Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sportfight 5 Review

edouble

Sportfight 5 Review
by Dagan Stafford, Team IronLife.com Writer

This was my second Sportfight and it delivered on the promise made by Sportfight 4. Sportfight is the brainchild of Matt Lindland and Randy Couture of Team Quest fame. They moved the venue outside for this show. The ring was setup on a football stadium with general admission seats in stadium bleachers and the pricey seats on the grass around the ring. There was a live band playing about an hour before the event started called the Mask that helped set the mood. Bas Ruttten and his little sis Shannon were in attendance along with UFC Lightheavyweight Champ Randy Couture. Evan Tanner, Tim Sylvia, Matt Lindland, Dennis Hallman, and of course Randy Couture were all in attendance and easily accessible. It never ceases to amaze me how humble and approachable these guys are. All of the up and coming Team Quest fighters were in attendance.

sportfight1.jpg

"El Guapo" The man, the myth, the legend

sportfight2.jpg

Randy "The Natural" Couture

Pro Fights Main Event

Ed "Short Fuse" Herman vs. Brian Ebersole 190 lbs
Ed Herman was coming off a disappointing loss to Kazuo Misaki in Pancrase. Brian Ebersole took this fight on about a week's notice and was riding a 4 fight win streak. It was Herman's night though as he controlled things right from the beginning. Herman got a neck tie clinch after a short exchange and delivered some solid knees to the head. True to the teaching of Couture and Lindland, Herman controlled the clinch and delivered knees, punches and elbows before taking the fight to the ground. Herman got stalled in Ebersole's guard and was tied up working to pass. The second round began with another great exchange and again Herman closing the distance, clinching and securing a takedown. Ebersole managed to land on top, but Herman worked his legs up and secured a triangle choke. It was beautiful. Ebersole tried to stack and pull his arm back, but briefly lost consciousness forcing the ref to call the fight. Fantastic fight.

sportfight3.jpg

Ed "Short Fuse" Herman

Matt "Suave" Horwich vs. Paul "Picnic" Purcell 200/185 lbs
This fight came together at the last minute. Purcell was originally supposed to face Jacen Flynn, but Flynn pulled out at the last minute for reasons unknown. I was actually sitting near Matt when he got the frantic call to fight. Horwich had originally been on the card but was pulled when several opponents backed out and the promoters could not get a match for him. We talked earlier in the night about his disappointment with that. Horwich trained with Bas Rutten that morning in a seminar that Bas put on. He also mentioned that he worked with Ricco Rodriguez recently. I was really excited that he got a chance to fight. I have to say that I have major respect for a guy that can take a fight on 15 minutes notice. Also, major props to Purcell for giving up 15 pounds to Horwich and facing an entirely different opponent that late in the game.

This match began with a few trades and then Horwich closing the distance and clinching. Purcell landed some nice uppercuts from there. Horwich scored a takedown from there and let strikes loose as he attempted to pass guard. Purcell rolled over and Matt jumped at the opportunity. He got his hooks in, softened the turtled chin of purcell with a nice shot and then secured a rear naked choke that got the tap in the 1st round. The crowd was really worked up over this one as the action was progressive and the finish exciting.

sportfight4.jpg

Matt "Suave" Horwich sinking his hooks in seconds before a tap

Justin Ellison vs. Glover "The Brazilian Pitbull" Texiera 205 lbs Light Heavyweight Title match
Glover (what a great name for a fighter) came into this fight as the reigning champ, putting his belt on the line. Glover won the belt from Matt "Suave" Horwich in Sportfight 3. Ellison came in with some major ring experience against some big names but no recent wins.

Ellison came out hard. He controlled things early getting the better of exchanges. Ellison then scored a beautiful takedown and nearly pulled off a kneebar. From there he got mount and opened a cut on Glover that stopped the fight for a doctor's check. The doctor gave the OK and the fight started again with Ellison in mount on Glover.

From here on out it was all Glover. He managed to roll into Ellison's guard and just started connecting with bombs. His reach seemed impressive. After several shots connected, Ellison tapped. That had to be disappointing as he really controlled things early.

Mike Whitehead vs. Brian Stromberg 260/235 lbs
These two big heavyweights showed some nice technique on their strikes, but when the action went to the ground thing stalled. After a standup by the ref for no activity, Whitehead scored a takedown and passed guard for side control. I had a bad angle, so I am not sure if it was a neck crank or a choke that caused Stromberg to tap. Tap he did though, putting one in the win column for Whitehead.

sportfight5.jpg

Nice takedown by Mike Whitehead

Scott "Hollywood" Norton vs. Nick "The Pimp" Gilardi 170 lbs
This fight did not stay standing long. Norton ended up stalled in Gilardi's guard. Gilardi worked his legs up and got the beginnings of an arm bar, but was slammed on his head by Norton and it broke loose. Norton then put Gilardi on his back in the corner and connected with some nice shots in his guard. Gilardi tapped due to strikes in the 1st round. That puts Norton at an impressive 6-0.

Dave Cochran vs. Trevor Burnell 155 lbs Lightweight #1 contender match
Cochran came into this fight with a good 4 fight win streak going. His last loss was to Dennis Davis in Sportfight 2. You know he wanted the chance to fight Davis and get some revenge. Burnell came in virtually unknown, but is a black belt in BJJ.

Trevor Burnell played his game in this fight. He shot in avoiding Cochran's strikes. Worked and controlled the clinch and then got a take down. From there he mounted and connected with some nice shots to the head. Cochran rolled over and Burnell got a rear naked choke. He made it look easy. I look forward to the war that should happen between him and Dennis Davis for the Lightweight title in October.

Amateur fights

Katie Zaro vs. Robin Lindland 70lbs.
These girls both fight in the Team Quest kids program. Robin got some nice takedowns and controlled top position for most of the fight. Who do you think her dad is?

Ed Nunno vs Bret Atchley 170 lbs
Nuno wins via rear naked choke.

Ralf Alarcon vs Jon Martin 155 lbs
Alarcon defeated Jon Martin via rear naked choke in the 1st round.

Paul "The Apostle" Morris vs Enoch "Animal" Wilson 155 lbs
Paul "The Apostle" Morris defeated Enoch "Animal" Wilson by a unanimous judges decision. This was a war and was really close.

Eddie Blackburn vs David "Bling Bling" Brown 185 lbs
Blackburn defeated Brown by a split decision. Another really close great fight that could have gone either way.

Josh Curran defeated Scott Lincoln via a ref stoppage due to unanswered blows from mount. 280/300 lbs

The event was a great success and I can't wait until October for the next one.

For complete article, please click here.

Top Bottom