Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is there such a thing as too much water?

PARKER-911

Ok here it is my mom and I both have personal trainers however as you all know not all trainers give the same advice so my mission is to see if I can figure out whos right.
My trainer tells me that I should be dinking 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds so being that I am 130 lbs I should drink about 64oz. He says more is fine since I excersise regularly but you don't really want to go over 100oz cause you can start to flush out your vitamins and nutrients.
Now my mom is 150lbs and her trainer says she should be drinking at least 130oz a day and that who ever says there is such thing as too much water is crazy.
Soooooo what better place to find out the truth than here. What do you guys think, can you drink too much water?

I think it IS technically possible but unlikely to happen unless you are drinking a LOT of water........I've drank 2 gallons a day with zero issues......

Here you go:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

"The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition. "

WOW -- that is so weird someone asked about this today.

Here is a story from the weekend I heard about on the radio today. A woman, competing for a WE video game console for her kids through a radio station's contest -- drank too much water and died. However, SHE was not using the restroom (It was part of the contest to see who could hold it the longest).

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html

Anyway, I have heard to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day, so technically I should drink 80 oz. of water a day; I'm sure I come real close by the time I'm done drinking all my ISO shakes and my decaf soda and all the water at mealtime (like 3 to 4 glasses there alone) PLUS another liter while teaching...

I really think it's nearly impossible to overdo it.

T-Cake said:
WOW -- that is so weird someone asked about this today.

Here is a story from the weekend I heard about on the radio today. A woman, competing for a WE video game console for her kids through a radio station's contest -- drank too much water and died. However, SHE was not using the restroom (It was part of the contest to see who could hold it the longest).

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html

Anyway, I have heard to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day, so technically I should drink 80 oz. of water a day; I'm sure I come real close by the time I'm done drinking all my ISO shakes and my decaf soda and all the water at mealtime (like 3 to 4 glasses there alone) PLUS another liter while teaching...

I really think it's nearly impossible to overdo it.

Ok first, that's pretty f'n stupid.... Jeez.

I drink basically 1 oz for each lb of my weight - 160 oz.

I second the f'n stupid comment!

The guys on the radio today brought it up because they were saying "I bet that promotions guy at that station is in huge trouble!"

They were saying the irony was probably that the contest's original idea was to have them drink alcohol and see who could go the longest w/o peeing... or w/o barfing... and then the lawyers came in and said, "NO! Bad idea! That promotes binge drinking! Use water!"

And alas... the woman dies of water OD. I guess she made it home and died there; she had 3 kids and she didn't win the contest.

Can you imagine being the poor bastard that WON that game system? OMG... i dont' think I could actually take it without feeling awful!

Top Bottom