Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ibuprofen or Tylenol inhibiting muscle building or protein synthesis?

The NSAID's (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) - as the name implies - decrease the inflammation response to injuries, and strength training deals with damaging tissues and then repairing them. So if you are on 6 Aleve's every day, that probably will have a negative impact on your gains. IMO, I treat Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Aspirin (even though it's a little different) the same. They tend to be relatively harmless for the liver in moderate doses. They have been shown to be hard on your stomach and kidneys.

Tylenol works differenly and doesn't work as much on the inflammation, but works on the nerve's ability to signal pain and it also does a better job at fever reduction. It's much harder on the liver and even with all the pull the companies have that produce it, things are bad enough they are reducing the recommended amounts and so-forth, especially in Europe were deaths are high from Tylenol overdose. Admittedly, Oxycodone / Oxycontin aren't great if you get hooked on them, but they tend to not be toxic over the longer-run. So as long as it clears your system and you don't OD, the cumulative damage isn't bad and it doesn't affect inflammation - which is natural for the body to recover.

What's even worse than NSAID's are steroid injections (not AAS, but anti-inflammatory - like cortisone if taken constantly. An acute injury can be helped by using either NSAID's or the steroids, but mainly with pain and only right after injury. Otherwise, if you continue to take NSAID's, tissues just don't repair as fast or maybe not as well once complete....they even have an effect on the healing of broken bones.

Anyway, if you have a headache once a month, taking something for it isn't going to affect gains. Taking 4 Aleve's everyday will probably hurt gains - much more so if you are natural. Also, one of the first signals that you are taking too much NSAID's is heartburn that you didn't have before. Tylenol doesn't affect the inflammation as much - which, in contrast to what you've always heard, is good. Inflammation signals for the body to repair.

Overall, I don't think the benefits of taking NSAIDs often match the costs. If you are taking them often, probably need to do something to correct the issue. And although the opiates don't affect the inflammation significantly, if you are natural, you should know that opiates (if used consistently) lower testosterone production. The absolute worst time to take opiate pain killers would be during PCT.

Lot of rambling there...maybe something you were wanting to know???

Good luck.

Loads of good info in there. Thanks. So during PCT the NSAID would be better but not during normal times if I'm reading that correctly. Aleve works wonders for a sore back but I rarely take them because of a fear of their impact on protein synthesis.

Loads of good info in there. Thanks. So during PCT the NSAID would be better but not during normal times if I'm reading that correctly. Aleve works wonders for a sore back but I rarely take them because of a fear of their impact on protein synthesis.

Some guys mentioned oxycontin (like vicoden but stronger). If you take this consistently, it lowers your endogenous testosterone (your own). I don't think Aleve or Tylenol will do a lot to hurt testosterone production (as far as I know), but taking Aleve consistently will hurt the inflammatory process, which triggers healing...and gains in muscles size come from rapid and complete healing. Tylenol works more on the pain signal (so focuses on the nerves more), but taking it consistently will hurt your liver and just as if you were drinking, you want your body to be repairing muscle instead of repairing your liver (among other obvious issues like liver damage).

As far as strictly protein synthesis, I'd say the anti-inflammatories like Aleve are most likely to hurt.... Best option is to try to get by without anything on a regular basis, but taking a couple Aleve a few days a month is probably not much of an issue.

Thanks. I don't take anything regularly. I've gotten pretty good at suckin' up the pain and going on with it. I often think that if a normal person woke up feeling like I do they would probably go straight to the Dr. and say their back was f'd! LOL. For the most part though...lifting actually helps it.

I keep prescription Naprosyn (active ingredient in aleve) in my gymbag for various injuries...however I rarely use it, only when necessary. I have not noticed any decrease in performance or size because of it. I'm assuming the issue is with overuse of, I dont think popping the occasional tab is gonna hurt much.

ah, you guys and your hillbilly heroin :Boomstick
:biggrin:

Up here in tha upper heels need alittle sum thin to keep tha pane away. Plus alittle buzz ain't too bad ta go wit it since ya know, thair ain't much else go in on up here. I no its elegal an stuff, but a nice cold mountain dew and some oxy's(spellin) is mighty fine buy me. Darn yer hide.

Up here in tha upper heels need alittle sum thin to keep tha pane away. Plus alittle buzz ain't too bad ta go wit it since ya know, thair ain't much else go in on up here. I no its elegal an stuff, but a nice cold mountain dew and some oxy's(spellin) is mighty fine buy me. Darn yer hide.

lmfao!!!! yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!

1) avoid tylenol
2) for training aches and pains use ibuprofen when "needed"
3) DO NOT use celebrex it will kill your kidneys
4) taking 1 perscription 800mg ibuprofen is better for your stomach/liver/kidneys ect, than a bunch of OTC 200mg ones

AGREE^^^ Don't be scared to take ibuprofen or something similar on occasion and if you really do only "on occasion", then you can get by with taking considerably more than what is recommended for a single dose otherwise.

Does celebrex associated with increased risk of heart attacks? I remember that came out for a few drugs that are somewhat similar, but they work so well, that many people will often say they will take the risk in order to be able to function....mainly older people though.

Top Bottom