Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I read the whole thing. Was not to big a waist of my time.

needtogetaas

By Antoine du Rocher

NEW YORK, 8 AUGUST 2008 — As the Beijing Olympic Games take center stage today, some may wonder if the steroid aphorism, "one good drug can hide another," will continue to prove true. Still others believe that despite the Olympic committee's valiant efforts to protect the spirit of the 2008 Games, the dark side is au rendez-vous and "the committee hasn't got a chance."

These and other reflections are the domain of a young American research chemist, Jason S. Thomas, whose person and manner convey little of the rarefied world of steroid research and cancer drugs.

Tall, muscular, a bit pale with dark hair and eyes in the genre of the Canadian actor Keanu Reeves, Mr. Thomas is, in some ways, indistinguishable from any number of bouncers-in-black at hip clubs in downtown New York — until, that is, he begins to speak. Within seconds of his handshake, the ear is required to adjust to an articulate baritone from the American South, one that rivals that of the colorful Democratic political strategist and author, David "Mudcat" Saunders. Once engaged, however, the affable and cosmopolitan southerner is especially voluble when he talks about steroid research and its implications in medicine, sports and human evolution — as well as his other passion, bodybuilding.

Currently on sabbatical, the 30-year-old research scientist agreed to share with Culturekiosque his observations and insights into the little-understood and taboo world of steroid design.

Culturekiosque: Where do you come from in America?

Jason Thomas: I was born in Virginia...in a small town in a very rural part of southwest Virginia. The closest known town would be Roanoke, Virginia.

CK: What triggered your interest in science? Were your parents scientists?

JT: No, my mom taught at a private school. My father sold insurance. I went to a private school for high school and then the University of Virginia for college. I was pre-medicine and completed a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry with a specialization in Biochemistry; and that's what triggered my interest in science. When I graduated I had to decide on either medicine or graduate school in chemistry. I couldn't decide at first, so I taught high school chemistry for two years. Later, I chose chemistry and came to New York for graduate school. I am in a Ph.D. program in synthetic organic chemistry at City University of New York.

CK: Were you interested in sports during your studies?

JT: Sports are extremely important in the South. We have a lot of space for sports and you are an outcast in the South if you don't play sports. My father played college football and was headed for the NFL pro draft before he dropped out due to injury and the desire to start a family. Hell, in the South, everybody's father was a star football, baseball or basketball player in high school or college. When fathers introduce their sons, they often preface it with a current sports achievement. I did a lot of sports in high school and college. The University of Virginia is a big ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) school. So, you are talking about athletes from all over the country. I played soccer and football with the guys, but I was not a competitive athlete on any of the college teams.

Scientists are trying to take testosterone and make something better. That's what designer steroids are about — the second coming of evolution.

CK: What made you choose chemistry rather than medicine?

JT: In medicine you learn a lot about how the body works, but I wanted to look deeper...to know what went on below the surface. Chemistry is the most basic of the biological sciences. I wanted an explanation on the deepest level. In nutrition for example, I can explain a body organ, but I can also explain and analyze the reactions taking place within that organ. Chemistry takes me down to a more base level for explanations.

CK: How did you arrive at your specialization in biochemistry?

JT: There are seven sub-branches of pure chemistry. Biochemistry is a separate entity in itself, and to explain biochemistry thoroughly you need the pure chemistry background. To understand anything biological you have to understand the chemistry first. That is why I chose pure chemistry first rather than biochemistry. Within that, I do organic chemistry. And the reason for that is that I have always been interested in drug research. Had I chosen medicine, I would have been an anesthesiologist. I love how drugs interact with body systems. I want to know how to make the drugs, which is why I do synthetic organic chemistry. Designing drugs is one of the most useful aspects of chemistry. It's easy to say that a drug needs to be made for a specific condition or pathology, but somebody actually has to make it. I like the hands-on aspect of drug design and thus switched from their applications in medicine to actually making the medical drugs. I wanted to answer my own questions, but I also wanted to make a contribution. So, for now, I work on synthesizing compounds with anti-tumor activity with the hope that it will someday become a cancer drug.

CK: Did sports have an impact on your professional orientation?

JT: Well, I lifted ever since I got out of high school. The more you lift the more you learn about supplements and drugs. I soon realized that I could understand this stuff because this was my field. It was motivating. The more I learn the more I can apply to lifting — which I love. So, it's not just the cancer drugs I work on, but I also enjoy looking at what's out there in other areas such as sports supplements and nutrition. Whenever I read about a new supplement in a professional journal or magazine, I have to know how and whether it works. Chemistry allows me to know this. I like to be a know-it-all.

CK: And what constitutes your work in synthetic organic chemistry?

JT: Usually organic chemistry is geared toward medical research. So, I am in the lab with the reactions trying to make actual compounds for medical drugs. In the organic chemistry departments at The City University of New York, a lot of the projects are geared toward medical drugs for HIV, cancer, etc.

CK: How does one get from synthetic organic chemistry to steroids?

JT: I have always been interested in steroids because I have actually done bodybuilding contests. I was natural because I never wanted to take steroids. Most of all, because they are illegal unless prescribed by a doctor and that's so expensive.

CK: When did you compete?

JT: I competed at the age of 22 and 23 in 2000 and 2001.

CK: Were you completely natural? Did you ever use steroids while training or for your contest preparation?

JT: No, I was completely natural. Initially, I got interested in the nutrition of lifting because I wanted to figure out a natural way to keep up with the steroid users. Then it started to fascinate me because I would see these guys that I worked out with. I knew them when they were not using steroids, and then I would see them when they did. It was amazing the transformations steroids made. I thought to myself, "I do chemistry. Why don't I look at this deeply?" When you can change the human body that much, I think it's fascinating. And that's how I got into studying steroids. With my Ph.D. program, it worked nicely because along with a doctoral dissertation, I had to pick another thesis topic, develop it, present it to my colleagues, but never actually pursue it. With all the news about THG [Tetrahydrogestrinone] and the BALCO [Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative] scandal, I thought it would be a hot topic and interesting for everyone if I presented the topic of steroids. With the exception of Ouabain, which is a non-anabolic steroid heart medicine, nobody at our university is working on steroids.

