Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

smith machine seems too easy.

cobra108

anybody use smith for squats?

I can do a lot more weight and go a lot deeper.
I do have bad knees and ankles....anyway do you think smith works the legs or not?

thanks

yes it dos work just as good.allmost anny way.of cores the free wate squat is better anny free wate is,but its not far off bro.if you like it better and it makes you work harder and gets more into it then do it bro.youll get good gains from it and thats all that matters.
btw I only do the smith myself for squats Iam up to 650 and i LOVE IT AND WILL NEVER DO IT ANNY OTHER WAY.

Free squats build more mass because the stabliziers come into play ,plus it hits alnost every major muscle group!
RADAR

I did smith squats the 1st time I ran madcows 5x5 squatting 3x per week and my legs really hardly responded at all, all my other lifts went up loads and size increased some but the squats always stayed a struggle.

My uni gym doesn't have a squat rack (yeah, I know) so I've recently (around 5 weeks ago) switched up from smith squats to doing deads 3x per week instead on a heavy, med and light split and my legs have responded like never before - hams and quads! I've been amazed by the difference and will be reluctant to ever go back to smith squats again unless I really have to - just find I can't get a groove with it and unfortunately unlike you can't get as low using the smith!

I do both smith and free weight squats. I extend my legs really far on the smith almost like doing a forward squat and its the best quad exercise period, really helps with overall gains. :chomp:

Free weight squats are the only way (or is that weigh? - sorry for the pun). I've done both and maybe I could do more on the smith machine, but you won't see the results as well as with free weights. As Radar said, free weight squats (ass to floor) get nearly all major muscle groups in the body. You'll build more mass and more strength this way.
If you have trouble doing atf squats, put a 2X4 under your heels. I use a 10# plate under each heel and it lets me go all the way down. I'm not gorilla strong like some of the guys here, but I put up 315# (1rm) last week, which was pretty darn good for me. Make sure your doing your deads free weight also.

I rarely do barbell squats, I put my feet in front of me and go as deep as possible while putting all the emphasis on my quads. for hams I do the same thin with a wide stance and toes pointed out. I strongly disagree that free weight squats build more muscle overall. actually, that's wrong, they build more OVERALL muscle because it works everything, however, when I wanna work my legs, I concentrate on my legs, not everybody part at the same time.

I wouldn't do it, but if you find it works more power to ya.. imo the smith has its uses but squatting isn't one of them. The safest, most powerful movement pattern for the squat looks nothing like the movement you get using a smith.

Top Bottom