Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The importance of post workout meals considering we all lift weights

honey and whey?

what about putting the honey right into a protien (whey) drink? Would that be enough cards, or just stick with n'large by prolab?

I have a website where I find nutritional infos for foods, yet I cant seem to find honey as i dont know where its listed. See, if we adhere to the liquids food theory post workout(which we should) this means we should NOT eat honey with a damn potato post workout. To reach 80g of carbs for a 180lbs bodybuilder, you would have to take in quite a bit of honey, which would probably blow you right out of your daily cal intake for fat loss.
Someone, post info on honey plz so we can analyze this.
If it does happen to be as high as I suspect, then you could go for 4 tbsp of honey, added to a dextrose and whey shake. That seems perfect.

What are your thoughts guys?

Im editng the post, I found it
Honey has 248 cals per 4tbsp, or 62 cals per tbsp.
Each tbsp has 16 g carbs. 4 tbsp gives out around 64g carbs, yet for a larger bodybuilder it starts to get somewhat complicated to solely get your post workout carbs from honey. I think my suggestion above is rather reasonable. Again, what do you think?

Last edited:
as was said, use fructose as a last resort. dextrose and honey come first. Vagetas post is also slightly flawed, dont use whole foods. Use liquid meals.

Dextrose+whey, perhaps some honey if you can.
Im still waiting for some feedback on my theory though.....

Honey!

Nutritional Info for Honey (c/o FitDay.com):

1 cup:
Calories: 1030.6 kcal
Total Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 13.56 mg
Potassium: 176.28 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 279.34 g
Protein: 1.02 g

1 tbsp:
Calories: 63.84 kcal
Total Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 0.84 mg
Potassium: 10.92 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 17.3 g
Protein: 0.063 g

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This might not be of much help, though, since it's really difficult to get anywhere near one tbsp of honey ... it sticks to all sides of the spoon, and you can't exactly get a level surface. Just eyeball it ...

The problem with honey is that the compositions will vary from brand to brand. For the most part, honey is mainly fructose and glucose, but again, this will vary between brands. For the most part though, FRUCTOSE is usually the major sugar in honey at around 38%. Glucose is usually around 30-31%. By law, sucrose can not be higher than 8% or else it will be considered adulteration. In my opinion, honey would be a bad choice for a post-workout meal. Honey is absorbed slowly because of the fructose, dextrins, and formic acid. The rate at which honey is absorbed (GI) will also lower the GI of the other quicker digesting carbs like dextrose/glucose, which will be counterproductive (as a postworkout meal).

Now, on a hypocaloric diet, some fructose is okay because liver glycogen will be lowered, and less will be converted into fat (more can be stored before spillover). On a hypercaloric diet, more fructose will convert to fat due to the liver naturally being more glycogenated. A better time for taking Fructose would be as a preworkout meal because more will be used and less will be stored as fat. AND, during your last meal to take advantage of its slow digestion rate while you are asleep.

MR. BMJ

How about the nonindustrial honey? Is it any different in those categories, considering it has more micronutrients? Preworkout , I always have some fructose -bulking or cutting, and it works.

Mr. BMJ, so is your suggestion plain dextrose+whey?

Just bumping as this a good topic while researching my next diet/meal plan.

Thanks blood_drinker

Last edited:
Top Bottom