CK: There seem to be many definitions of the word steroid. How would you best define a steroid?

JT: Unfortunately, when the public says or reads "steroid" in the media, everybody thinks "anabolic steroids". But a true definition for chemists or physicians is the 4-ring carbon chain which has the basic resemblance to cholestorol.

CK: So, in fact, the most suitable definition would be any of several fat soluble organic compounds having as a basis 17 carbon atoms and four rings. How does one define "anabolic?"

JT: Anabolic steroids are steroids that have the potential to translate pieces of DNA into muscle. What that means is that an anabolic steroid, when taken by a human or any mammal, can produce new muscle. The method of doing that is complex because each section of the DNA codes is for a different thing. That's what genes are all about. There are sections which are there just to have anabolic steroids attach to them — like testosterone for example. And when they do so, it signals the DNA to translate into RNA —which is used to code for new proteins. New protein means new muscle. DNA to RNA is called translation. RNA to protein is called transcription. The steroid lands on the DNA, attaches to it and starts the process of making new proteins. Muscle is protein. And protein is not just muscle, it is enzymes in your body — it's hair, it's all kinds of stuff. There are sections that are just for new skeletal muscle.

CK: What are steroidal supplements?

JT: Again "steroidal" includes anything that has that 4-ring construction. For example, the prohormones or steroid precursors that are currently advertised everywhere, are steroidal. All except for one difference, they resemble steroids. But again, just because they have that shape doesn't mean they act like a steroidal compound. It doesn't mean they do anything for muscle —certainly not by themselves, because they don't. Steroid compounds are supplements. I would consider that anything from vitamins, because they too have that structure, to cortisone. All athletes know what cortisone is. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory steroid that breaks down tissue as opposed to building up tissue. Steroids do a lot of different things. Some hormones are steroids. The THG in the BALCO scandal is related to gestrinone, which is used to treat endometriosis in women — where uterine tissue grows outside the uterus where it shouldn't. Gestrinone doesn't grow muscle, but it is absolutely a steroid. Again, anabolic is only one of several different types of steroids.

The King of Steroids

CK: Is it safe to assume that, for the general public, the mystification or taboo of steroids is essentially linked to the world of anabolic steroids and, perhaps more recently, to trendy steroidal supplements such as steroid precursors or prohormones, also known as "legal steroids?"

JT: Yes, and I have a few numbers on those.

CK: Having defined anabolic steroids and assuming that most people are only interested in teenage abuse or their impact on the performance of elite athletes during the Olympic Games, Tour de France and professional sports such as American football and baseball, why are steroids so powerful?

JT: It is very complex and it is still a bit of a mystery. But why they work so well is because of evolution. Humans and all other mammals have had a need to have hormones, to have steroids: for males and females to develop at puberty, to grow muscles in order to stand up straight, etc. Over a long evolutionary process the body has had time to make more efficient and more effective hormones to achieve these ends. The final product over time is testosterone. There isn't an anabolic steroid out there that is better than testosterone. The body has had all this time to make this "perfect" anabolic agent, this "perfect" muscle builder. Right now, no scientist has made anything stronger. Scientists are trying to take testosterone and make something better. That's what designer steroids are about — the second coming of evolution.

CK: Is that why bodybuilders and other elite athletes refer to testosterone as the "king of steroids?"

JT: Yes, it is the king and the strongest. If evolution is true, the body has made innumerable genetic changes over time to produce the perfect anabolic agent. Unfortunately, for scientists, testosterone has side effects that we don't want such as male-pattern baldness, acne, potential prostate cancer. Still, the human body is amazing and after millions of years, testosterone is what it has come up with.

CK: How long has science been trying to make something better than testosterone?

JT: We knew about testosterone for a long time. But it was in the 1930s that scientists in a lab isolated testosterone from bull testicles.

CK: It was reported that scientists in the Third Reich experimented with human testosterone and the German military.

JT: I also read that, but most scientists had to adhere to regulations about humans and scientific experimentation. Testosterone from bull testicles was the first time we had mass samples of it in the lab where we could study it and do things to it to try to change it.

CK: What about the first attempts to synthesize it?

JT : The isolation of the male hormone testosterone dates to 1935 followed by the development of synthetic variants in the late 1930s. That said, it exploded synthetically with the work of Russell Marker who had studied the endocrine system and was looking for ways to develop a birth control agent. Marker knew about estrogen and those compounds related to it. He knew what you needed to make birth control agents, but where would you isolate those from? For some reason, he went to Mexico where a plant, the Mexican yam, yielded a compound (diosgenin) that was closely related to estrogen. With six easy chemical changes that any Masters-level chemist could perform, you get progesterone which is a steroid. Several steps away from that is pure estrogen. The compound was cheap to make and the Mexican yam was plentiful thoughout Mexico — whereas to make a small amount of synthetic testosterone, you had to kill so many bulls that it was inhumane. There are also regulations governing the killing of bulls. Russell Marker's work with the Mexican yam for a birth control agent marked the beginning of the explosion of synthetic steroid production. Why? Because while Marker was only concerned with developing a birth control agent, endocrinologists and other scientists realized that Marker had found an efficient and cost effective route to progesterone, the parent compound of testosterone and to all anabolic steroids. The same is true in your body: from cholesterol you have to run it to progesterone before you make anything else. Progesterone is a natural branching point for other steroids and that is why Marker's work was so huge for endocrinologists and chemists. Today many companies that make pure anabolic steroids still use the Mexican yam. Now that we know the recipe, it doesn't take a Ph.D. chemist to do it. It's a simple conversion from the diosgenin of the Mexican yam to whatever steroid you want to make. The 4-ring carbon chain, an otherwise complex structure to make chemically, is already in place for you in nature. You just have to mess around with things to change that. And this is where synthetic chemistry comes in.

CK: Would you say that most people are more familiar with steroids than they imagine? For example, if your mother, your sister, wife or girlfriend takes birth control pills, they in fact take steroids.

JT: Absolutely. Birth control is estrogen or chemically-related compounds. A woman's estrogen levels change naturally due to pregnancy or menstrual cycles. Birth control tricks the body's awareness of its estrogen levels.

