Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The small legs syndrome

absolute hardgainer said:
I still don't see why SO MANY people want size on their legs.

Having large muscular legs does not seem very practical for me, perhaps for rugby or grid iron players, but not for the average person. And certainly not if you are doing stand-up fighting.

Just wondering what would make them impractical meaning what is the drawback to having big legs? Sorry bro not trying to flame here but that just sounds like an excuse not to try.

Not taken as a flame,

if you want kicking speed as a function of your legs then having bulky legs certainly does NOT help. I have practiced and competed in Muay Thai for quite a while as well as other Martial Arts. Big legs are not an advantage when it comes to kicking, as for punching power - it's generated from hip and with torso twist however the legs would only add power if you absolutely drive the punch through and push off your feet at the same time, in reality 99% of punches have to be executed much faster than to allow that.

Big legs are definitely a disadvantage when it comes to kicking high. I have never seen a bodybuilder (yet) who had large muscular legs and could execute kicks above his head height, or kick with any great speed. Power, maybe - but what good is that if it takes you 1/2 a second to land the kick?

hardgainer (speed matters, just ask Bruce)

hmmmmm

:eek: well man i can tell u what i do but i am one of those 5'6" guys. You need to look at the intensity of your leg work out. each set when u r done. remember u use your legs ALL day long to walk or run, jog hop. so they have an emmence ability to take stress. what i do is push them so hard that i cant even barely stand up after a set. if i do then it is only to wobble to he bathroom to throw up from the intensity. that is my secret. hooked on legs worked for me...:D

That really sucks!! I was gifted with very strong and muscular legs.

I am 22, 5'-9", 190 lbs, but I have only started training my legs 4 weeks ago and they are 24". My very first day of doing legs I was able to leg press 20 plates for 8 reps. Its kinda funny, because my legs never seem to give up . . .the more you throw at them, the harder they work for me.

The Doc

Im sorry but I definitly not one that has to work hard for big legs. Mine grow so fast its crazy. I've worked for a moving company for about 6 years so maybe that has helped. My legs now are close to 30in and I hardly ever work them. I bet I've worked legs less then 15 times in the past year. I'm on my fourth week of hitting legs after not doing them for about 4or5 months and I'm already back up to 405 parallel for 6reps. I'm gonna stay on them for a while and see if I can bulk up a little more.

absolute hardgainer said:
if you want kicking speed as a function of your legs then having bulky legs certainly does NOT help. I have practiced and competed in Muay Thai for quite a while as well as other Martial Arts. Big legs are not an advantage when it comes to kicking, as for punching power - it's generated from hip and with torso twist however the legs would only add power if you absolutely drive the punch through and push off your feet at the same time, in reality 99% of punches have to be executed much faster than to allow that.

Big legs are definitely a disadvantage when it comes to kicking high. I have never seen a bodybuilder (yet) who had large muscular legs and could execute kicks above his head height, or kick with any great speed. Power, maybe - but what good is that if it takes you 1/2 a second to land the kick?

High kicking is all a matter of flexibility and balance having nothing to do with bulk(and yes I have experience in mixed martial arts before you ask) as for speed the larger the fast twitch muscle the faster it is ask sprinters, and to be honest there just arent that many bodybuilding martial artists.

However, Greg LLoyd formerly of the Pittsburgh Steelers had enormous legs and was also a 2nd black in one of the forms of karate cannot remember which, but anyway I have seen him do demonstrations of kicking straight up in the air an holding it. Very fast kicker also. So once again sorry bro but still just sounds like an excuse not to try

I had a problem with symmetry a few years ago and got the advice of a former european amateur bodybuilder. He put me on a leg program (it's laying in a box around her somewhere), but from then on my legs caught up quickly. Working legs twice a week, the program involved high rep squats with moderate weight for the first workout and the second workout doing high rep squats with light weight, hack squats and leg press. Yes, it was brutal!! I complained so much about overtraining to him, but he wanted me to put all trust in him. Eventually my legs adapted and grew! The first workout was 4-5 sets x 20 reps and the second workout was 3 sets x 20 reps on all three exercises. Try it, it will definitely shock your legs. If you want more specifics, email me and I will dig up the workout and email it to you. For me, I got awesome results.

First, how strong are your legs? How much can you squat and press?
I seriously think that intensity is the key. Try concentrating not on pushing the weight up, but on squeezing the fuck out of your quads (the weight actually goes upo easier and quicker = more reps). Include free weight squats, leg presses, stiff-legged deadlifts and leg curls. Squats are the most important, IMO. Set up the squat rack so that if you fail it'll catch the bar - do not be afraid to fail as well. Aim for 8 reps till failure. One very important point for me in progressing with my legs is to do more than you did last week NO MATTER WHAT. Even if it means only coming up a little further than last time before you fail and have to let the rack catch the bar. I hope that help. That's what works for me.

Abbaddon:

Agreed, there aren't too many bodybuilding martial artists, however there are plenty of martial artists that do weight training in conjunction with their martial arts. I am one - and I don't consider myself a bodybuilder as I am not trying to get a larger body, just a a stronger, faster and more functional one.

As for not trying... who said I or other martial artists are not trying to work on my legs? As a matter of fact I probably work too much on them, just not in order to bulk them. I don't actually work any part of my body just to put on bulk. Concerned with functionality not looking huge.

I still have not seen a bodybuilder with large, bulky legs who had the flexibility and balance to execute high kicks or do a full split. But I am very curious about this Greg Lloyd fellow, if he has enormous legs as you say (and I am not doubting you) and can kick straight up in the air I applaud him. But I would say that that is certainly not the norm. Most guys with bulky legs are lucky if they can kick chest or head high.

hardgainer (respect)

Top Bottom