Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

INTRO to Spinning - SO NERVOUS!

JKurz1

Banned
Ok, I have to teach an INTRO TO SPINNING class on the first day of a new facility grand opening. What's the big deal? I've never taught an INTRO class before. Firstly, I don't want to scare anyone off. Secondly, I'm not sure what I should do. I was thinking about a quick lecture on the history of spinning, followed by me demoing the hand positions and movements, then have them do a 30 minute spin while I walk around a help those anyway I see fit. Maybe something like 2-3 minute intervals....anyone have experience with this?

Since this isn't a 'semester' situation where everyone there is new, and each week will always be the same people, I suggest you just make every class the same in that veterans and the new people will be able to fit in.

The first class will have people who are experienced (probably), and the 40th class will have new people in it - so there really is not difference between the first class and the 40th.

Just get going, show the hand positions (mine have 3) at the begining of the class and help people make adjusts during the 3-5 minute warm up.

If you want to share knowledge, do it in the middle of the class during rests. Maybe the heart-rate lecture at the beginning of class along with talk of getting HRMs and clip shoes.

I think the classes I've been to always mix things up. Hills, intervals, the standup/sitdown thing, sprints, emphasize one leg, then the other,

Good luck. I have thought of teaching one, too, and maybe in a year I will do so.

And PLEASE use good music and speak loudly enough for all to hear you. Sometimes I can't hear the instructor and often the music stinks (Ricky Martin, "It's raining men", etc.) Oh - and remember to tell people what to do if their feet fly off the pedals - shoot the legs out and pull on the risistance adjuster (it's a break).

You missed my point....it is REQUIRED by the club that the first two weeks are INTRO classes...it's clearly posted......reason being, spinning was never a part of the old club before it was re-vamped......so, actually, many will never had sat on a spinner before....not like the 40th class where you might have one or two newbies.....this could be the entire class...

I see. But my point is there should not be substantial differences between the class you teach on day one and day two. Everyone knows how a bike works, right?

Odds are you may have to spend more time than usual with individuals getting the bikes adjusted to their various sizes.

Folks will be comfortable by setting their own cadance or maybe their own resistance regardless of the exercises you do.

On balance, though, you may not want to do quiet as much standing straight up (position 2?)

You'll do fine. I think you have a good idea of what to cover. :)

Hand positions, foot positions, technique when standing, hydration, proper attire (padded shorts, bike seat, no loose clothing), what to expect each class, etc. Also discussing how each workout is individual - it is up to them to push themselves. Describe the "levels", how it should feel. I would definately go through each "position" - a short interval of standing hill, standing sprint, sitting hill, sitting sprint, etc. Demo the position at first, them walk around to "fix" people.

Good luck! :)

Daisy_Girl said:
You'll do fine. I think you have a good idea of what to cover. :)

Hand positions, foot positions, technique when standing, hydration, proper attire (padded shorts, bike seat, no loose clothing), what to expect each class, etc. Also discussing how each workout is individual - it is up to them to push themselves. Describe the "levels", how it should feel. I would definately go through each "position" - a short interval of standing hill, standing sprint, sitting hill, sitting sprint, etc. Demo the position at first, them walk around to "fix" people.

Good luck! :)
Bingo!

Syn - YOU'RE WRONG....your not reading me right. It's an INTRO class to people who have NEVER SPUN! NO, they don't have a clue as to how the bikes work. That will be imparent when the first persontries to stop the 44lb flywheel with their feet.......my point exactly......they will prob. not be able to stand and run for more than 1 or 2 minutes....no question.....in 3 months, these same people will be doing swithbacks and standing climbs for 12 minutes straight will little problem......see my point? iT DOES VARY.....Monday and thursday classes are geared to INTRODUCE the new activity......T,W, Friday are for the "spinners"........sorry if I wasnt clear...

don't worry. go over basic parts of the bike. then teach them how to align themself for the bars, seat ht and seat distance. Next talk about the class. Then pump the music. Do the standard warmup followed by a ride, followed by a little hill followed by a distant travel, followed by another hill, top of the hill, downhill and some recovery in there. Keep it simple and fun. Spalin to the folks that there are two intro courses and the third course would really be a challenge.

Don't forget to mention to the members to bring a gel seat cover or padded shorts.
These were some of the recomended suggestions from the person I was certified by. Shge was a schwinn consultant.

JKurz1 said:
Bingo!

Syn - YOU'RE WRONG....your not reading me right. It's an INTRO class to people who have NEVER SPUN! NO, they don't have a clue as to how the bikes work. That will be imparent when the first persontries to stop the 44lb flywheel with their feet.......my point exactly......they will prob. not be able to stand and run for more than 1 or 2 minutes....no question.....in 3 months, these same people will be doing swithbacks and standing climbs for 12 minutes straight will little problem......see my point? iT DOES VARY.....Monday and thursday classes are geared to INTRODUCE the new activity......T,W, Friday are for the "spinners"........sorry if I wasnt clear...

Funny, I seem to have said in my posts:
1) Teach them what to do when their feet fly off
2) You will have to spend extra time at the beginning of the class getting people fitted on their bike
3) Don't make them stand up too much.
4) Show them the hand positions

My point was that there was going to be new people in all your classes so you are going have to be mindful of this stuff everytime.

Top Bottom