Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I think the superior cardio question is answered without a doubt

mrzap

I think watching the Olympics one can finally put a nail in the coffin of which form of cardio is more muscle sparing :)

Sprinters were jacked up and huge...

then I am watching the marathon runners yesterday. These guys looked like they were just liberated from a concentration camp. They all had that skeleton look with their eyes popped out. That has the be the most catabolic form of exercise.

They must have amazing cardio endurance though. I wonder what their resting heart rate is.

I'm sure they have endurance, but nothing important is going to last that long. Not even a fight. I agree, they look sickly as hell. Sprinters are usually pretty thick, especially their hams. Ever see the hamstrings on those guys? Damn!

Sprinting is more muscle sparring than marathon running, obviously. It's more anabolic. I heard from CCJ, actually, that it's the most intense activity to tax your CNS. Utilizes 90% or more of it, or some such. Even though there are other forms of cardio, and other ways to lose weight, I think sprinting is ideal.

mrzap said:
I think watching the Olympics one can finally put a nail in the coffin of which form of cardio is more muscle sparing :)

That was put to rest years ago ;). Don't forget that lots of sprinters are juice monkeys as well.

Tom Treutlein said:
I'm sure they have endurance, but nothing important is going to last that long. Not even a fight. I agree, they look sickly as hell. Sprinters are usually pretty thick, especially their hams. Ever see the hamstrings on those guys? Damn!

Sprinting is more muscle sparring than marathon running, obviously. It's more anabolic. I heard from CCJ, actually, that it's the most intense activity to tax your CNS. Utilizes 90% or more of it, or some such. Even though there are other forms of cardio, and other ways to lose weight, I think sprinting is ideal.

Sprinting for pure weight loss is actually not the ideal way to lose fat. Long periods of low intensity exercises, like walking, are best.

I'm not so sure about that, because after a heavy sprinting session, one will keep their metabolism elevated and burn more calories after the exercise. There's that whole debate about landing in the ideal HR% for burning stored fat, but I don't know which is really correct. Both seem sound to me, but I'd much rather sprint to preserve muscle and lose some fat. I'm sure, though, walking for long durations will prove productive as well. I never really doubted that, just which was superior. I think we can all agree though, that running marathons isn't the best way to lose fat and preserve muscle.

Something to read: http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm

Not sure if the link still works, my computer may just be lagging. It's an article I got from Casual awhile back.

Tom Treutlein said:
I'm not so sure about that, because after a heavy sprinting session, one will keep their metabolism elevated and burn more calories after the exercise. There's that whole debate about landing in the ideal HR% for burning stored fat, but I don't know which is really correct. Both seem sound to me, but I'd much rather sprint to preserve muscle and lose some fat. I'm sure, though, walking for long durations will prove productive as well. I never really doubted that, just which was superior. I think we can all agree though, that running marathons isn't the best way to lose fat and preserve muscle.

Something to read: http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm

Not sure if the link still works, my computer may just be lagging. It's an article I got from Casual awhile back.

OK STOP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! This has been beaten up more than a red-headed stepchild on these boards.......some say HITT is the best, others say slow and steady wins the race......it's fine if you want to post what has worked for YOU.....don't push it though......for ME, I've gotten down to sub 6% using 65% of my max for 35 minutes every am on a empty tank.....others have done HIIT and some do no cardio....it's 90% diet anyways, so however else you want to get there is on you...........

90% diet my ass when it comes to sprinting. I used to eat like SHIT (i did try to get my protein to about 200g a day) back when i was soph in college running track. I never got my bf i measured, and i never really lifted seriously, but i was shredded to pieces. Now, i think eating relatively clean while doing sprints (not bothering to really count calories) can get anyone shredded. Then again, i dont know any monsterous bbuilders who run sprints, but it all depends on goals. Fukkenshredded and Nelson Montana used to advocate 20 rep squats and sprints to get shredded. Hell i start windsprints today, im going to be doing them prior to weight training 3-4x a week. Im starting at 220lbs at around 13% bf. If i can finally get my fucking computer fixed ill snap some pics this week and take progress pics ever 2 weeks.

JKurz1 said:
Any idea on how those sprints train? HITT? Good routines anyone?
ill post what we used to do later on. I doubt the people on this board really need to sprint 5x a week like we used to, but it will show somewhat what we used to do.

Top Bottom