CK: If we return to anabolic steroid design and sports.

JT: Steroid chemists are trying to create a drug that doesn't convert to estrogen because estrogen has side effects that you see in women who take birth control: water retention, fat gain, and most spectacular: gynecomastia or development of breast tissue in men.

CK: So, when athletes on testosterone or other anabolic steroids talk of water retention and "bitch tits", they are referring to the same estrogen-related side effects that a woman experiences when her estrogen levels change, either naturally or because she is taking birth control.

JT: Yes, because another side effect of testosterone is its easy conversion to estrogen — a process known as "aromatization." Again, steroid chemists are trying to create an equivalent drug that doesn't convert to estrogen and eliminates the other major negative side effects: androgenic effects, which is to say, severe acne, male-pattern baldness, agressiveness, testicular atrophy, risk of prostate cancer.

CK: Can you give us a few profiles of the most popular anabolic steroids and why they would appeal to athletes and their specific sports?

JT: Yes, of course. In fact, this information is easily available on the Internet. Pharmaceutical companies that make steroids publish steroid profiles as part of their marketing. China, Mexico, Russia, Eastern Europe and the United States are all big producers. Most products are for legitimate medical use. If your child turns 14 and has not experienced puberty it is possible that a doctor will prescribe steroids or growth hormone. That said, to give a child pure testosterone or pure estrogen is problematic because of the androgenic or estrogen effects of these hormones. Synthetic chemistry has attempted to develop products which supply a healthy dose without the side effects. Men with testosterone deficiencies and AIDS patients with muscle-wasting conditions also currently benefit from steroids. Veterinary medicine is a huge market for steroids. For one thing there aren't the stipulations reserved for human use. Dogs in recovery after surgery are given steroids. Horse racing has probably promoted steroids more than anything else because you want to develop this huge horse that runs better with a stronger cardio-vascular system. The same is true of cattle. Bigger cows yield more beef to sell.

BALCO Scandal

CK: Can you tell us more about designer steroids and their impact on sports?

JT: Sure. In fact, I am going to take you inside the head of a steroid designer. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, there was no reason to sneak around. Steroids did not become a controlled substance until 1991. Prior to that, anabolic steroids were already big business, but they were not trying to get around a system. The point of designer steroids was to create an anabolic steroid without the androgenic or estrogenic side effects. As soon as steroids became a controlled substance and illegal without prescription, all known steroid profiles were indexed in an analytical machine known as a mass spectrometer. Chemistry labs, like the Olympic Analytical Laboratory at UCLA that was involved in the BALCO probe have all steroids on file and make use of this machine. And the way you screen for steroids is to tests an athelete's urine or blood against those known steroids on file. Each steroid has its own finger print or molecular signature. When the mass spectrometer indicates a match, the test is positive. In the past, anything other than testosterone was a designer steroid and by definition simply an attempt to lessen negative side effects in their clinical use. Designer steroids now mean a change of the chemical compound so that it won't show up or match any finger prints on file. In other words, steroid designers want to beat the system. It's big business. A good example is THG or tetrahydrogestrinone. Let me show you what THG really is:

Tetrahydrogestrinone

Gestrinone is a synthetic hormone that for years was used to treat endrometriosis in women. What the steroid designers did was reduce the triple bond to a single bond. And now you have THG. A simple chemical process, found in every chemistry textbook in the country, can take take a carbon-carbon triple bond and change it to a carbon-carbon single bond. They got lucky. The Olympic Lab would never test for this because the original compound, gestrinone, has legitimate medicinal uses and it has no anabolic effects at all. But if you simply reduce this triple bond to a single bond you create a very powerful anabolic steroid that is not on file anywhere. And that is why it is considered a "designer steroid" — because it doesn't show up on the molecular signature charts. The only reason the Olympic lab found out about it was because somebody sent a syringe full of it to them. Otherwise, it is unlikely anybody would think to look at a synthetic hormone used to treat endrometriosis in women.

CK: How easy is it to perform this transformation in a lab?

JT: Very simple. There are reactions that you run to go from a triple bond to a double bond and then to a single bond. There are recipes for that. You can reduce gestrinone to THG in any undergraduate chemistry lab. Understand though that the guy who knew to look at gestrinone to begin with was a major chemist with a deep knowledge of steroid drugs. In fact, he got this idea from a drug called trenbolone (Finajet) which is a legal precursor made for horses transformed to a very popular illegal anabolic steroid known as parabolan. Some bodybuilders transform trenbolone into parabolan in their kitchens. You order the steroid making kit from a veterinary site over the Internet. What's more, the Web tells you how to do it: "how to create illegal from legal."

CK: What about sterile conditions?

JT: That's the problem. A lot depends on how good these guys are in their kitchens. There are strict regulations on temperatures and bacteria when performed by professional laboratories. And that is why some people become ill after taking these home preparations, or they develop an abscess at the injection site.

CK: The 2004 Olympic Games in Athens were plagued by suspicion and drug scandals. Can you be more specific about the most popular anabolic steroids and why an athlete would choose to use them?

JT: Again, everything starts with testosterone. With that in mind, let's look at methandrostenolone (Dianabol), one of the most popular mass gainers ever. Commonly known as D-bol, Dianabol is the penultimate teen anabolic. Most anabolic steroid abuse in America is due to Dianabol. Because sports are such a priority in the South, every teenage jock that I have ever known started with D-bol. It makes you look big and strong in record time, but in reality the androgenic side effects are also immediately visible: excessive water retention and bloating. Moreover, once you come off D-bol, you lose most of your gains because they were essentially all water and fat at the subcutaneous level.

Chemically what's different from testosterone?

