Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Military Press

freakshow85

So, I've been doing what I thought was military press and now I'm not sure what exactly I've been doing. What's the main difference between bringing the bar behind your head or in front? I was under the assumption behind the head hit the traps pretty good. Should I even be doing military press with the bar behind my head? I did hurt my back once when I was 18 doing it this way, but have since got a good technique down and haven't had any pain or problems. Just wanted to discuss different techniques.

I find that if you start behind the head you use the lateral delts a little more whereas starting in front keeps the stress more focused on the anterior delts. I should imagine your traps would be more involved when you start behind the neck as you have to pull your shoulders further back. I don't think you're more or less likely to injure yourself either way you do it.

Recently I've been starting with the bar in front of my head and pushing it up and slightly back so it finishes just at the back of my head (while it's up in the air) then lower it back in front.

If u are keeping food form then behind the neck should be fine. Its def not a head turner exercise. You shouldn't be doing any crazy weight. You can get a good deep pump from them also! When I incorporate them I put them at the end of my workout. Nothing quite works like the good ole standard shoulder press for me. The key is staying as upright as possible. This helps to put a lot more focus on the medial head as well as the anterior.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EliteFitness

If u are keeping food form then behind the neck should be fine. Its def not a head turner exercise. You shouldn't be doing any crazy weight. You can get a good deep pump from them also! When I incorporate them I put them at the end of my workout. Nothing quite works like the good ole standard shoulder press for me. The key is staying as upright as possible. This helps to put a lot more focus on the medial head as well as the anterior.

bingo...behind the neck press will hit the rear delt harder.

Behind the neck exercises are not dangerous, but they can be painful and dangerous if done incorrectly. Poor form, too heavy weight, lowering the bar too low and out of control are a common cause of shoulder injury. Personally I avoid these exercises with my clients, but most of them are beginners. For the advanced lifter these can be beneficial exercises, but as stated above, you can get great results without using heavy weight.

RD

Behind the neck exercises are not dangerous, but they can be painful and dangerous if done incorrectly. Poor form, too heavy weight, lowering the bar too low and out of control are a common cause of shoulder injury. Personally I avoid these exercises with my clients, but most of them are beginners. For the advanced lifter these can be beneficial exercises, but as stated above, you can get great results without using heavy weight.

RD

Well said!

Top Bottom