). As for the type of MS I have it's RR (Remitting/Relapse), so I have periods of fairly symptom free days followed by days of severe worsening. Since the diagnosis is still new we're not sure if it's the Progressive RR or simple RR. (I'm hoping for the simple.)

The idiot I fired is a vegan himself and has ethical issues with people eating meat, and the context in which he recommended the diet, I think it was intended to brow beat me into agreeing to surgery. He suggested Gastric Bypass (again), I refused, and he said, "Then you need to go on a fat-free, sugar-free, sweetener-free vegan diet. Dr. Fuhrman wrote a decent one." Since this was also the same appointment where I refused to go on a second round of chemo for my MS, I'm not entirely sure he wasn't just trying to get rid of me as a patient.

BUT, the silver lining to this horrible history is that it has led me to starting my MCPT courses through AFPA, and resuming my studies for my bachelor's in natural health/herbology/midwifery.

Cangirl, you are right though, about me needing to have smaller goals along the way. As silly as it is, I'm working on focusing on giving up my caloric drinks right now, and trying to just start moving again until I have a real plan in place. Since I'm having to do this rehab without the help of a trainer, coach, or partner, I'm taking baby-baby steps and relying on the information I can find elsewhere. I do at least have two built in cheerleaders in my older two daughters.

I'm cleaning out my kitchen this week from all the "bad" foods that tempt me to eat the wrong things, and trying to restock with the healthier foods. (Food is my BIG thing right now since that is such an important foundation and something I can do regardless of pain levels.)

So far today, I've had a total of 48ozs straight water, and 20 ozs cappuccino. I'm working on my third 24 oz water bottle.

Last edited:
Welcome to Elite Kitstreasure, If I woke up from an accident out of shape I would embark on two things that has always given me the drive and determination to succeed, one-Rome wasn't built in a day! Number Two-The journey to greatness begins with just one step.......and congrats, you've already taken it!

I've been in this game over 45 yrs so if you ever feel like picking my brain feel free to do so anytime.

Welcome to Elite Kitstreasure, If I woke up from an accident out of shape I would embark on two things that has always given me the drive and determination to succeed, one-Rome wasn't built in a day! Number Two-The journey to greatness begins with just one step.......and congrats, you've already taken it!

I've been in this game over 45 yrs so if you ever feel like picking my brain feel free to do so anytime.
^^^ this guy is one of our most trusted vets and one of the few I trust to go to with questions and advice. One of the best guys I know

Your posts, Psizzle, and Radar's are part of what convinced me to join this board and start this journal. I agree with you 100% Radar's full of wisdom.

Radar is the grandpa I never had

;)

Welcome to the site, all the members in this thread are extremely respected here and know the ins and outs like noone's business.

Good luck on your path back to great fitness, like radar said, you've taken the first step! Where it takes you now is up to you, but we'll be here to help when you need! Feel free to pick our brains!

Top Bottom