Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Not really understanding Needsize's 5x5 routine

Why not do 5x5 for Deadlifts, and do 2x8 for Seated rows?

BTW: I think you broke the sarcasm meteor
on your comment about leg day. lol

Last edited:
sorerotators said:

Very true BNeedsize. BUT, i've never been able to continually add weight like i can on 5x5. Hardly a week goes by that i dont set a PR on my main compounds. Theres just no end in sight man! I love you man!

the 5 rep range allows you so much more strength and progression that any other, thats why it works so well. Myself, I dont want to be too strong right now, hence the higher rep range.

athlete0185, I've got a few thoughts on your routine. Ditch the front raises, complete waste of time as they get more than enough work on the other exercises, and the stronger you make them the more they will take over during other exercises like bench. I would also always have side laterals in there, nothing else compares for width than combining over head presses with laterals. And i woudl switch up and do 5x5 for deads. Solid routine though

yeah i think ill do that. go to the deads 5x5 and ditch the front raises. my damn lower back is sore for 4 days after doing deadlifts though:p

I dont get sore from deads anymore for some reason. I;'ve been going light lately but hit up 425lbs for a set of 12 reps last week, and felt nothing the next day, kinda strange

hey needside i have a question i was thinking about today, it might have already been answered before. on the 2x8-10 exercises, should those also be progressive resistence, or can i say do incline bench at X amount of weight and then raise it on the next set if i feel it wasnt enough. or should the weight stay constant and progress like the 5x5 exercise?

athlete0185 said:
hey needside i have a question i was thinking about today, it might have already been answered before. on the 2x8-10 exercises, should those also be progressive resistence, or can i say do incline bench at X amount of weight and then raise it on the next set if i feel it wasnt enough. or should the weight stay constant and progress like the 5x5 exercise?

Usually if I can get 10 reps on the 2x8-10 exercises I up the weight a little.

yup, if you can get 10 reps on the first set, I would raise it for the next workout. You needn't raise the weight on both sets either. For example, say this week you incline db press the 105's for 10, then 8 reps. next week do the 110's, but if you only get 8 reps on the first set, instead of using the 110's again, drop to the 105's so you can get at least 8 reps

Bump for a good bro with a good routine

I hope I don't jinx myself on this one, but I gotta give Needsize and the 5x5 program props. NS is always helping bros on this board and his program is a solid one. I've made more progress on his routine than I have in a long time - naturally I might add (but not for too much longer).

Re: Bump for a good bro with a good routine

slyder190 said:
I hope I don't jinx myself on this one, but I gotta give Needsize and the 5x5 program props. NS is always helping bros on this board and his program is a solid one. I've made more progress on his routine than I have in a long time - naturally I might add (but not for too much longer).

I love to hear that stuff

Hey Mister said:
The first set you could probably get out a good 12 or so reps lets say, but stop at 5. So you're not really challenging your body at all for that first set. What exactly are you doing to your body for this first set if you stop prematurely at 5 when you can get out more reps? It would seem that you simply tire out your body, but you don't really "push it".

The second set you can probably muster out around 10 or so, but stop again at 5 so you are quitting the set before any real challenge to your body is imposed.

Wouldn't it be safe to say that really the only sets you are challenging your body is the 4th and 5th? It seems like the first 2-3 sets are sort of warm-ups, if at all since they are so few reps.

the first month on 5X5, your workouts may not seem as challenging to you. however, as you increase your weight, you're workouts are going to get really tough, really quick.

i just hit a plateau on bench, so i had to go down to 5X3 for a couple weeks and i'm struggling to get three up on each set. 5X5 is awesome...just use those beginning weeks to perfect your form and you'll be "pushing it" in no time. :)

Top Bottom