Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sumo or Conventional

Good point

Sometimes I just think too much and forget to just lift the damn bar. You can over do your technique and set up.

ID Rather BE DL. That's a good point you made about thinking about it too much and staying down there. I've seen that happen to me not only on deads but on Power Cleans If I approach the bar on cleans and stay there setting up my stance I won't be able to explode from the ground now if i keep left leg under preparing myself snap the right leg in the explode then it's easier.

Well i dont know how much you guys are pullin but if grip is a factor you better set in your hooks befor eyou pull. A quick grip and rip is nice with 400 but 600 needs more thought and 700...well shit i cant even see at this point how someone can even hold it.

I am a die-hard conventional deadlifter (long arms and legs, short torso) and the thing that helped me the most in hanging on to a big deadlift is rack lockouts. They do not really help me in any other way, as I stick on the deck and always will. I started out as an OL'er and have always had a strong second pull, so now my deadlift speeds up as I get closer to lockout. Speed being relative to the weight, of course.

My wife pulls sumo, and she has to time her dive with her hips when pulling or she sticks on the deck. If her timing is off, she winds up with bar out in front of her, and you can pretty much guess what happens here.

One exercise that really helped her learn to keep her torso closer to vertical when pulling was to set up in her deadlift stance, then do overhead squats to a box set at the same height where her hips would be when initiating a deadlift.

I perfer doing the sumo. I can lift a lot more weight and my back does not round nearly as bad as conventional lifting. Bottom line, lift in which ever style allows you to lift more.

Thanks for all the info. Have decided to go the sumo way. Conventional feels uneven side to side for me. I guess to with my short legs and average length torso and arms it is the inevitable choice.

Top Bottom