Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

is it possible to incorp 5x5 with hst principles

barracuda25

New member
can one use 5x5 like hst every mon/wed/fri.is it phyical possible?anyone experiment on that b4?maybe casualbb or debaser
 
Not really. One of the main points of HST is low volume, high frequency. Your body couldn't recover enough from all the sets of 5x5 to do a full body workout again in 2 days. Why wold you want to combine them? They're just totally different...
 
I can't see how . . . 5x5 means 3 excercises for each body part. HST looks only at the contractile load upon the muscle (say pectoralis) as a stimulus to encourage growth, which is a biochemical process. So, clearly you only need one pectoralis stimulus. To avoid too much isolation work, and increase efficiency, they use compound movements (bench, squat, dip) as much as possible. 5x5 is basically just a catchy name for arnold's old split routines. No different. A mass exercise, and some "shapers" (although it's unclear scientifically how you can "shape" a muscle that either contracts or doesn't). HST is compound movements 3x week with unique periodization. They can't mix. I can't see how . . . I guess you could do the rep periodization, but that wouldn't make it HST, and I would guess that the specific rep periods (the exact number) would be considered by HST folks to be the least essential part of the system. In fact, I think I heard Brian say it could just as easily be 12,8,4 reps and be HST; that was arbitrary.
 
5x5 is basically just a catchy name for arnold's old split routines. No different>>>

Then I guess you could easily say HST is also a catchy name for Arnolds old routines. He recommends in An Education of a Bodybuilder that you do a brief full body workout m w f, using mainly compound movements, and low sets. And AM PM training, wasn't that called the double split in the 60's and 70's? Even Steve Reeves and Reg Park were doing routines *very* similiar to hst in the 50's!

I love hst, but if you think 5x5 is the routine that is just a rehatch of the old timers routines, then I'm not to sure. If you take a closer look, the *new science* of hst has been used and around for over 50 years now.
 
No argument here c3. HST to me is a catchy name for Steve Reeves routine :) (Even the 15,10,5 scheme 2 weeks each . . . ) I train westside and that's just powerlifting. I'm not selling anything man ;) Nor am I demeaning Needsize's awesome progress and helping people train. Nor am I demeaning Bryan Haycock who's done alot for people in weight training. I can't imagine there are going to be a lot of new ways of lifting heavy rocks/weights invented at this point in human history . . . I was just trying to explain my limited understanding of both "systems" and how they don't mix.
 
Maybe I am misunderstanding the debate here, but there is the assumption that Needsize's 5x5 is the only way to apply this set/rep scheme. And clearly it is not. If you are simply trying to do 3 5x5 whole body workouts a week M/W/F, the answer is yes of course. It is the most basic Bill Starr routine (Heavy Day, Light Day, Medium Day).
There is some more on this in the Debaser 5x5 thread.
 
LOL Wend, my fiancee' always says the same thing. He was beautiful man both on the outside, and in. He lived a clean life, and stayed out of trouble. He was a man of good values. Sadly he passed away a few years ago due to a complication from cancer. He lived a long life though, he was 74.

Maj, I'm sorry if my reply came off as hostile. I agree with you on all fronts. I think too many times we get caught up in all these new programs, and never step back and think that maybe it's not so new afterall.
 
Top Bottom