You have the OH (hydroxyl group, an oxygen and hydrogen atom attached to the steroidal backbone) in place. Everything is pointing in the same direction. Everything is the same except for the extra carbon-carbon double bond which, incidentally, increases appetite and glucose uptake into muscle cells. Another major difference is that D-bol is a pill and the methyl group (CH3) at position 17 is what makes it a pill. The 17 position, which refers to the 17th carbon in the 4-ring carbon chain, is one of the most important positions with steroids, and refers to our original definition of steroid. Testosterone has to be injected. If you take it orally, it is eliminated. It never gets absorbed because of stomach acids. You put this one little CH3 at the 17th position, it's now orally active. At the same time, every time you see the CH3 in this position you also know it will be liver toxic. The CH3 also implies that, even though less of the drug is converted to estrogen, what little is converted is even stronger than estrogen. Therefore, although D-bol might have fewer effects than testosterone, there is still a lot there. The designers improved on testosterone, but not to a great extent. Football players, powerlifters, wrestlers, world's strongest men, bodybuilders are those most likely to use Dianabol for the following reasons: it increases appetite, it has the same carbon-carbon double bond as testosterone and thus will be converted to estrogen — promoting weight gain via fat and water retention. Because D-bol resembles testosterone so strongly, it will be a strong anabolic. Dianabol is rarely taken by female athletes because of the strong androgenic, estrogenic and virilization side effects: deepening of the voice, enlargement of the clitoris, facial hair plus the excessive water retention and bloating. If people were more educated, D-bol would not be so popular, but given its easy availability and inexpensive cost, it remains an anabolic steroid of choice. It is popular for the same reasons pro-hormones or steroid precursors are popular: uneducated consumers.

Steroid Profiles

Jason Thomas: Nandrolone (Durabolin, Deca Durabolin) is by far one of the most popular anabolic steroids. It is known for moderate anabolic effects with little androgenic and estrogen-related side effects. How does this differ from tesotosterone? The long ester side chain mimics the chemical structure of fat and is consequently stored among fat cells and slowly and steadily released into the blood stream. This provides more steady testosterone levels, which cannot be achieved from the faster anababolic agents such as Dianabol. Again, it has the methyl group at the 17th position and thus can be taken orally. That said, the fat-like ester side chain makes it difficult to be absorbed with the water-based fluids of the stomach and bowel. Therefore, it is usually administered as an oil-based injectable in the buttocks or shoulders. The missing methyl group in the 10th position is crucial to androgen-receptor binding. You therefore encounter less of the androgen side effects such as hair loss, acne, risk of prostate cancer or agressiveness associated with testosterone. However, there is a possibility of reduced sexual function commonly known as "Deca dick." There are very few athletic performances that would not benefit from Nandrolone. It is one of the few mass gainers that female athletes take because of its limited side effects.

Sustenon , like Dianabol, is one of the most powerful mass gaining anabolic agents. Sustenon is testosterone, the principal reason it is such a powerful mass gaining agent. As such, the negative side effects are those of testosterone. The same athletes that use Dianabol would look favorably at Sustenon. However, I would tend to think that baseball players would find this drug of interest because there is less association with water retention. They get all the extra strength with the bat, but they won't be slowed down by as much water. Still, because this is straight testosterone and a major anabolic, you can't remain on this for an entire cycle because of the side effects. The difference between this and testosterone lies in the four esters of different length attached to testosterone.

The more carbons you have in the chain the more lipophilic it is — which means the more it likes fat tissue and thus the slower it is released into the blood stream. If you shoot pure testosterone it doesn't want to sit in your adipose tissue, it wants to go right into the blood stream. It's very fast acting. Your levels jump up and jump down. This can be dangerous. Because of its 8, 2, 6 and 10-carbon ester chain structure, Sustenon is control-released. The more carbons you put in the molecule the more it doesn't like water — water being the blood stream. This is the "designer" aspect of Sustenon and means that when you shoot it in your body once a week, it is being released over a period of seven days. It's pretty amazing.

With combinatorial chemistry on the horizon, I don't think the Olympic commitee has a chance.

Masteron is definitely not known as a powerful anabolic. Its claim to fame is that it doesn't convert to estrogen or lead to fat gain or water retention. In fact, it burns fat. Masteron is ephedra times 100. When you look at the molecule there is no carbon-carbon double bond as in testosterone.

For this reason, it is simply impossible for it to be coverted to estrogen. What makes this anabolic steroid so unique is that it lowers levels of estrogen by blocking those receptors that convert testosterone to estrogen. So, with the body's normal testosterone or another anabolic steroid, Masteron will block their access to the receptors and thus will lower estrogen significantly in the body. What this means is that it is a powerful fat burner. The herbal stimulant ephedra only burns fat by increasing the body's core temperature, whereas Masteron burns fat at a hormonal level. In fact, all those supplements that promise to burn fat are simply a soup of asprin, caffein and ephedra which accomplishes little more than to raise the body's core temperature — an internal response to any form of exertion such as jogging, eating, sex or walking stairs. Something to think about the next time you make a trip to the health food store. Sports requiring low body fat, speed and lean muscle tone benefit most from Masteron. Track and field athletes, cyclists, swimmers, basketball players, boxers, gymnasts, soccer players, fitness models and trainers are those most likely to use Masteron.

Boldenone (Equipoise): As the name implies, Equipoise was developed for horses and is an important veterinary steroid. It continues to be more popular with vets than athletes. Like Dianabol, it is a mass gainer, and it will also have strong androgenic effects. The long-acting ester chain means that it is slower in its release in the blood.

The absence of the CH3 at the 17th position indicates that Equipoise is an injectable and not orally active. Because of the double bond between Carbon 1 and Carbon 2 in this molecule we know that, for whatever reason, it increases glucose uptake in the muscle and this will trigger an enormous appetite. Most athletes who inject Equipoise complain of ravenous appetites. Forming that bond is the last step in the designer process. In other words, that bond was not a naturally occuring reaction but was purposely put there to increase appetite in order to increase glucose uptake and therefore trigger greater protein synthesis resulting in a stronger and more powerful horse. Weightlifters, football players, wrestlers and powerlifters are most likely to use Equipoise.

CK: In terms of their current use, it seems that you are talking in ideal terms. Can you be more specific about their actual use and protocols?

JT: You have to remember that most athletes are not taking one or another drug by itself. Athletes combine the anabolic steroid with estrogen blockers to counteract the side effects. Because if you administered the drug by itself, there would be a lot of muscle, but there would also be a lot of water and androgenic side effects. But if you use these with an estrogen blocker or inhibitor, you get a really strong testosterone agent.

