Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Serial or Parallel ?

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
[No, this is not a thread about printer port] ;)

Let's say you do chest and back :

Would you do all your chest exercises and, then, perform your back workout ?

- or -

Do the first chest exercise then the first back exercise
then the 2nd chest...2nd back and so on ?

I used to do the former but I tried the latter and I enjoy it a lot

With the "serial" option you are fried for the last exercices while doing the 2 muscles in parallel help to recover

doing chest and deads in the same workout just doesnt seem right..one shortens the other lengthens..im not saying it cant be done..DC does it..but for me nbo good..

Anthrax said:
[No, this is not a thread about printer port] ;)

Let's say you do chest and back :

Would you do all your chest exercises and, then, perform your back workout ?

- or -

Do the first chest exercise then the first back exercise
then the 2nd chest...2nd back and so on ?

I used to do the former but I tried the latter and I enjoy it a lot

With the "serial" option you are fried for the last exercices while doing the 2 muscles in parallel help to recover

really, its a matter of choice. sometimes what i do, on say my chest/tri day, ill do my pressing movement, then go to flies. then ill hit up two tri exercises, and then for for another chest. dont really know why i do it. kind of gives me a little break, so i can go back and kill it once more.

I do chest\back 2x a week and I do chest exercises first then move on to back...

Honestly Chest exercises never really tire me out that much...and I only use around 6 sets in each workout for chest.....but by the time I am done with back I am VERY TIRED

InTraining said:
I do chest\back 2x a week and I do chest exercises first then move on to back...

Honestly Chest exercises never really tire me out that much...and I only use around 6 sets in each workout for chest.....but by the time I am done with back I am VERY TIRED

Then you really work chest hard and you neglect your back

wnt2bBeast said:
doing chest and deads in the same workout just doesnt seem right..one shortens the other lengthens..im not saying it cant be done..DC does it..but for me nbo good..

I thought of something like

Bench press
BB rows
Incline DB
Pull-downs
Flies
Seated Cable Rows

Anthrax said:
Then you really work chest hard and you neglect your back

Hahaha...I'd beg to differ...back is either my 1st or 2nd best bodypart...and I'm not alone here...look at the DC split..they do pressing exercises first then back....and leave it all in the gym...that is the point...back exercises are so tiring it is ok to do them last and zap yourself of any energy that may be left

Also my weights are moving up on back everytime...and shirts aren't fitting anymore lol

If you want an example I have done chinups with +70 for 6 reps...not a great feat of strength but just an example

InTraining said:
Hahaha...I'd beg to differ...back is either my 1st or 2nd best bodypart...and I'm not alone here...look at the DC split..they do pressing exercises first then back....and leave it all in the gym...that is the point...back exercises are so tiring it is ok to do them last and zap yourself of any energy that may be left

Also my weights are moving up on back everytime...and shirts aren't fitting anymore lol

If you want an example I have done chinups with +70 for 6 reps...not a great feat of strength but just an example

OK, sorry, it's not what I meant

But in general, you tend to do the last exercices of your workout with less intensity and, sometimes, a poorer form

Anyway, it's not as beneficial as the first exercices before your CNS is fried

Anthrax said:
OK, sorry, it's not what I meant

But in general, you tend to do the last exercices of your workout with less intensity and, sometimes, a poorer form

Anyway, it's not as beneficial as the first exercices before your CNS is fried

I agree with that...it's important to find your optimal work capacity and start from there...

Obviously if one is doing squats and deadlifts in the same session THEN trying to do some chest or back exercises...that would not be a great idea....

I don't understand this "CNS is fried" idea..sure you will have the most energy when you first step in the gym....personally I can maintain a high intensity for about an hour...then I will admit it starts to decline..I think most people are like that...

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Anthrax again.

Last edited:
InTraining said:
I don't understand this "CNS is fried" idea..sure you will have the most energy when you first step in the gym....personally I can maintain a high intensity for about an hour...then I will admit it starts to decline..I think most people are like that...

After very heavy leg exercices I feel drained, hands and leg shaking, even if it just took half an hour

It's then useless to try to work something else

Otherwise, I agree 1 hour - 1h15 is what it takes for a good productive WO

Top Bottom