Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

so, my girlfriend's pregnant...

kimblesaurus

any advice on a healthy workout program for a pregnant 24 year old?? she's affraid that weights will be too much...i tend to disagree, but she's not gonna listen to me regardless! anyway's i'm in love with her and want her to be healthy and also maybe help the whole 8 more months of pregnancy go by a little easier...
thanks for any help and suggestions!

k

I'm gonna bump this for some specific input from Daisy_Girl -also a new mom-to-be. She can train w/ weights - esp still very early in the pregnancy. Mostly be careful w/ stomach contracting moves. It will definitely help her during & after the pregnancy.

Yep, Just Be Careful On How Hot She Gets (temp Wise), And Contractions (after About The Sixth Month). Other Than That Weights Are Fine.

congrats on the baby....she can walk alot..not only will that help keep her in shape but it will also get those important muscles moving so that when she delivers it wont be so bad!

Good Luck!!!!!! It'll Definately Change Your Life, You'll Learn To Love Like Never Befor!!!! I'm So Happy For You And Your Girlfriend!!

I've never been pregnant myself, but i've come across info like, make sure her heart rate never goes beyond 140 bpm (or something like that), not to do anything lying on her back after the first trimester... do not eat anything unpasteurized and no raw fish. Hope that helps. And congrats :)

The heart rate thing is a crock of shit. Your heart rate will change depending on your current state of conditioning.

She needs to watch her TEMP while working out, not so much her heartrate. She should not get overheated, and she should remain able to TALK. Holding a conversation should be relatively easy. She should not be gasping for breath.

SHe needs to wear comfortable, breathable clothing. This is not the time for tight clothes while working out - her body need to be able to cool itself easily.

SHe needs to HYDRATE. SHe should have water with her at ALL TIMES, especially when working out.

She can continue doing whatever she was doing before - areobics, kickboxing, spinning, running, etc. It is fine to continue her routine with some modifications. Along with watching her temp, she needs to watch her balance. It is very easy to get off balance when PG - this is why most moves need to be modified. For example, in kickboxing, she would not kick as high nor move as fast. Also, on aerobics she needs to watch the "bouncing" - like with jumping jacks. Lower the intensity of this.

If she was not currently working out, at least not regularly, this is not the time to start a brand new gung-ho routine. SHe CAN do new activities, but keep it low. Things like prenatal yoga, elliptical, walking, stationary bike.

She can continue to do ab work through the 1st trimester (around 12 weeks). After this time, it is not safe to continue MOST ab work. After this point, her head should not go below her heart. So ab work on an incline is fine - I plan to continue using a stability ball throughout my whole PG.

Careful with stretching, she should not do extreme stretching. A hormone released during PG is relaxin, which relaxes ALL the tendons and ligaments in the body, esp around the hips. It is easy to pull something without much work. Stretching is a GOOD diea to continue though. Esp around the hips, legs and back. It can help with delivery and back pain.

PLEASE let me know if you have any questions. Since I am PG too, I have been doing a silly amount of research,

CONGRATS! :)

Oh, and pregnancy is 10 months, so if she is 4 weeks along, you have 9 more months! :)

Top Bottom