Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please Critique My Front Squat Form

Let me guess

*not sitting back enough?
*back rounding?
*knees too far forward?
*knees moving around too much at the bottom?

I try to sit back, but front squats are a bit different than regular squats.

Anyway, any comments are welcome. I used to like squats until I found out I did everything wrong.

I wouldn't say those were Zercher Squats... more front squats... Zercher's hit my legs completely different. :)

I didn't notice much back rounding there... perhaps I need to watch it again... I also couldn't tell too much on depth... but it did look like you were getting down to at least parallel, if not a bit past it.

Like I said, I might have to watch it again to see about your back... but ifI recall, I thought it was fairly straight... unless it was rounding on the bottom of the motion (the most common place).

C-ditty

When I do Fronts... I tend to get really low on them... lower than I would on a back squat even. I find that with the weight up on my shoulders I can get lower.

All in all, I wouldn't say your form was bad at all?

From my, admittedly limited, understanding of front and Zercher squats, you're not going to be able to sit back as far because the weight is pulling you forward.

Your form looks pretty good to me though. It's hard to tell how much your knees are moving because you are wearing pants.
...chad...

Your elbows should be higher...like you're pointing them straight out in front of you. That should help you to keep the proper posture (upright, looking straight ahead--your chin shouldn't be tilted down). It is hard to see where you are racking the bar, but from my understanding, it should be right on your clavicle, same place where you rack your cleans. You'll really need to stretch out your wrists for this one.

The main thing is your posture...you look a bit wobbly. Once you shoot your elbows out in front, that will force you to stand up straight. My $0.02 for ya...

Have fun!;)

Cheesecake, this is why I like zercher squats for abs too. They DO pull you forward, and it's a helluva a back and ab workout to keep position.

Thanks for the tips everyone. These were front squats, not zerchers by the way. I see what you mean about my elbows not being high enough, Nonerz. I think I have flexibility issues I need to work on.

Spatts - Can you still do the vertical shin thing with regular front squats (not zerchers)?

I guess I also had the bar too low. When it's right on my clavicle as you recommend, I can't breathe, so I set the bar a little lower (upper pecs)

Top Bottom