Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sweetners

keliska

Hi,
I know I have stupid question, but just for clarify. Can aspartame affect insulin? What kind of sugar substitute is the best choice? What different between SPLENDA,EQUA, STEVIA, ASPARTAME? what is best and why?

Can aspartame affect insulin?

Yes it can. Even chewing sugar free gum or having sugar free products does.
Try Stevia Clear. It does not affect your insulin levels.

Everyone is different -- the only way to know for sure if ANY of them affect you would be to buy a blood test monitor & test a drop of blood about 45 minutes after eating to know for sure.......

playmatesky said:
Can aspartame affect insulin?

Yes it can. Even chewing sugar free gum or having sugar free products does.

Then how come they are used by diabetic people?

Not trying to be difficult, I really have never heard that they impact actual insulin levels. :)

Daisy_Girl said:
Then how come they are used by diabetic people?

Not trying to be difficult, I really have never heard that they impact actual insulin levels. :)

I wish I could find the article....might not have saved it....anyway -- it showed that those products can affect insulin - it just depends on the person. Some it does, some it doesn't....and some of the people in the article were diabetic, some weren't....

90% of the info found on the web about aspartame is BS
The sugar industry is very powerful and want us to believe aspartame is dangerous

If it were why would the FDA and similar organizations accross the World consider aspartame as safe?

As for your question:

Effects of artificial sweeteners on insulin release
Malaisse WJ, Vanonderbergen A, Louchami K, Jijakli H, Malaisse-Lagae F.

Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Brussels Free University, Belgium.

Beta-L-glucose pentaacetate, but not alpha-D-galactose pentaacetate, was recently reported to taste bitter and to stimulate insulin release. This finding led, in the present study, to the investigation of the effects of both bitter and non-bitter artificial sweeteners on insulin release and cationic fluxes in isolated rat pancreatic islets. Sodium saccharin (1.0-10.0 mM), sodium cyclamate (5.0-10.0 mM), stevioside (1.0 mM) and acesulfame-K (1.0-15.0 mM), all of which display a bitter taste, augmented insulin release from islets incubated in the presence of 7.0 mM D-glucose. In contrast, aspartame (1.0-10.0 mM), which is devoid of bitter taste, failed to affect insulin secretion. A positive secretory response to acesulfame-K was still observed when the extracellular K+ concentration was adjusted to the same value as that in control media. No major changes in 86Rb and 45Ca outflow from pre-labelled perifused islets could be attributed to the saccharin, cyclamic or acesulfame anions. It is proposed that the insulinotropic action of some artificial sweeteners and, possibly, that of selected hexose pentaacetate esters may require G-protein-coupled receptors similar to those operative in the recognition of bitter compounds by taste buds.

PMID: 9884024

jenscats5 said:
I wish I could find the article....might not have saved it....anyway -- it showed that those products can affect insulin - it just depends on the person. Some it does, some it doesn't....and some of the people in the article were diabetic, some weren't....

See, I don't understand that. They market the artificial sweeteners towards diabetic people. If the sweeteners "sometimes" affect people ... then doctors, etc wouldn't TELL diabetic people to use them.

It would be akin to saying, "Eat this stuff. It MIGHT put you into sugar shock, it might not".

Top Bottom