CK: In other words, their design is less than perfect.

JT: Right. The problem in steroid design is that in order to make one thing better, you make the other thing worse. With Dianabol, it may be better because you can take it as a pill, but over time it is liver toxic and converts easily to estrogen.

CK: So, the user has to take an anti-estrogen along with it?

If child molestors are capable of harm on the Internet, so are wannabe steroid gurus in anabolic steroid chat rooms.

JT: Yes. Steroid designers have been limited by the structure of the molecule. But that is going to change, because there are now new ways to make the molecule all together. Until now, you started with diosgenin. You go to progesterone, then you make all other anabolic steroids. You can only do but so much because that basic structure is all there. Now, they are putting these things together from different pieces and in the next few years they might find something as anabolic as pure testosterone but with none of the side effects. For the moment, this is not possible as long as they use diosgenin as the initial compound. In my opinion, designer steroids are going to blow up in the next couple of years. Instead of making 50 different molecules they will be able to make 50 million different combinations. It will be like evolution all over again [without the limitations of time].

CK: If that proves true, what are the implications for testing and elite international sports such as the Olympic Games.

JT : Official analytical labs like the one involved in the BALCO probe or the WADO might win the occasional battle, but they won't win the war. For the moment, it's just a game of cat and mouse. The only way to catch an athlete is to procure a sample. By the time you screen an athlete, the drug has been out there on the black market, and the designers are already busy with something else. You are always a step behind. With combinatorial chemistry on the horizon, I don't think the Olympic commitee has a chance.

CK: In gyms and especially Internet dissussion forums, there are often heated debates about anabolic steroid combinations either for specific sports or bodybuilding training and contests. Can you comment on that?

JT: Combining one or another steroid is called "stacking." It is common practice for the simple reason that athletes are looking for the maximum anabolic effect. Often this means maintaining one or another anabolic steroid circulating in the blood for 8, 10, 12, or even 16 weeks. This is known as a "cycle." The problem is that with the exception of elite and competitive bodybuilders, most of these guys don't understand the organic chemistry or why they are doing this, only that it seems to work. They rarely understand or care about the seriousness of the side effects, or the biochemistry of the additional medication or therapies they take to counteract any and all side effects. Bottom line for most of these recreational is, "Does it work?"

As far as the Internet, discussion boards, chat rooms, etc. are concerned, I personally do not participate in discussion groups on the Internet. The kind of information that I need is highly specialized and not easily available on the Web. As a chemist, I need molecular structures and signatures in 3-D. Furthermore, what I have to say, nobody gives a shit. If they don't listen to me in the gym, why should they listen to me on the Internet? The same muscle heads in the gyms that don't listen to me or any other scientist or medical practitioner won't listen on the Internet. My observation is that most of these forums are devoted to stacking and cycle recipes, anecdotes and gossip. Granted some of the participants are highly knowledgeable because of years of steroid experimentation. Nevertheless, anabolic steroids are sophisticated drugs and if you are going to base your use on information gathered from a chat room screen name — which is to say; a person you have never met and whose occupation and location are unknown to you — you need to have your head examined. If child molestors are capable of harm on the Internet, so are wannabe steroid gurus in anabolic steroid chat rooms. The fact that these drugs are now easily availablity over the Internet makes this phenomeonon all the more startling; it is the simultaneous access to the drugs and bad information that makes this dangerous. That said, some of the most knowledgeable assessments of steroid use can be found through e-mail correspondence with elite athletes and trainers, many of whom have websites.

HGH, Medicine and Controlled Evolution .

Culturekiosque: What about Human Growth Hormone (HGH)?

Jason Thomas: Growth hormone is growth hormone is growth hormone; which is to say that there is no such thing as designer growth hormone. As I mentioned, I am a chemist with a specialization in biochemstry. Growth hormone as well as Insulin are more the domain of endocrinologists. Both are very complex in function like testosterone and other anabolic variants of testosterone. Anabolic steroid design is about chemical reactions and that is what I do for a living. With human growth hormone or insulin there is no design on any of those at this point in time. I can therefore discuss the effects, but in order to lift the veil, I would need the collaboration of colleagues in endocrinology.

CK: In other words, growth hormone and insulin are not a simple matter of a molecular theme and variations?

JT: Right. It's a rabbit hole of never ending endocrinological pathways.

CK: Still, given that growth hormone is very much the trend as seen by the proliferation of anti-aging clinics across the United States, and insulin the rage with elite and competitive bodybuilders, it would be informative to know some of the effects that have made both so appealing to different segments of the population.

JT: I will limit my remarks to men, who are the biggest users of human growth hormone at the moment. If used by itself, moderate muscle gains, strengthening of the bones and joints, very noticeable and obvious fat loss. These are the positive aspects. The short term negative side effects are perhaps less dangerous than anabolic steroids, but they are more spectacular. The biggest is facial bone growth: cheek bones and jaw bones. In addition, the famous " 'roid gut" that has become prevalent in recent years in the elite bodybuilding community, can be attributed to intestinal diameter growth which is a direct result of growth hormone. The grainy, thin-skinned and almost transparent quality of muscle that you see on many "Chelsea boys" (gays in New York's Chelsea district) is an indication of growth hormone use. Most of them have 'roid guts too. Hell, all you have to do is stand outside the club where I work on weekends in the heart of Chelsea to see what I am talking about. Every guy that walks by is buff. But it's all little legs, no ass and big upper bodies: big chests, big arms. They don't care about the rest. They just want the upper body to look good. I'm assuming they're gay because they are walking shirtless in pairs, sometimes hand in hand and many are headed to The Eagle, a big leather night club around the corner. You know these guys are not competing or serious bodybuilders, but they want to look good. They're happy.

CK: For clarification can you give us one last example of a designer anabolic steroid which was developed for medical reasons and a more recent designer steroid that was developed and marketed strictly with the elite sport community in mind?

