Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ivy League ripoffs

Depends on the industry. Some companies promote advancement from within (which I think they all should). Others have this mentality "everything external is better".

I know you wont get anywhere in my company without a degree, even if you are the most competent person there.

at the plants in our region, virtually all of the owners are former employees of the original manufacturers in the pm and carbon industries, and only a couple of them are college-educated...as you can imagine, the owners are also the highest paid employees...next in line on the food chain are the plant managers, most of whom have engineering degrees...next in line are the floor managers, etc., most of whom have worked their way up through the company and, these people are usually in the $50,000 to $80,000 range...not bad for opting out of college...and due to constant innovation and advances in technology and applications, their jobs are actually pretty safe too.

at the plants in our region, virtually all of the owners are former employees of the original manufacturers in the pm and carbon industries, and only a couple of them are college-educated...as you can imagine, the owners are also the highest paid employees...next in line on the food chain are the plant managers, most of whom have engineering degrees...next in line are the floor managers, etc., most of whom have worked their way up through the company and, these people are usually in the $50,000 to $80,000 range...not bad for opting out of college...and due to constant innovation and advances in technology and applications, their jobs are actually pretty safe too.

I'm happy to hear its that way. Sounds like a good industry

Do these kids know that you can now get degrees online or go to foreign countries and get degrees far cheaper? :)

I'd do that instead of 'skip college altogether and take my chances'.

c

Yeah, bad idea to skip college. If anything, college teaches people how to study and pay attention to detail. Two key components needed in any field.

Word. College Degrees get past HR's and also show that you can start & finish something. But hey, some people even makeup their degrees and save $50k. I've never once been asked to show my degree!

c

Yeah, bad idea to skip college. If anything, college teaches people how to study and pay attention to detail. Two key components needed in any field.

these people i'm referring to have received a significant amount of industry-specific training...with regard to their industry, they have more metallurgical engineering knowledge than any recent grad from any university...gkn (for example) spends a LOT of time, money and effort training their people and they pay them well so they stay around.

these people i'm referring to have received a significant amount of industry-specific training...with regard to their industry, they have more metallurgical engineering knowledge than any recent grad from any university...gkn (for example) spends a LOT of time, money and effort training their people and they pay them well so they stay around.

Oh...In that case, they would be crazy not to take advantage of that situation, especially considering our current affairs.

Oh...In that case, they would be crazy not to take advantage of that situation, especially considering our current affairs.

well...it's an option...but, you're definitely limiting your opportunities and, with the exception of some occassional travel for additional training (usually in michigan) and some travel to plants in china, etc., to help train those people, you're going to be looking at the same building every morning for the rest of your working life...and lots of people aren't cut out for that kind of stuff...some people love it though.

well...it's an option...but, you're definitely limiting your opportunities and, with the exception of some occassional travel for additional training (usually in michigan) and some travel to plants in china, etc., to help train those people, you're going to be looking at the same building every morning for the rest of your working life...and lots of people aren't cut out for that kind of stuff...some people love it though.

And, I would be one of them that isn't cut out for it. That's probably why I went to college for 10 yrs. Only problem now is, I need another life-time to pay back my loans...lol.

Top Bottom