Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Really? shoulder press lagging

Snipervirus1775

Good afternoon fellow lifters. I have a dilemma I need to share and hopefully I can get some helpful information on it. I am currently 177lbs at about 10% or so bf 5'11" and I've been lifting for 2 years. I recently just started the "Starting Strength Advanced Novice Program", this is my second stab at this program since I had to stop in the middle of it before about 7 months ago. Also today was the end of my 2nd week. Ended on Squat, Standing OHP, and weighted pullups just a few hours ago.

Now before I explain it further, I am not doing a staggered stance, feet are about shoulder width apart and my hand position is kind of wide (pinkies are wrapped around the single ring on an olympic bar). I have only been on this program for 2 weeks and yes I have tried deloading/resetting weight in the past and it hasn't worked, I've tried going down as much as 20 pounds and slowly working back up passed 125 but it doesn't work.

I have always struggled on this lift and can't figure out anything that could help, should I try another exercise? Or should I just keep trying? or what? nothing seems to work.

Thanks guys

Sounds to me like you may have your hands too wide. I've always struggled with OHP as well. But I found that right outside of shoulders makes it a lot better. Grip placement will always be the easiest fix. When I get too wide my strength plummets. I started on the Stronglifts 5x5 and made tremendous gains on it. YouTube can be your best friend as far as form. But you'll have to tweak certain things to make it match your body.

I might give that a shot, as I have noticed from a bunch of comments from other boards that I should change that and possible my stance as well next time I do my lift. I'll see what happens and if I have more questions or concerns I'll come back and post, thanks

Top Bottom