JT: Oxandrolone (Anavar) was developed for children with slow development. The design is such that it is orally active, less liver toxic, mildly to moderately anabolic and potent enough to trigger puberty without side effects related to conversion to estrogen. On the other hand, Esiclene was strictly designed for bodybuilders and is an excellent example of the designer steroid in the extreme. It is an anabolic, androgenic and it is purposefully inflammatory. It was designed in such a way as to place a hydroxyl (alcohol) group in the path of the steroid binding to the receptor which would convert it to estrogen. In addition, they placed a formyl (formaldehyde) group on the steroid to irritate tissue and induce swelling in the region of injection. The professional bodybuilder Flex Wheeler made public his almost lethal reaction to this steroid.

Steroids are quickly becoming mainstream and, although medicine can ignore a minority subculture, it cannot ignore the average person.

CK: Current research indicates an increasing mainstream interest in hormonal therapies, notably by middle-aged, professional men.

JT: Look at the ads on TV for health spas, diet plans, diet pills, viagra and libido enhancement drugs. That's what Americans want today: healthy body, healthy cardio-vascular system and a healthy sex drive. So, what can testosterone do for the average American? It gives them everything they want: better body, less body fat and healthy sex drive. Since birth control compounds, designer steroids for women, are now administered through transdermal technology, I think that testosterone, properly dosed, will soon be available for men. Accident victims who require immobilization can benefit from steroids to counteract muscle wasting. The first medical applications are for coma or paralysis.

CK: The $18-billion dollar dietary supplement industry in America includes off-the-shelf prohormones. Any comments?

JT: Prohormones are a joke. Prohormones are a slightly altered form of testosterone or other true designer steroids; i.e, one or more bonds are changed. The manufacturers suggest that, once inside the body, these compounds will convert to active testosterone. Although, theoretically possible, the human body doesn't follow this agenda. In fact, far less than one percent of the ingested dose actually converts to testosterone. And this number is for the "best" prohormones such as the one Mark McGuire was using. Scientists are skeptical that such a low increase in serum testosterone levels would cause any increase in muscle size or performance. Bottom line is they don't work. However, I am speaking about the anabolic properties. The reason some prohormones are being banned (with others soon to follow) is because they still have negative side effects This is because the compound is similar enough in chemical structure to testosterone that they bind to both the androgen and aromatase receptors causing the side effects typical of testosterone: acne, balding, aggression, bloating, etc. Prohormones essentially give you all the negative effects with none of the anabolic effects — all for a price comparable to that of true steroids. The reporter who broke the story should have looked deeper inside McGuire's locker.

CK : If anabolic steroids were legal and without the side effects you discussed earlier, would you use them?

JT: No. Bodybuilding for me is not only about the end result, it's about the journey along the way. Natural bodybuilding is one of the most difficult sports in the world. It becomes so much more of a challenge than bodybuilding with anabolic aids such as steroids, growth hormone, and insulin because much more attention must be payed to all aspects of the sport: nutrition, training, recovery and biochemical knowledge. I try to maximize these aspects to compete hand in hand with my peers who use anabolic aids. If it was easy to get big, I am almost sure that I would lose interest in the sport. It's like when men talk about dating, referring to the "chase" that is so exciting. Chasing the hard-to-attain, perfect body is what keeps me going.

CK: That's very noble, but many athletes, including competitive bodybuilders, might argue that there is considerable pressure from competition, economics and fans that require bigger bodies or record- breaking performances in much the same way that audiences required bigger and bloodier gladiatorial combat in Ancient Rome.

JT: Most bodybuilders fall off the natural bandwagon when their egos take over. They can't stand to be compared to a steroid user and appear smaller. This is something that bothered me when I was say, fifteen years old, but I've grown older and wiser. Others fall off the natural bandwagon when they begin to think that they have a chance at a professional bodybuilding career. Because 99.9% of national level and professional bodybuilders use anabolic aids, those who aspire understand that to compete on a level playing field, they must "switch to the Dark Side." The use of steroids to achieve money and fame is by no means novel to the bodybuilding community. Just look at popular sports such as baseball, football and basketball: fans want to see longer homeruns, more gruesome tackles, and more high-flying dunks. Team owners, managers, and coaches want what the fans desire, because more fans mean more money. Athletes who go beyond the norm and give the fans something spectacular share a piece of this wealth. And every high school, college, and professional athlete in the country is fully aware of this. Most are willing to do anything necessary to get an edge over the next athelete, and anabolic steroids provide that edge.

Brian Moss: Bodybuilding, USA
© Brian Moss | All Rights Reserved
Photo courtesy of Brian Moss

CK: Without encouraging the use of anabolic steroids, what advice would you give somebody that asked you about anabolic steroids?

JT: It's a question that I receive on a daily basis. I know that once the person asks me about steroids that it's a done deal; they have most likely purchased the gear and could have already started the cycle. Therefore, I provide them with prophylactic advice: consult your physician so that he or she can test your testosterone levels. It turns out that many people often have high estrogen levels and physicians will prescribe testosterone as therapy. This is how I bait them into seing a physician. Many people associate using steroids with drug use, but if they are prescribed by a physician then it removes the negative connotations from the word. There is also the possibility that medical insurance could cover the steroid prescription in the case that a person's estrogen levels are high, since it is in that case "therapy."

CK: What about bodybuilding and medicine?

JT: Bodybuilding needs medicine and medicine needs bodybuilding. It's really amazing that the two are currently so disconnected. The only time a physician might even come in contact with a bodybuilder is during a bodybuilding show when an elite athlete is rushed to the emergency room for extreme dehydration. Medicine and bodybuilding have more things in common than most people might suspect: steroids and other anabolic drugs, research and the desire for better drugs. In medicine, steroid therapy is widespread — from birth control to muscle wasting in AIDS patients to growth defects in children to anti-tumor agents. Physicians and Ph.D.s involved in clinical research and trials with steroids and steroid analogs really need to open their eyes and put the mice and rabbits back in their cages. There are countless numbers of speaking, intelligent and willing test subjects walking around in gyms and on bodybuilding stages all over the country. The amount of data that could be collected from the bodybuilding community would be astronomical. Not to mention the empirical data that has been collected thus far by amateur and professional bodybuilders and trainers. Just go to any chat room on a bodybuilding website and there are some experts on the subject of steroid stacking, side effects, doses, etc. My point isn't to say that professional scientists would use this empirical data; it is to say that the data is there and, under professional guidelines, the data that could be collected would be much more potent towards medical research than that performed on lab animals.

