Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Elio: Vaporware or a great new commuter vehicle?

redguru

The Elio is a three-wheeled two seat vehicle with a trunk that claims 85MPG and the ability to go 100 MPH.

The manufacturer is trying to get Louisiana Law changed so that he can market it not as a motorcycle but as an autocycle. This is so owners can use it without a helmet and a motorcycle endorsement. So far, rumour has it these guys are selling these vehicles witout even manufacturing anything but a prototype and haven't even finalized the buyout of the old truck plant in Shreveport.

I like the concept, I also like the idea of bypassing national safety standards for cars and motorcycle endorsement laws to bring down the pricing point to under $7K. Other manufacturers could then bring in lightweight vehicles that are at a decent pricepoint, save on energy and emissions, and drive all automobile pricing down.

I think with automotive safety standards driving pricing, weight, and size of vehicles instead of efficiency and economy we are perpetuating a problem. How many used crapper vehicles could we get off the road if a vehicle that gets >60 MPG were priced at less than 10K and had no restricions for highway use?

i agree 100%.. if it's enclosed, with heat and a/c.. airbags and a kick ass stereo system i'm down with the clown..

I won't drop either of my 2 vehicles for it, but i'd drive the shit out of it saving crazy miles on my other 2 vehicles..

i agree 100%.. if it's enclosed, with heat and a/c.. airbags and a kick ass stereo system i'm down with the clown..

I won't drop either of my 2 vehicles for it, but i'd drive the shit out of it saving crazy miles on my other 2 vehicles..

Exactly, for a commute this thing is workable.

Top Bottom