Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Those of us GAINING LBM

ABCD diet was quite a bit more extreme - 2 weeks very high kcal followed by 2 weeks low kcal. I like Mr. X's approach because it's cycling in higher levels of kcals when you need them; it also isn't a free-for-all approach but a controlled approach.

SteelWeaver said:
Slinky, I reckon there are as many ways to gain as there are strength trainers.

Steel: which is exactly why I decided to throw this question/thread up. Thought that it may be an interesting discussion, especially for newbies.

Here's something that's wild and to show women newbies that LBM gains do not "bulk" you up: In December, I weighed 120lbs, approximately 11% BF. Yup, purtee lean. NOW? I weigh 128 - 129lbs, and have gained just a tad more BF.

Back in December, I was wearing sizes of small and 0-1 (sometimes 2, depending upon the brand). And now? Sizes of small and 0-2. Still.

And waistline is still at 24inches.

I find that women can handle more volume than men. I'm not saying that women can do umpteen thousands of reps, while even during a bulking phase. But, during a bulking phase, if a man is using 3-5 reps; a woman can make that 5-7 reps (for example). I hover around the 4-6 reps range. I find that works best for me.

This is an interesting discussion and I do appreciate the input. Keep it up. Very kewl.

But wouldn't eating less also effect your ability to build your shoulders and arms? You know, genetics and all...

My bb knowledge is admittedly meager, however, I do have a plan. Here's my reasoning: buttocks, quads, hams are comparatively huge muscle groups and biceps and delts are small. Gaining a pound of LBM across both arms would be a hell of a lot more impressive than the same amount on my legs. I always eat a surplus of calories but since I am most interested in building arms and delts (secondarily back and chest) I stay pretty close to maintenance level all the time.

I do train lower body differently. I do very light leg workouts. Everyone already thinks I do a LOT of deep squats as I have large, very rounded buttocks and full thighs already. Not fat, just thick and full. I want to concentrate on balancing my physique as I think I look very lopsided naturally.

JJFigure said:
ABCD diet was quite a bit more extreme - 2 weeks very high kcal followed by 2 weeks low kcal. I like Mr. X's approach because it's cycling in higher levels of kcals when you need them; it also isn't a free-for-all approach but a controlled approach.

...the concept is still the same.....alternating high and low cal totals with them averaging to be lower than main. for loss and higher for gain.

"...the concept is still the same.....alternating high and low cal totals with them averaging to be lower than main. for loss and higher for gain."

True.

Have you ever used this approach for bulking? And if so, was it successful?

Don't mean to take away from the current discussion, but just had a thought.

Wouldn't it be kewl to tell a woman, "time to beef up!" - w/out the woman becoming horrified at the thought?

I'm gonna try that this weekend *evil laugh* :D

Okay back to our regularly scheduled program.....

I don't see how someone could compete in bodybuilding or fitness and worry about beefing up, I love to gain 35 pounds after each contest, I love the size, I hate to diet down, being lean sucks, eat eat eat, lift heavy lift heavy lift heavy, sleep sleep sleep, repeat :)

Well, BG: most women are horrified at the thought; hence, the word "tone". It's a nice, fluffy, safe word.

I know that most women on this site ain't fraid of "beefing up" or "gaining". And you forgot about "drink beer" in your list. :) Well, I'd have it in my list.

JJFigure said:
"...the concept is still the same.....alternating high and low cal totals with them averaging to be lower than main. for loss and higher for gain."

True.

Have you ever used this approach for bulking? And if so, was it successful?

Yes.....I found that regardless of other "supplement" usage...my gains seemed to be um....more solidified, if that makes sense.....I am TOTALLY against "bulking" for "bulking" sake.

buw - there is a school of thought that thinks that extreme bulking in addition to stretch position exercises makes it easier to gain "true" muscle.

"I am TOTALLY against "bulking" for "bulking" sake."

Again, I completely agree with you Corn. I don't think it's healthy to take your weight to any extreme, high or low. I'm happy to hear this approach worked for you; I'll keep you guys updated on our progress.

Top Bottom