Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Stupid dad!

L

Little Girl

Sorry for my bad language!

I started training a short,little but strong girl of 16 years old. She has very good potential in powerlifting, everything she touchs is perfect and she has alot of strenght. When she did a deadlift for the first time of her life, she lifted 175 lbs! She was supposed, til yesterday, do a powerlifting comp next fall...But her dad told her that he don't want her to do the comp and even working out! He says that I'm brainwashing her, that protein is bad for her (she'll become too big) and that in couple of months I will tell her that she should take steroids! he also says that all we do (bodybuilders and powerlifters) is looking to our body in the mirror. He's a fuckin stupid!!!!! The young girl is really determinated and motivated. That kind of attitude is called a dream break down! She loves what she's doing!

I just wanted to say that I'm tired that people are thinking that because you lift weights, your head is empty! I'm tired of telling people what I'm doing for living just to show them that I'm not a dumb girl that is only taking care of her body! Does it mean that because you're in shape you're not enough intelligent for University?? (I don,t think so, I've a bachelor degree!)

And concerning the gear, am I that fuckin stupid to suggest any form of steriods to one of my client (+ she's 16!!)? NO!! The ?%?&%dad says that I'm too big and he don't want her daughter looks like I do! (BTW, I'm 120lbs!!)

Sorry, I just wanted to share my frustration with you guys!

Little Girl

Phew, I was scared you were referring to WarLobo!! Glad to see it was just a little rant about the narrow-mindedness of your average human.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that! Nothing worse than ignorance -- it really hurts me when people openly display their stupidity in such a way to insult you.

And that poor child! If she's smart she'll find a way to work out anyway...nobody can tell you what to do with your body because they can't be around you 24 hours a day, thank goodness.

I know this won't help much...but for what it's worth...I look at your pictures from time to time to motivate me to do my 5AM 60 minutes of cardio...perhaps you have that same effect on her to follow her dream too.

That is what I wish. You can't stop your kid if she wants to be healthy and in shape! I'm sure she will find a way to workout anyway but for the comp, she would probably have to wait. :(

I remember that my mother did react about the same way when I started working out and taking care of what I eat. Her major question was :" what are you gonna do when you'll stop? You will stay the same size but it wont be muscle it will be fat!!" or "Why are you doing all that? There's no purpose, you were already in shape before you started lifting those weights!!" (pretty in shape: 5', 125lbs and wearing size 7-9, almost no muscles!) Things changed though...she saw my pics on a web site and she was very impressed. Since that day, she's showing the site to everybody she knows! She's also very proud of my lifting and encourage me for my powerlifting comp..

Giving the time so time...

Little Girl
PS: thanks Strongchick, your comments went right to my heart!

Wow, sounds like he really blew it!!! Give him time an a little education, perhaps he will come around. I can probably see me messing up that bad a few years ago due to my ignorance! I used to think that all FBB were the same as the anorectic compulsive mental cases I met in research settings. Then I got to know a few and realized that I had bought into the government/media vision of gay/lesbian 'roid meatheads. What a goofball I was(am?:rolleyes: )

Anyway, if someone I didn't know had taken my 17yr old under her wing in the gym, I probably would think the worst too. He just needs to learn a little. I can even understand his concern with his daughter becoming obsessed with BB. But I can also see that it is good to have an outlet that you can work to improve yourself. The confidence and inner strength she would gain will help her immeasurably. But perhaps he is weak and fears that she will slip from his control. But that will happen VERY soon anyway, given her age.

Is there any chance he will listen if you go talk to him? Perhaps try congratulating him on being concerned for his daughters well being. Explain to him that you are just as concerned for youth, and his daughter, as he is. That concern is why you chose your profession in the first place. Mention the joy of teaching mathematics to youth with a desire to improve mentally....AND the joys of personal physical improvement. Maybe contrast that to some of the young slobs that you have run into in the classroom? Talk a little about how important goal-setting is, overcoming obsticals, and working towards goals and dreams in life is to a young person.

Then casually tell him that if he ever thinks that those could be of benefit his daughter, you would be honoured to work with HIM and her!! Everyone knows that the best way a parent can express love to a child is with TIME!! That ought to take him down a few notches.

Sorry for the long winded post. I get ticked just thinking about you offering your help and dad crushing his daughter with his ignorance! Thats my thoughts...

BE

I'm not an perfect stranger for her, I'm also her teacher in high school. SO, I think he should trust me...

At first I was asking money for my services but I think that she has so much potential that I'm not asking a penny! She's a really good girl, she stoped smoking cigarettes, going out late, plus she started studying more than ever... I personnaly think that I've a very good influence on that kid! For her dad, it's not a money thing, he's loaded and anyway, she was taking her own money.

LG

Hey girls, this is one for the record . . .when I told my family I was into bodybuilding they asked (quite seriously) if I was gay . . . with my boyfriend sitting next to me . . .

On the good side, my boyfriend loves and me dad thinks it's great. So it's not a gender thing, it's "I'm so miserable with the way my life turned out that I'm not going let anyone else enjoy theirs" type attitude.

People never step back and take a look at themselves. Just makes you wanna rip your hair out doesn't it . . .

Well it sounds like this guy was very overprotective and misinformed as well.

But for every bad dad out there there are lots supportive wonderful ones too. Lets give them all a phone call on Fathers day, and tell them so !

JerseyBB

I hope her father changes his mind. It's hard enough just being a teenager. There are so many BAD things she could be doing, but this girl has found a passion, and shown great maturity in working hard, setting goals, improving her health, etc. - all great life lessons that even very few adults learn. What a shame her father is trying to put a stop to it and crush her dreams.

I just hate it when parents have these pre-conceived ideas about how they want their children to be. Even when the children try to do what their parents want, nobody is happy.

Regarding your quote: "I just wanted to say that I'm tired that people are thinking that because you lift weights, your head is empty!"

YES, it's crazy - why do people think that being strong and healthy is empty-headed, but being a couch-potato is normal. :confused:

Little Girl:

You have had a very good influence on this girl, good on you for your work and dedication.

I think there is a degree of sexism in her fathers attitude, I wonder if he would not allow his 16 year old son to train in his sport of choice as well. Although I don't know this man I somehow doubt it.

One way to approach the problem may be to talk to the father and to explain to him the benefits of his daughters training for her. Those benefits, like increased strength, fitness, confidence and motivation will be huge for her. A 16 year old and especially a 16 year old girl cannot have enough positive experiences and challenges like the ones provided in your training of her.

Also, it may help to calm her father's fears about weight training and 'educate' him a little about what it is that you do. Best medicine against ignorance.

This is assuming that he reallly wants the best for his daughter, in which case he ought to be a reasonable man and thank you for taking your time to help his daughter.

If on the other hand he is simply a controlling father who doesn't want you to 'influence' his little girl then you have a more serious challenge at hand.

In any case I do hope that you don't give up on it.

This girl will benefit greatly, you are doing it for her.

hardgainer (my 2 cents)

Top Bottom