Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Mirror DOES Lie To Me....

MrsPuddlesFL said:

It seems that the more in shape I become, the more faults I find with my body. When I was fat I wasn't nearly as critical of myself as I am now. The saying "Fat people are jolly" fit me perfectly. I hardly ever cried or became even remotely depressed. Now, I look in the mirror and cringe, and spend many hours a month feeling unhappy with my body to the point where I can't hold back the tears. Oh well...I'll keep workin on it till I'm pleased with what I see in that damn mirror. I knew when I started to get into shape it'd be a long ass journey but lately it's been seeming like a really steep hill I'm trying to climb and it's soooo slow going.

OMG MRSPUDDLES -- Have you crawled inside my head???!!! These words are just exactly the way I feel lately.

I *think* when my smaller clothes fit last spring & I had cut body fat after gaining muscle, that I was happier with my body.

Unfortunately for me the motivational tactic of looking at my fat-photo does NOT help me. It's just that I KNOW that one more or less workout & one more or less crappy meal will not make a big difference. In order to lose the fat, it's got to be ongoing... meal after meal after meal being healthy. Sometimes that's such a daunting task & my jeans seems so far away that I think, FUCK IT - what's another cookie? I just don't want to fight this fight right now, I just don't have the energy.

It's only less than 15# that I gained, but the only way I can get back down is to be super-strict with food & that's what's hardest for me - always was.

I also can't believe how much more difficult it is to lose these 15# than it was to just MAINTAIN where I was before!!! :bawling: I didn't have to be super-strict all the time then.

I take the opposite view ladies, i don't think the mirror ever lies. Rather, you are not being objective enough in how you see yourself in the mirror.

A picture can tell a different story each time you take one, depending on quality of film, lighting, positioning etc.

I don't weigh myself, i don't measure bodyparts and i don't take bodyfat measurements. I solely use the mirror as my guide. I have become objective enough to assess my progress or lack of simply by using the mirror.

I guess it comes with knowing your body.

Gladiola said:
I *think* when my smaller clothes fit last spring & I had cut body fat after gaining muscle, that I was happier with my body.

Unfortunately for me the motivational tactic of looking at my fat-photo does NOT help me. It's just that I KNOW that one more or less workout & one more or less crappy meal will not make a big difference. In order to lose the fat, it's got to be ongoing... meal after meal after meal being healthy. Sometimes that's such a daunting task & my jeans seems so far away that I think, FUCK IT - what's another cookie? I just don't want to fight this fight right now, I just don't have the energy.

It's only less than 15# that I gained, but the only way I can get back down is to be super-strict with food & that's what's hardest for me - always was.

I also can't believe how much more difficult it is to lose these 15# than it was to just MAINTAIN where I was before!!! :bawling: I didn't have to be super-strict all the time then.

That is interesting, isn't it? So much easier to maintain than lose. And far easier to gain fat than lose it.

I feel you, that whole post, I feel you.

wilson6 said:
Boy, I remember the days when life was so simple and uncomplicated that I had time to actually worry about how I looked in the mirror vs in a picture.
W6

Maybe I am being over-sensitive today (very likely), but I am taking offense to this comment. I am not so superficial and boring that this is all I care about. If that were so, I wouldn't leave my house. How I feel I look does have a big impact on me - but so does what I can accomplish. I am a graduate student and I obsess over my grades. I teach 3rd grade, I obsess over that. My life is neither simple nor uncomplicated, yet I still care (and yes, obsess) about how I look. Go figure.

AMEN SISTERS!!!

[Q

It seems that the more in shape I become, the more faults I find with my body. When I was fat I wasn't nearly as critical of myself as I am now. The saying "Fat people are jolly" fit me perfectly. I hardly ever cried or became even remotely depressed. Now, I look in the mirror and cringe, and spend many hours a month feeling unhappy with my body to the point where I can't hold back the tears. Oh well...I'll keep workin on it till I'm pleased with what I see in that damn mirror. I knew when I started to get into shape it'd be a long ass journey but lately it's been seeming like a really steep hill I'm trying to climb and it's soooo slow going. [/B][/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you guys more! Puddles-you are quite lovely i assure you! This has been happening to me too! HAHAHA What's up girls!!!! I've been changing my routine so much from over training to over kill to junk food to being sick to finding something to help. LOL! Get that anyone??? :rolleyes: Anyhow... I recently seen a picture of me at a girlfriends house before we went to dinner at a salad bar restaurant. OMG OMG i almost tipped over! I said GIRL! was that me!!!!:bawling: She said yep :( I said YOUR AS ASS for not telling me! hahaha... Well i wanted to get in "better" shape for summer, and as you said my love(puddles) it only gets worse when you fit and trim. When i was fat i was JUST fine... walking along fat and jolly!, now. i weigh so little and look in the mirror and say "OMG! im gaining weight" my jeans are tight.. (i wear a size 3) a 5 wouldn't kill me. Moral of this story is

Daisy... were all here with ya lady! Dont even trip.. It's always going to be an ongoing battle. SO as i say... Either make the best of it? make it work.. Or DONT DO IT AT ALL...

gee that is so hard to actually do:rolleyes:

Smoothches girls!

Hey friscochick-

I read your posts and feel like I am the one writing them. I get soo depressed about the way I look too. I cried the past two nights, I think mostly because I'm grumpy and overtrained. My boyfriend doesn't understand, but I told him he'd be depressed too If he dieted for 8 weeks, felt like shit , lost a bunch of muscle and hoarded fat. At 15% I look better than many women out there , yet I never seem to please myself. I guess I'll just keep on truckin. Eventually I'll get to where I want to be .

I think perhaps a lot of the sentiment on this thread can be attributed to the season.

DAMN COLD! :cold:

Anyone else sadder in the winter from SAD= Seasonal Affect Disorder? :wavey: I know I am!

Spring can not come soon enough! I'm already starting to feel more peppy & happy.

Gladiola said:
I think perhaps a lot of the sentiment on this thread can be attributed to the season.

DAMN COLD! :cold:

Anyone else sadder in the winter from SAD= Seasonal Affect Disorder? :wavey: I know I am!

Spring can not come soon enough! I'm already starting to feel more peppy & happy.

Fortunately, I live in the middle of the desert and it is 78 degrees and sunny. No SAD here.

While I cannot speak for the other women, I am not depressed about my "condition", I know I gained fat and I know why. I slacked off my workouts and ate shitty food. I don't like the way I look, but I know how to remedy it too.

I was just shocked at how I looked in the pictures! I was so surprised at the difference in what I see in the mirror and in pictures.

spatts said:
OK, I know this could cause a shit storm, but I truly ask this out of concern (and confusion). Is being lean worth more than being happy? Would you rather be hungry and ripped and miserable, or kinda lean, enjoying moderation, and happy?

I hate the thought of someone at 15% body fat crying herself to sleep. What good does it do to work for a hot body when you're too sad going to bed to want to share it with someone?

I'm gonna bet you're all a helluva lot hotter than you think, and even hotter with a smile. :)

...and if you need some reassurance, I'll send you pics of MY fat a$$. :D

I really agree with you spatts. Being ultra-lean is not worth it if you can't enjoy LIVING. I know we all have to make sacrifices to meet our goals (fitness wise, professionally, educationally....), but no goal is worth being totally miserable ALL the time IMHO.

And we ARE our own worst critics.

Top Bottom