Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Glute Challenge!!! Need some help!!

BIKINIMOM said:
MAKE SURE THAT YOUR KNEES NEVER HYPER-EXTEND YOUR TOES!
This is inevitable the way that some people are built. Knees passing over your toes isn't necessarily going to cause knee pain. If you perform the movement correctly and it still happens, it is okay. This is especially true in taller people.

I think this suggestion has been passed around gyms for the last half-century, but it isn't 100% corrent.

Mandy Polk said:
This is inevitable the way that some people are built. Knees passing over your toes isn't necessarily going to cause knee pain. If you perform the movement correctly and it still happens, it is okay. This is especially true in taller people.

I think this suggestion has been passed around gyms for the last half-century, but it isn't 100% corrent.

LOL Well OK then! :lmao:

Does this officially make me "an old wife"?

Sassy69 said:
IF you are limited to stuff at home, get a set of 10 - 25 lb dumbbells and use those for lunges. You can do step-ups, reverse lunges or walking lunges. Then add in the dumbbells (just hold them w/ your arms down as you do the lunges). You can do all sorts of variations on those types of lunges as well. A step and then kick back to get an extra burn on your butt, step w/ your stepping knee coming up like you are marching, step wide to the side on each step, add a double bounce on each step, etc.

Deadlifts will go a long way for glute muscles - again if you are limited on equiptment you can check out a set of like those 'powerbars' and some resistance bands wrapped around something and then around the bar to create greater resistance (same idea as the PowerFlex machine).

i agree with sassy..
you could also try kneeling squats they are outstanding for activating the glutes and teaching you how to fire the hips forward when you come out of the hole in a squat or attemptto lock out a deadlift.

Set up some padding on the floor at the base of a power rack, and position the bar so that it's slightly below shoulder level when you're on your knees on the padding. From a kneeling position, slide under the bar as if you're going to squat it and unrack the weight. At this point, you'll be upright witha 90-degree angle at your knees.

From here, simply push the butt back while looking straight ahead or slightly up. When your butt makes contact with your calves, fire your glutes in order to push the hips forward, and squeeze the glutes together as you lock out thebar.

if you cant get to the gym you can try it at home with a set of db's
you can work your shoulders at the same time, make sure abs are tight

BIKINIMOM said:
LOL Well OK then! :lmao:

Does this officially make me "an old wife"?
No!! You don't ever get to be "old" ANYTHING! Ha.

And the "no knees passing over the toes" rule is a good one to follow if you have normal proportions (and yours are really good, so it does apply to you), it's just sometimes impossible to achieve that if you are tall and have really long legs.

Good thing you watched that form in your squats though, your legs show it ;)

Your knees track in front of your toes when you are climbing stairs...........

It is a good rule of thumb, but I also agree with Mandy on this one.

Squatting is quite a natural movement, it is part of getting out of chairs.

The full squat is not something most people are used to, practicing with a much lower weight is helpful.

Mandy Polk said:
No!! You don't ever get to be "old" ANYTHING! Ha.

And the "no knees passing over the toes" rule is a good one to follow if you have normal proportions (and yours are really good, so it does apply to you), it's just sometimes impossible to achieve that if you are tall and have really long legs.

Good thing you watched that form in your squats though, your legs show it ;)

LOL

I had excellent form one day and then BAM! The next day, I don't know what happened but it all went to pot... (few factors that have to do with aging too much to get into here but they all played a roll). My training partner noticed that my ankles were very tight affecting my body position on the way down so I worked on my ankle flexibility daily and low and behold I was back "on" again in no time. Also opted to use front squats exclusively as your center of gravity is naturally shifted forward causing better form period.

Now I use sumo squats and ALP and seated leg press when I can (having issues with one of my knees - again, aging *sigh*). I find that the combination of stretching my SUPER-tight hip flexors along with the concentration on that lower part of your glutes which is indigenous to sumo squat helps A LOT to correct the problem of "saltine cracker ass syndrome" that some of us suffer from. :lmao:

I am only 5'3" and have proportional limbs so yes, I can see what you are saying about the mechanics for those with longer limbs.

Seems that there is a solution no matter what the situation is, thanks to all of the knowledge and experience here on our forum! ;)

I have said it before but will say it again, I am so pleased to be in such good company. :heart:

Top Bottom