Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

TapouT co-founder, Charles "Mask" Lewis, dies in car crash

ceo

MVP
EF VIP
FOX Sports on MSN - MMA/Boxing - TapouT co-founder, MMA sponsor dies in car crash

The mixed martial arts community lost one of its biggest personalities early Wednesday morning in a car crash in Costa Mesa, Calif.

Charles "Mask" Lewis, the 45-year-old co-founder of the TapouT apparel company, died when he lost control of his Ferrari and hit a lamp pole. Lewis was pronounced dead at the scene.

In a statement on its Web site, TapouT said, "It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we must regretfully confirm the passing of our beloved friend, brother and co-founder Charles 'Mask' Lewis following a car accident that occurred last night. ... Many thanks to all for the outpouring of blessings and well-wishes during this incredibly difficult time."

The Los Angeles Times reported that a Newport Beach Police Department officer witnessed the crash and saw Lewis' red Ferrari and a white Porsche spinning out of control just before 1 a.m. Wednesday. The Ferrari then hit the curb and collided into a pole.

"It was terrible," Newport Beach Lt. Craig Fox told the Times. "It was extensive damage to the vehicle."

A woman in the Ferrari was ejected from the vehicle and was in stable condition at a local hospital. Police haven't determined if she was the driver or passenger of the Ferrari, according to the Times.

Police later arrested the driver of the Porsche, Jeffrey David Kirby, and charged him with gross vehicular manslaughter. He was being held on $1 million bail.

There was a 50-mph limit on the road, but police believe both cars were traveling well above that limit, according to a report on KTLA.com.

The Newport Beach Police Department told FOXSports.com that Lewis' car was a 2004 Modena Ferrari. That Modena can reach speeds of more than 180 mph and retails for almost $200,000.

Lewis and Dan "Punkass" Caldwell founded TapouT in 1997 as a clothing and MMA gear retailer. In addition to retail, the private company also signed deals with fighters, including Kimbo Slice, and is a sponsor of fight events.

E031103AU.jpg

The dude crashed his Ferrari in an upscale residential neighborhood (less than two miles from my house, I might add...) and killed both himself and the passenger. He's an idiot. Correction...WAS an idiot. Granted, the accident happened at almost 1am, he still could've done a lot more damage. I'm sorry, but the fact that he was racing through a neighborhood is unforgivable.

The dude crashed his Ferrari in an upscale residential neighborhood (less than two miles from my house, I might add...) and killed both himself and the passenger. He's an idiot. Correction...WAS an idiot. Granted, the accident happened at almost 1am, he still could've done a lot more damage. I'm sorry, but the fact that he was racing through a neighborhood is unforgivable.

Agreed....fuck his pompous ass

i hope that his death and the manner in which he died doesn't overshadow his life and all the great things he did for the sport not to mention he created an industry before tapout there was almost no clothing as far as mma went now look at all the mma clothing companys there are now
R.I.P Charles "Mask" Lewis
you will be missed

Last I was aware, she (the passenger) was still in the hospital...alive.

I might've spoken too quickly. The local news reports are eluding to the fact that she's not going to make it. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that he's an idiot.

Police later arrested the driver of the Porsche, Jeffrey David Kirby, and charged him with gross vehicular manslaughter. He was being held on $1 million bail.

Thats exactly why I stopped street racing. If the guy next to you decides to cut the wheel and kill himself you're held responsible. Sucks to lose such an influencial guy and I agree that yes he fucked up but remember all the good things he brought to MMA

Top Bottom