Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I need a GOOD butt workout... please

• Thread starter oicu812 - chargeback
  • Start date
Come on, Ranger - you don't think deadlifters have the best asses ever? You can't leave deadlifts out of that list. Plus, little things like good mornings, pull throughs, glute/ham raises, romanian dead lifts, dumbbell squats (the one-leg kind) - all of these exercises will work both glutes and hams. If you want a nice view from the rear, you need to focus on both these muscle groups.

I'm tall as well, and have to squat with a wide stance so I don't get a lot of forward lean. So, I've been doing front squats more than regular squats - no lean with a conventional stance, and I practically hit the floor with my butt when I do them.

If you're going to lunge, use a bar and pause them at the bottom - that kills your glutes. You can use more weight with the bar - plus, I always lose my grip on DBs.

Yes JJ, all those work quite well....I personally think these are the best, and I am quite tall as well, so I know the feeling babe....heh heh heh

Ranger

My butt's roundness is from fat and genetics, pure and simple. I do use the "butt blaster" and leg press maching once a week on leg day. I don't do squats or dead lifts yet...still scared to death of doing that stuff wrong and hurting myself. I need to find someone to train me in propper form so I can get started.

I want to THANK EVERYONE for there very informative responses!!!

When I went to the gym last night, I did heavy squats & really focused on correct form.... It felt great... I am sore this morning... I have did stiff-legged deadlifts before,i think I am gonna start back.. My b/f does them and man-- he has a nice ass!! but he has one anyways--all muscle-- it makes me sick...lol

My bad knees come from birth, and growing five inches in two months my ninth grade summer didn't help any at all. I wore braces on my legs for a long time as a child.

I have my surgery(2nd breast augmentation) March 7, I am going to wait until after that to start my upper body...

Thanks again for all the information... This board is so informative and inspiring....

let presses on the incline press machine will really target your glutes.

My knees wreck my workout too, so I know where you're coming from. They looked up at me and said 'F- you' the day I turned 35...

Anyway... what are you doing squats with?

I was using dumbells for a while, and they always pulled me forward and put the pressure on my knees and quads, and I couldn't feel a thing in the glutes at all.

I finally went out and got myself a barbell so I could rest the weight on my shoulders, which completely changed my center of gravity, redistributed the weight better, and during my first set of squats with it, it was like a completely different movement. The same amount with dumbells that was killing my knees seemed like nothing on the barbell - and I could do massively deep squats that were not possible with dumbells.

The weight was OFF my knees, I could manage my form better and concentrate on using my glutes rather than on protecting my knees. So - if you've been doing dumbell squats, switch to a barbell, even if it appears there is an embarrassingly low amount of weight on it for a barbell. (like on mine) It REALLY took the pressure off my knees and quads.

I also often do slow and controlled donkey kicks with ankle weights, but they must be slow to be of any use.

I am also a terminal victim of "flat butt".

Fawn

Fawnmarie, who cares about the weight on your barbell? Even if you would have to do them with an empty barbell, if the weight is good for YOU, that's all that counts!

I started doing barbell squats a few weeks ago (finally found a gym with a squat rack) and I used the empty barbell for the first sets (17 kg) then moved on to 33 kg. That wasn't easy at all, LOL, but today the same weight went much better. It's just the technique that was (is?) killing me, because I could do 12 reps easily. I'll slightly get the weight up as I get more sure of myself squatting with good form. Also did (regular) deadlifting for the first time today. 43 kg was an easy weight (also 12 reps), but I had to be carefull not to bang off my kneecaps with it :D

And dumbell squat suck IMHO, just like dumbell lunges they kill your underarms before they do your legs!

Hello, my name is VLC, and I too am genetically flat-assed.

I found that squats, deadlifts, and goodmornings made my butt noticably harder/firmer, and that split leg squats with dbells (sort of like lunges) made it higher. I also agree with the low reps recommendations.

I think using a variety of exercises to hit your tush from as many different angles as possible is important.

You want an ass?...... Squat and squat deep and or do deep leg presses pressing with the heels and feet fairly high up on the platform.
Stiff leg deadlifts are good too.

RG:)

Dumbell squats just KILL my knees!

I can really squat deep with the barbell. I also have been doing dead lifts.

It's a drag being booty-deficient. Heck, I wouldn't even mind having more of my fat there. As it is, it settles on the sides above the hip bones.

Well - right now I just lift in my garage and the only ones to make fun of the weight on my bar is my cats. My S.O. wouldn't dare, as he is one of the terminally couch-bound and is starting to look it.

Fawn

Top Bottom