Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Inner Chest

This is quite an interesting thread. All who have contributed, have offered excellent opinions and theories. One thing I will add, I have been trainning for approximately 11 years now. I first began using weights to aid my self-confidence, and assist me on the playing field. Later on I entered into the field of powerlfiting, (doing a program not to distant from the one robboe listed.) Now due to various reasons I have been trainning in more of a bodybuilding/shaping style.

When I was powerlifting and working out for sport, I used mainly the flat bench for my chest, as my only goal was power and functionality. I must say, my chest was not the center piece of my physique. My lower pecs were quite thick while the upper area was flat. (Needless to say most of my friends asked me where my sports bra was.) Anyway, once I began to change my routine and go the "bodybuilding" route I began to utilize the various other angular presing movements. Now, my chest looks completely different, my upper pecs are fuller, and the "gap" in the middle has discipated greatly.

Now I know what Robboe and Cackerot69 are saying, and I know where the thinking comes from, (I am an exercise physiology student.) One thing you must remember, those studies that show fiber activation all use EMG analysis. EMG is a very superficial test only testing the fibers that are very close to the surface of the muscle. Which leaves out quite a large percentage of the total fibers. The only true way to accurately record all active fibers, is through muscular biopsy. Which lets face it, is not a viable option for most.

Here is an idea Robboe why don't you try incorporating inclines into your routine in place of flat bench (just a suggestion.) The movement still incorporates a large amount of motor units, and may actually help to strengthen your flat bench, by increasing your strength in another plain. Again, just a suggestion. ANyway sorry for the long winded post, I hope it was helpful.

Liberator: The biceps are the smallest muscle i hit directly. Why would i waste a whole session on them when they are already fooked from back training? that would be like doing them twice a week which would reduce the amount of rest they have and would most likely either a) prevent optimum growth, or b) actually diminish them.

2 sets after back and they are growing nicely.

Edgecrusher [that song rocks BTW]: I used to do inclines for ages but realised that they did nothing special for me. All they did was give me great shoulder strength [i could lift the same weight above my head for DB press as i could Incline DB press:rolleyes:]

The 'fuller' upper chest you obtained could have been down to a larger chest on a whole since you had been training for longer by the time you started building for mass. The same goes for the gap between your pecs.

Also, if you leaned out for more muscle definition this gives the appearance of 'larger', 'fuller' muscles because they become more apparent. This could also 'close' the gap of your chest.

P.S. I am pleased you enjoy learning about exercise physiology :)

"Also, if you leaned out for more muscle definition this gives the appearance of 'larger', 'fuller' muscles because they become more apparent. This could also 'close' the gap of your chest."

This is definitely true Robboe.. when I stick to my diet for long periods of time I really feel like I am getting bigger but all thats really happening is I am leaner which is making my muscles look at lot bigger. :D:D Good job pointing that out.

Robboe

Why would you waste doing them after your back session when they have already been pre-fatigued through all the back work?? thats like doing two major bicep sessions in one workout anyway?

if you did triceps after back and bis after chest this would make more sense to me as you would be able to directly hit them using much more weight = much more growth because they are unrelated

no flame, i just want your opinion

Robboe said:

Sorry Robboe that last post was meant to say M56M in front of it not your name. Anyway, I meant to say that using differnt hand posistions doing curls you can emphasise different parts of the arm. Ex. Hammer Curls.

But whatever, I'm tired of this thread. But as far as this board being no benefit to you but the rest of us could benefit. Well let me just say it is good to know that there is someone here that knows everything and has nothing more to learn, now anytime I have a question I'll immediately come right to you.

Roboe

At what angle did you do the incline press at? I know if I use a standard incline press bench I only feel the movement in my shoulders. I need to use a standard adjustable bench, and bring it up to the first level. And I use dumbells.

I'm not sure about your dieting answer about the apperance of a fuller chest. I only say this because I only realised I had this problem after I dieted for the first time.

Have I changed my opinion on training? Absolutely not. Have I changed yours? Highly unlikely. It is good however, to see that there is a place we can come to discuss and exchange intelligent comentary on something we all enjoy and participate in so much.

LAter

Edge

Edgecrusher...
Agreed. I dont think anyone on here is so gullible to completely change their entire way of training because of what someone says. But its good that everyone can discuss what works for them.

I am going to try Robboe's type of training style though and see if that works for me.

Robboe...
Your upper pecs arent lagging at all. Without an incline movement my upper chest would suffer BIG TIME!

Monstar: you'd be suprised.

Lib: even after back work i can still lift heavy. if i did the way you described that would mean hitting arm muscles hard at least twice a week - throw in shoulder work and your triceps are gonna be fucked. It's not worth it. Spend less time in gym and more time out of it - resting and growing.

Edge: between 30 and 40 degrees i would say.

Oh and i woulkd say the dieting thing is prolly responsible for your 'fuller' chest. But if your methods work for you then power to you.

liberator
your question regarding working a prefatigued muscle vs while its fresh. its all preference. though it would be ideal, maybe for some to work the biceps while they are fresh, perhaps working them at the end works better for the individual. less volume, less time spent, same effect. its not about the amount of weight or the length of time you work the muscle, but the overall stimulus for change. you like working them while the muscle is fresh and spending possibly the first 5 sets getting them to the point where they are at after a back workout and only 3 sets will be the finisher. follow me? its all about overload. if its a "amount of weight" thing, then go for it. if its about stimulating the muscle to growth, thats a whole other ballgame.

Top Bottom