Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supplements vs. real food

Diesel3d

i want to hear more input on this subject...

I know a lot will say real food is the way to go, but

I take the shake route because i am out all day at school going to classes and stuff. It’s hard for me to find time to prepare real food.

A sample meal for me would be a whey isolate shake with a veggie or some sort of complex carb from real food. In all I generally supplement all my protein with shakes besides 2 meals a day ( dinner and a little before bed)

What's so much better about having real food. If you break it down, what you need is protein carbs fat and vitamins.

You could use real food and get a combo of all in your meals, or you could supplement them separately ( whey, carbs ( from mrps or veggies/fruits), flax & cla for a fat substitute, and take vitamins. I just don't see the difference. Your body should not know the difference. If anything the shakes will be much easier to digest than real food.

I've read the faster protein exits the stomach, the more protein synthesis is stimulated. Whey isolate leaves the stomach fastest. If you want to slow it down, just add flax and make it with milk instead of water.

What do you guys think?

I’m starting a new diet that’s based mainly on shakes. I will let you all know how it goes. I did a sample of this diet before I took my week off last week and I put on 8 pounds in one week. I was on fina, but it was my last week running it . I’m off now so I can get an idea of how this works naturally

A lot of the hype of whey protein and meal replacements is exactly that --- hype. If your body has a constant supply of protein during a bulking phase, it really doesn't matter how quickly the protein is absorbed. During a cutting phase, casein supposedly does a better job because of it's slow digestion. Actually, a higher percentage of the nitrogen is retained with casein while cutting.

About the supplements vs. food question, I think food is better. Why? because IN GENERAL, food is better for your digestive system and provides a more abundant variety of quality, easily absorbable nutrients. This is assuming that you take a multivitamin and some other stuff like vitamin C, ALA, calcium, zinc, magnesium, etc. Fruits and veggies contain phytonutrients, which cannot to this day be put into supplements. There are phytonutrients and other properties of foods that scientists may not even know about. Additionally, meal replacement shakes contain high GI carbs. This will not supply the steady stream of glucose that your body needs during most hours of the day to build muscle. You can't get the same slow release of glucose from maltodextrin in a shake that you can from steel cut oats with tuna. Also, food has a psychological benefit for some people. This may or may not be true for you. In fact, just the opposite may be true for you. So, I think supplements are NOT as good as real food, but each person should do a cost benefit analysis and decide.

Agree with all that have been said

I would just add that supplements should only be taken in supplement of real food: it is the nutrients that you can hardly eat in a regular" meal or for convenient reasons.

BTW real food can't lie: when you eat a chicken breast you know how much protein you have whereas when you swallow a pill you have to trust what the manufacturer has put on the label !

I agree with what's been said it makes more sense now. I thin ka cobo of both is best.

Maybe you guys can help me out :
Here's my diet. Any ideas for adding more real food in?>
Goals are to bulk clean...

5:00 -

5:30 – 5:45

2 scoop Vp2
1 Banana

6:00 – Workout

1 scoop HSC right before

7:15 – post workout

2 scoop Vp2
1 scoop HSC

8:15 –

2 scoop Vp2
2 small potatoes

9:15 – intro to logic class

ISopure
veggies

10:30 - micro

11:00 – micro Half way through class.

1 vyo pro bar

12:15

1 scoop Vp2
1 cup oatmeal

1:35 – psy class

2:30 - After class

Nytro40 40

2:50 –Moral class

3:50

4:40 – Cardio – GI carb before ( OJ ? )

After
2 scoop Vp2
+ high Gi carb

6:00 –
6:30 –
7:30 - Dinner + or shake with complex carb
8:30 –
9:30

1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 Apple
2 scoop Vp

somebody please explain to me why protein shakes aren't "real food?" I mean, whey, casein and egg ingredients all come from "real food," so how come when you put it in a powder form people suddenly think it's not the same anymore?

Top Bottom