So what does the bodybuilding community get in return? Physicians could monitor their use of drugs and provide them with much needed supervision. At the present time, most bodybuilders rely on word of mouth when it comes to their use of anabolic drugs. Many don't realize that they are over their body's limit until it is too late. I know someone who had a heart attack in his early thirties from abuse of steroids and insulin. Physicians could make a drastic difference by constantly monitoring vitals and drug levels in the blood. I feel that bodybuilding and medicine might be forced to merge very soon as anabolic drug use and abuse is no longer limited to the bodybuilding culture and professional athletes. Steroids have crept there way into everyone's reality. What I mean is that so many people are affected or will be affected in some way by steroids. Many people might take exception to this opinion, but what if your son starts using steroids to make the high school football team? Or your friend at the office is thinking about going to one of the clinics to receive testosterone and HGH? Steroids are quickly becoming mainstream and, although medicine can ignore a minority subculture, it cannot ignore the average person. I think that bridging the gap between bodybuilding (and other elite atheletes) and medicine is important and helpful for all involved and I hope that my future research might head in that direction. It's not that I want to try and synthesize the next testosterone to try and sell to the bodybuilding community — it's that I want to take my love of bodybuilding and consequential interest in steroid design and focus on steroid analogs that would be medically beneficial. I feel that bodybuilding has given me a unique perspective and knowledge base that few synthetic chemists have.

CK: What's next?

JT: Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry (DCC). It's controlled evolution in the laboratory. Evolution is a process of random mutations that provides physical changes. If that physical change helps the organism adapt, and thus increases the chance that its genes are passed on to the next generation, the mutation too is passed on. If the mutation decreases the organism's chance for survival and procreation, then it is essentially deleted from the gene pool. This is how evolution works, nature provides stimuli that create an adaptive need in organisms, and random mutations, eventually, provide a solution. But, you must understand, this process is completely random and time is not a concern. Testosterone is the culmination of innumerable mutations in response to mammals' needs: muscle growth, changes during puberty, aggression, etc. Until now, human attempts to change testosterone's anabolic, androgenic or estrogen-related properties have been relatively slow due to the fact that they have been addressed one at a time. A steroid designer imagines a certain compound, synthesizes it, and then tests it for effectiveness. This can take a matter of weeks or years. However, this process is about to undergo a drastic change. Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry is a complicated process, so instead of explaining how it works I will simply provide the bottom line. Once steroid chemists have invested the necessary time into the chemical strategy for DCC, hundreds of novel steroid compounds can be synthesized and tested within a matter of minutes. The entire process is orchestrated by computers. The pharmaceutical sector has recently employed this process, and steroid manufactures will soon follow suit, if they haven't already.

Designer Steroids and Mainstream Professional Sports

Culturekiosque: In view of the demand for designer steroids, how easy is it to recruit qualified chemists to develop cutting edge steroids?

Jason Thomas: There are two types of chemists out there. One that enjoys the pure chemistry of creating a new compound. They see past the fact that it is illegal. The second type would be those looking for monetary gain. After obtaining a Ph.D. in Chemistry, graduates are often funneled into the pharmaceutical industry, which looks for the best of the best. Those that are less gifted might be tempted to work for a steroid laboratory. After all, steroid chemistry is not super-difficult chemistry and the work is lucrative. If you have a lab with a Ph.D. professional, you can staff it with lower level chemists or recent graduates to run the reactions. Similarly, in pharmaceutical labs there are a few senior Ph.D.s and a number of lower level chemists who run the reactions.

CK: Surely Americans, who are very knowledgeable and passionate on the subject of sports, are not naïve to the pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs in sports. However, they react with shock, outrage and disdain when an athlete is charged with their use/abuse. Please comment.

JT: In life, we each need two types of individuals: role models and heroes. Role models are those individuals whose direction we can follow to achieve what they have achieved. The key is, we can reach the level they have attained. And then there are the heroes — those individuals who are superhuman, and their feats and attributes simply cannot be achieved. We do not look to follow their direction; instead, we deify them. There is no disappointment or jealousy in the fact that we cannot aspire to their level; instead, there is a great sense of satisfaction that mankind can reach such unimaginable heights.

The great athletes of our time are not role models. They are heroes. Although our rational mind is aware that such greatness is likely achieved only with the assistance of performance enhancers, the deification process blocks such blasphemy from our conscious mind.

I don't understand why or how the American public pretends to deny or be outraged over the charge of steroid use.

When one of our athletic gods tests positive for enhancers, we are much more than simply deceived. In fact, we are betrayed, as we have ignored our own rational thought and intelligence in our unconditional devotion to our hero. But, more importantly, in our minds the hero becomes nothing more than a man or woman who has artificially propelled themselves to superhuman status. Now, we can become what we have worshipped for so long. Although this would seem like an exciting epiphany, it is not. It simply reminds us of our mundane lives — that we are not surrounded by living gods.

If you are going to see gladiatorial games, little men fighting with sticks won't fill seats. Huge gladiators fighting savage beasts or other huge gladiators will fill seats.

Professional sports must fill seats with fans interested in seeing heroes in their natural element. Thus, every professional sport needs heroes. And these "heroes" need performance enhancing drugs. I don't understand why or how the American public pretends to deny or be outraged over the charge of steroid use.

CK: Chinese labs have been a constant source of performance enhancing drugs for both professional and amateur athletes globally. It seems interesting that the Olympic Games are being hosted by a country where such enhancers are high in quality, cheap in price, and highly accessible.

JT: It would not be appropriate for the International Olympic Committee, IOC, to select or ban any country from hosting the games based solely on that country's status as home to the manufacturers of illegal performance enhancers. These enhancers are simply too prevalent and too easily transported globally.

However, do I think that the athletes who do choose to take performance enhancers will enjoy the availability of labs and apparent lack of regulation while in China? Does a child enjoy an all day VIP pass to Disneyland?

