Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Physiology of calves

ryno9000

Can someone please explain to me how a seated calf raise focuses on the soleus while a standing calf raise focuses on the gastroc? I am a personal trainer, and I even referenced my text for this, and have no decisive answer.

The way I see it - both soleus and gastrocs are responsible for plantar flexion, sooo....how does the angle of the knee take out one muscle or the other? Especially when both soleus and gastrocs exist between the heel and the knee joint. Anyone?

It's not that one position "takes out" one muscle or the other. The gastroc is attached at the top to the femur, whereas the soleus is attached to the lower leg bones. Therefore, when you're sitting the gastroc is in a slackened, disadvantaged position, while the soleus is unaffected by it. As a result, the soleus is "emphasized."

It's similar to how arm position can put the triceps long head in particular into an advantaged or disadvantaged position, for emphasizing different parts of the triceps. The body will do a movement the easiest way it can, with the strongest muscles available, so placing one muscle in a disadvantaged position will result in other muscles being emphasized.

Standing with knees locked stretches the gastrocnemius. This is why it's important to keep your knees locked when doing standing calf raises.

Seated, like Cato said leaves gastrocnemius slack and disadvantages, therefore soleus takes more of the workload.

The same principle applies when doing leg curls. Plantar flexion decreases involement of the gastrocnemius since it is slackened. Dorsi flexion stretches the gastrocnemius out and allows it to contribute more to the movement.

but then again im a bigbeleiver calves is realy one of those muscle groups determined by genetics and not really how u train them, i mean lets face it weve all seen those guys with 21 inch chicken drumstick looking calves and barely train them

just my thoughts

+1, this is absolutely true. Calves are the most genetic part of the body without a doubt. Having said that, your course of action still remains exactly the same, hehehe. If you have big calves to begin with, grow em to super, and if you have small calves, try to grow em to big. I think alot of it has to do with having a higher percentage of slow twitch fibers down there, in which case, you're almost totally screwed. I love my big calves. Genetic fat person victory.

I agree, like anything genetics plays a major roll. But I feel like the majority of ppl don't put fourth the effort and pain to really grow their calves if they already lack. And 3-4 sets and the end of a workout doesn't really count. You have to really hit it like you would chest. What I mean by that comment is with the same motivation. Ppl don't walk in the gym on Monday and say " yes, I'm doing calves today" but you sure as hell will hear that with chest.

I agree, like anything genetics plays a major roll. But I feel like the majority of ppl don't put fourth the effort and pain to really grow their calves if they already lack. And 3-4 sets and the end of a workout doesn't really count. You have to really hit it like you would chest. What I mean by that comment is with the same motivation. Ppl don't walk in the gym on Monday and say " yes, I'm doing calves today" but you sure as hell will hear that with chest.

my 3-5 sets of 40 hits them to the point to where it difficult to walk....

I agree calves are highly genetic... if your born with underdeveloped calves with very high insertion points, then its pretty certain when you gain muscular bodyweight, even if you gain some calf size they will still be a smaller muscle group proportionally. But learning how to train them goes along way. I never gained much calf size and they always sucked until I learned how to use a "heavy weight for high reps" concept. Now I have brough them up some.

I think alot of it has to do with having a higher percentage of slow twitch fibers down there

Ive actually read a few articles that said the gastrocnemius is almost split 50/50 between fast and slow twitch, and its only the soleus thats a majority slow twitch...

Top Bottom