Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Mirror DOES Lie To Me....

Daisy_Girl

Plat Hero
Platinum
So, for the last few months I have known I have gained weight (all fat), that is quite obvious. I've eaten bad, my workouts aren't great, etc. But overall, I thought I looked okay in the mirror - not good, but not terrible. Clothes are tight, but naked was okay.

Now I am REALLY going to get the butt in gear. I have some goals, set the plan, got everything ready. Now I just want to take some "before" pictures to chart progress. So I did that yesterday.

OH MY GOD I'M HUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEE!!!!

It's hideous, really. The mirror has been lying to me! The pictures are totally different than what the mirror says. And I am normally a very photogenic person!

Moral of the story? Don't always trust the mirror. Take pictures. Go with how you feel and how your clothes feel. Mirrors suck. :(

But now I'm really motivated!

Good advice. We get used to seeing ourselves. For some reason, a photograph is almost like looking at a stranger so it delivers more of a shock to the system.

You'll get back to where you were before you know it.

I know what you mean. :mad: People always think they look terrible in pictuers though. (You are your worst critic.)

Good Luck on your goals and stick with them.:) I know I feel a hundred times better. I have never been so motivated.

If it helps put that photo up somewhere and look at it and use that as your motivation.

NDGirl

Yeah, think I might put up one of the pictures to remind me of what happens when I eat like SH*T!

My BF took some too - he is just as grossed out as I am....misery does love company though!

Hey DG,

I had the same experience recently. Weird, right? LIke i noticed my clothes were tighter, but I didn't think all that much of it until I saw my webcam pics...holy shit! I got fat!

Funny thing is, I weigh about the same. F*cked up thing is, that means I lost muscle and replaced it with fat. EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKK

I'm with ya hunny. Motivation, right?

Boy, I remember the days when life was so simple and uncomplicated that I had time to actually worry about how I looked in the mirror vs in a picture. It really doesn't matter how you view yourself, if YOU are doing the viewing, then your perception is going to be screwed up.

W6

Well, one thing good came out of this right? You've kicked it into gear so to speak. Go to it girl!:)

I am NOT photogenic and will refrain from doing this exercise...i will take your word for it and figure I look worse than I think....

all the more depressing.

And W6 -- my life is far from simple and uncomplicated and I still do worry about this stuff!

Daisy one more thing....unfortunately, photos are 2 dimensional and thus we end up appearing heavier than real life...remember the camera adds 10 lbs!

Lighting can also make photos less than flattering.

Yes, the mirror can be deceiving. When I was over 200 lbs I did not see it until I saw a photograph of myself. THAT photo is what made me realize how huge I'd become and how awful I looked to others. I was happy though and luckily my husband never made me feel bad about my weight. He's worked with me and trained me, helping me make the changes I've wanted to do. It's really helpful if you have a caring and supportive partner.

Keep your fat picture where you can see it. I've got a few around the house here...they're great inspiration! I also used to have a sign up in the kitchen with photo's of some of the women from EF that I used as inspiration. I also carried around some pictures of myself in my pocket callendar from when I was thinner to keep myself motivated when I wasn't home.

It seems that the more in shape I become, the more faults I find with my body. When I was fat I wasn't nearly as critical of myself as I am now. The saying "Fat people are jolly" fit me perfectly. I hardly ever cried or became even remotely depressed. Now, I look in the mirror and cringe, and spend many hours a month feeling unhappy with my body to the point where I can't hold back the tears. Oh well...I'll keep workin on it till I'm pleased with what I see in that damn mirror. I knew when I started to get into shape it'd be a long ass journey but lately it's been seeming like a really steep hill I'm trying to climb and it's soooo slow going.

Top Bottom