Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

training fast and slow twitch simultaneously

zipzopzippity

I've always pondered combining these two approaches. I've experimented in the past, but never really found a solid approach that gives results without overtraining.

Id like to hear peoples ideas on things like "squatting, rowing, deadlifting, benching heavy with low reps, then training the slow twitch muscle fibers with high reps with pushups, pullups, dips and other low intensity exercises"

Can you do both without overtraining? If so, how? Heavy one day, light the next? Heavy and light in same workout? Two weeks heavy, one week light, rinse n repeat? Any ideas?

I've always pondered combining these two approaches. I've experimented in the past, but never really found a solid approach that gives results without overtraining.

Id like to hear peoples ideas on things like "squatting, rowing, deadlifting, benching heavy with low reps, then training the slow twitch muscle fibers with high reps with pushups, pullups, dips and other low intensity exercises"

Can you do both without overtraining? If so, how? Heavy one day, light the next? Heavy and light in same workout? Two weeks heavy, one week light, rinse n repeat? Any ideas?

I go heavy and mix in the light stuff as burnouts at the end. I do this until my body gets worn down the I deload for a week. I only deload a couple times a year. You have to know your body and when it needs to rest.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

I see. I may try doing my heavy compound movements at the start of my workouts. I lift in the 3 to 5 rep range with two - three mintes of rest between sets, 3 to 5 sets. Then I will finish my workouts with an HIIT type of body weight resistance like:

Squat, bench, row heavy.
20 mins of circuit training with jump rope, burbees, dips, pullups, pushups, boxing.
Then cool down and bounce.

I see. I may try doing my heavy compound movements at the start of my workouts. I lift in the 3 to 5 rep range with two - three mintes of rest between sets, 3 to 5 sets. Then I will finish my workouts with an HIIT type of body weight resistance like:

Squat, bench, row heavy.
20 mins of circuit training with jump rope, burbees, dips, pullups, pushups, boxing.
Then cool down and bounce.

Its going to take some experimenting but eventually you will find a good balance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

I've been meaning to experiment with this as well. I had a buddy in college that was sport science and he swore to make consistent gains you had to cycle slow twitch vs fast a few weeks each. He used to do 30-50 reps for a week or so then switch to 6-8 reps for two to three wks then back. Btw he was effin stacked natty back then.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the Elitefitness App.

Well, it depends on your goals I think. Slow twitch muscle fiber work really won't improve a body builders look..I believe they don't really grow in mass, just efficiency in muscular endurance etc.

So, I'm not sure training slow twitch fibers does much for the body building approach, just athletic endurance. Sounds like your buddy was talking about making gains in overall fitness when he said u gotta cycle between low and high reps?

I've been meaning to experiment with this as well. I had a buddy in college that was sport science and he swore to make consistent gains you had to cycle slow twitch vs fast a few weeks each. He used to do 30-50 reps for a week or so then switch to 6-8 reps for two to three wks then back. Btw he was effin stacked natty back then.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the Elitefitness App.

Really huh? Interesting...never heard or seen this before

It's usually about the body adapting to the given stimulus. It's best to train in a way that is both challenging and fun. I will cycle low rep with high rep over phases. Just out of sheer boredum.
A body builder who is natty probably will do good on bouts of higher reps because it stresses the cardiac system to 1. pump more blood 2. create more blood. and needs to lift heavy to get bigger to support more weight. All are theories though, but going to the gym and really "working" is really the key.

Increase in the proportion of fast-twitch muscle fibres by sprint training in males - JANSSON - 2008 - Acta Physiologica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

This article seems to indicate that changing the type of muscle fibers being trained affect the composition of muscle fibers in the body, therefore it would be consistent with this data that someone cycle between anaerobic and aerobic exercises as to continue increasing muscle size while keeping composition fairly steady.

Not to mention, there are three types of muscle fibers Type I, IIA, and IIB. I believe it is IIB that act as an intermediate between I and IIA, therefore they would reach atrophy from a combination of exercises.

EDIT: Here's an article that answers your question: http://www.anotherway.org/2011/06/the-most-efficient-combination-anaerobic-and-aerobic-training/

Another note: Push ups, pull ups, and stuff like that are not considered aerobic exercises.

Top Bottom