Gene Doping and Genetically Modified Athletes

CK: Earlier this week, an American daily, The Cleveland Leader, reported that a British scientist, Dr. Andy Miah, has warned that Beijing-bound athletes may be injecting themselves with "super DNA." Would you care to comment on this?

JT : Dr. Miah's reasoning is definitely contemporary, in sharp contrast to the recent "realizations" that have taken place on Capitol Hill. Where the media's portrayal of performance enhancement use/abuse in athletics as "breaking news" is years behind, Dr. Miah's predictions may be slightly premature. However, the key word is here is "slightly." At this point, stem cell research is more pronounced and more documented than gene insertion. Stem cell research is directed more towards regeneration than enhancement. Research concerning genetic manipulation via gene insertion is a research topic more in its infant phase, but quickly gaining both support and funding.

Gene doping, at least at this stage, is far more expensive, complicated and uncertain, contrary to the relative inexpense and tenure of research and definitive results associated with other performance enhancers such as steroidal compounds and growth hormone.

Top professional athletes will be hesitant to jump on the gene doping bandwagon until its methods are more accessible and enhancing results more conclusive.Someone with a lucrative contract or the near certainty of one will be hesitant to use a method with uncertain results. However, those athletes who are not yet at the level mentioned above and who value a chance at fame and fortune more than their health may quickly jump onboard...or may already be in the driver's seat.

CK: What comments do you have concerning the permeation of steroids in the mainstream media such as the Roger Clemens testimony on Capitol Hill, Jose Canseco's book, and others?

JT: It's old news. These stories portray the use of performance enhancers in professional athletics as a novel and burgeoning topic, not as a tenured staple in high school, collegiate, and amateur and professional sports. However, I do not want to sound overly cynical because I believe the intended purpose of the crackdown is to make youth in America and abroad aware of the potential dangers of performance enhancers, as well as the legal and professional repercussions. Making an example of some professional "heroes" may have a much, much larger impact on our youth, than the threat of legal consequences alone. I am strongly in favor of educating our youth to take the most ethical path in life.

However, the public slaying of the careers of a few of our sports heroes is not nearly enough to derail an amateur athlete from dreams of a multi-million dollar contract and celebrity status. To effectively remove performance enhancers from our high school and collegiate locker rooms, these enhancers must be removed from professional sports through effective, mandatory testing.

A daunting task? Absolutely. An impossible task? Absolutely not.

Current testing for enhancers identifies compounds or close structural relatives of that compound. However, the tests are specific and make the "designer" market a relatively simple and lucrative one. A designer enhancer is one that, while still effective, cannot be detected by one of the specific tests just described. Unless a committee or agency can determine the structure of a certain designer enhancer or have that structure disclosed in a testimony, it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. And if one designer enhancer can be identified, it is immediately obsolete and replaced by another. As an analogy, picture bacteria or a virus that constantly mutates, making medicines ineffective.

CK: Is there no solution then?

JT: The IOC and other testing agencies need only to look to the template provided by the Pentagon's IT defense system. If you want to create an operating system impermeable to hackers, what do you do? You track down the world's greatest hackers, offer the choice of employment and immunity or significant jail time, and let them design your system for you.

Editing by C. Davis Remignanti

Antoine du Rocher is managing editor of Culturekiosque.

Related Culturekiosque Archives

Dying Darfur: Sudan Genocide Subject of New DVD, Book

GAO Brothers: Photographs and Sculptures

Yue Minjun and the Symbolic Smile

Soccer: High Price of Being a Fan

China's Green Olympics

Mapplethorpe and Mannerism: The Young Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Female Bodybuilder Lisa Lyons

IInterview of Steve McCurry: Capturing the Face of Asia

Sino-French Exchange Addresses Protests Over Beijing Olympics

China’s Stolen Children

Movie Review: Once Upon a Time in China

Reagan Louie: Sex in Asia

Television: Victory is Your Duty

Film Review of Ridley Scott's Gladiator

Gladiators and Caesars, the power of spectacle in ancient Rome

Movie Review: ALI: Mann's Boxer Biopic Pretty, But Lacks Champ's Punch

The Roman Boxer: A Masterpiece of Greek Bronze Sculpture

Sports: Breaking Records, Breaking Barriers

Daily News Golden Gloves

Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya To Fight Steve Forbes at Home Depot Center

Mahjong: Contemporary Chinese Art from the Sigg Collection

Interview: Lang Lang

National Ballet of China : Raise the Red Lantern

Book Review: Bicycle: The History

Olympics 2004: China Takes First Medal

Book Review: Chivalry to Terrorism: War and the Changing Nature of Masculinity

Good god! my eyes a literally burning just from reading the first two... im gonna read the rest later. good read so far but needto

Great post. Thanks for finding this for us bro.

Good post!! We need much more like this and a lot less of the "mixing oil and water will cause an abscess" posts.

This was interesting:
JT: It's a question that I receive on a daily basis. I know that once the person asks me about steroids that it's a done deal; they have most likely purchased the gear and could have already started the cycle. Therefore, I provide them with prophylactic advice: consult your physician so that he or she can test your testosterone levels. It turns out that many people often have high estrogen levels and physicians will prescribe testosterone as therapy. This is how I bait them into seing a physician. Many people associate using steroids with drug use, but if they are prescribed by a physician then it removes the negative connotations from the word. There is also the possibility that medical insurance could cover the steroid prescription in the case that a person's estrogen levels are high, since it is in that case "therapy."

So he bull shits them into going to their doc and then they loose their health insurance because they use illegal drugs. And before anybody says doctor patient privileged you signed away those rights the first time you went to the doctor. Remember all those papers you signed?

Back in the seventies the America had a huge problem with heroin use. So the medical community decided to not give cancer patients morphine for their pain. It's so nice to know that history repeats itself, now because of the steroid “problem” doctors are investigated if they prescribe testosterone to their patients that need it. Forget about your doctor writting you a script for testosterone. The only way you will get one is if you got your balls shot off or you lost them some other way.

Good post needto but one thing I would like to point out. A big waist means a person is fat. A big waste is when something worth while has been lost.:D

Top Bottom