Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is it possible to still build muscle and do higher reps with lighter weight?

*ebony*

I was wondering, instead of doing approximately 10 heavy reps of most of the exercises one does, can you still build muscle if I do you do 20 or more reps of each set with lighter weights. If you put on enough weight to where you will work to muscle exhaustion after 20 reps and repeat this for 3-4 sets, can still Build muscle? have similar results?

i'm just curious and would like to now all possibilties as i'm still trying to find a routine that will work for me. :)

no, one must give the muscles a reason to grow, they don't want to.. high reps will give you strength and endurance, but it will not promote muscle growth..

bump for others that want to be more scientific..

most women want that "toned" look.. but the reality, without supplementation a woman will not put on lots of muscle..

aren't you doing DNP?? or is that someone else?? if so, you won't be doing a lot of weight training until it's over anyway..

SpyWizard said:
no, one must give the muscles a reason to grow, they don't want to.. high reps will give you strength and endurance, but it will not promote muscle growth..

most women want that "toned" look.. but the reality, without supplementation a woman will not put on lots of muscle..

aren't you doing dnp - dinitrophenol - - dinitrophenol - ?? or is that someone else?? if so, you won't be doing a lot of weight training until it's over anyway..

no thats not me. i'm not interested in riods. i'm also not worried about getting "bulky". i want to built as much muscle as possible, so i guess keep lifting heavy(will not say number of pound as some of you might injur yourselves laughing :worried: )

i also now someone who is intersted in lifting yet due to injury her doctor said she cant lift heavy, yet she wants to build muscle as well. :worried:

It depends on your muscle fiber type.

Some responds to lower rep ranges and heavy, the fast twitch muscle, and slow twitch responds to higher rep ranges. (hope I got that the right way around but the concept is there)

Most people are a mix of both fiber types, and the slow twitch muscle doesn't hypertrophy as much as the fast twitch, but it is possible.

Higher reps are also great at stimulating mitochondrial growth, which are the powerhouses for the cells, and angiogenesis, so you grow more little capillaries to feed the muscle blood, which lays down the foundation for more muscle growth.

People who are 'hard gainers' are often all the slow twitch, or respond to higher rep ranges, which is why they spend years stagnating trying 'to go heavy or go home'.

Sets of 20 squats are killer. I challenge anyone who thinks high reps don't work to try that out.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and if she is new to training, she will see some results from this.

Tatyana said:
It depends on your muscle fiber type.

Some responds to lower rep ranges and heavy, the fast twitch muscle, and slow twitch responds to higher rep ranges. (hope I got that the right way around but the concept is there)

Most people are a mix of both fiber types, and the slow twitch muscle doesn't hypertrophy as much as the fast twitch, but it is possible.

Higher reps are also great at stimulating mitochondrial growth, which are the powerhouses for the cells, and angiogenesis, so you grow more little capillaries to feed the muscle blood, which lays down the foundation for more muscle growth.

People who are 'hard gainers' are often all the slow twitch, or respond to higher rep ranges, which is why they spend years stagnating trying 'to go heavy or go home'.

Sets of 20 squats are killer. I challenge anyone who thinks high reps don't work to try that out.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and if she is new to training, she will see some results from this.

thanks Tat. your avi is my new inperation!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
my friend is a slight woman 5'3 and 110 lbs. i think she really wants to be rock hard and not just "Toned" and she's been inspired anew since i started and my results have been good so far, at least i look better than my avi :)

with restricted weights and implementation in her diet i hope it works out for her :worried:

ebonycurves said:
I was wondering, instead of doing approximately 10 heavy reps of most of the exercises one does, can you still build muscle if I do you do 20 or more reps of each set with lighter weights. If you put on enough weight to where you will work to muscle exhaustion after 20 reps and repeat this for 3-4 sets, can still Build muscle? have similar results?

i'm just curious and would like to now all possibilties as i'm still trying to find a routine that will work for me. :)

You can progressive overload on a certain number of reps , so yes
You can also progressive overload on a number of reps without rest
Also rest / pause methods (isometrics) can be employed to make the work harder

progressive overload doesn't mean adding weight
So anyway yes is the answer

gjohnson5 said:
You can progressive overload on a certain number of reps , so yes
You can also progressive overload on a number of reps without rest
Also rest / pause methods (isometrics) can be employed to make the work harder

progressive overload doesn't mean adding weight
So anyway yes is the answer

i just googled this for more in depth info. very intersting. :artist:

SpyWizard said:

aren't you doing DNP?? or is that someone else?? if so, you won't be doing a lot of weight training until it's over anyway..

I hope you mean creatine :)

I personally think that women just don't get the concept of intense lifting, putting in that grunting, face pulling effort.

Some of the lads don't either, but when you are young and flooded with test, there is a slight advantage.

I think when women get this, they do make the gains that they want.

Tatyana said:
I hope you mean creatine :)

I personally think that women just don't get the concept of intense lifting, putting in that grunting, face pulling effort.

Some of the lads don't either, but when you are young and flooded with test, there is a slight advantage.

I think when women get this, they do make the gains that they want.

yea..ummm creatine yea, that's it.. that's the ticket..

I'm actually a big believer in less is more, at my age i am not going for my pro card, and the wife sure isn't getting on stage, she does model, and she has the genetics, but it's taken 3 years to change her from a starvation mentality to a feed to be thin lifestyle..

Lift heavy, it impresses the guys and the women.. and when you see a woman in her early 40's (did i say that) that looks fit and could be 34.. well, it's not a magic pill, it's a lifestyle

Top Bottom