Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Time Under Tension and Repetition number -- For growth question...

S

SSAlexSS

Hello all!

You know how 6-12 repetitions build muscle size.

Wel,l can I build muslce the same time by useing 3-4 repetitions doing extra slow? (or even 1 repetition of mediyum weight for like 10 seconds up 10 seconds down)

Whats your opinion? Is it number of reps or time under tension which builds muscle?
Hopefully you understood what I have just said./....

you rerad test.net as well.
Time under tension is important as it relates to the energy system that is being used. Take an unloaded bar and perform 100 - 200 reps in a 412 temo and you canm soon see that this is aeorbic. This is more akin to a middle distance run. At the other end of the spectrum is a 1rep max which using the above mentioned tempo is more akin to a 60metre sprint.

The point of using such a slow tempo is to get rid of the stretch reflex. If a muscle is suddenly stretched a stretch reflex is activated. Muscle spindle apparuteus located within the muscle detect this stretch and and trigger an opposing reflex contraction of the muscle being stretched. The strength of the stretch reflex depends upon the speed of the stretch(i always do this especially on the leg press when im getting tired).

Consider the following 10 reps 2 down 1 up = 30 secs tut.

6 reps 4 down 1 up = 30 secs
The same weight is being used.

The 6 reps will be of better value as the stretch reflex has been gotten rid of.

You are in essence bouncing the weight of your chest if you use the former.

Its friday night and im at work, i dont even understand half the shit that ive just written.

c i asked the owner of the gym this question but he told me that we are amateur body builders we just need to build a good lean muscle as for slowing down this is used by pro bbuilders becuase they have ready good built muscles and need to increase the muscle size plus that for my age (14) if i do slow reps the tension won't be on my muscles it will be mostly on my bones.

Top Bottom