Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much do you Stiff legged deadlift?

strongsmartsexy said:
I haven't quite figured out why, but it seems that the back "Half" of my leg is much thicker than the quads. I can clearly handle much more weight with the quads, but it just seems with as much hamstring as I have, I should be able to do more.

Think of it this way. Your quads are four muscles, and you hammies are only two. The quads are designed to press while the hammies are designed to pull. Also think about simple physics when you are squatting or leg pressing the load is directly in line with the plane of motion in regards to you body. Whereas when doing sldls you are forming a simple lever with your upper body. So theoretically if your upperbody is two feet from hip to shoulder and you have 215lbs on the bar you body is lifting 430ftlbs at the pivot fulcrum(your hip).

Cheers,
Scotsman

Scotsman said:
Think of it this way. Your quads are four muscles, and you hammies are only two. The quads are designed to press while the hammies are designed to pull. Also think about simple physics when you are squatting or leg pressing the load is directly in line with the plane of motion in regards to you body. Whereas when doing sldls you are forming a simple lever with your upper body. So theoretically if your upperbody is two feet from hip to shoulder and you have 215lbs on the bar you body is lifting 430ftlbs at the pivot fulcrum(your hip).

Cheers,
Scotsman

Good point! I should have thought of it in terms of body mechanics. And I'd imagine a taller person is lifting more with the same weight than a much shorter person...

strongsmartsexy said:
Good point! I should have thought of it in terms of body mechanics. And I'd imagine a taller person is lifting more with the same weight than a much shorter person...

Bingo. That's why taller guys are actually doing more work with the same amount of weight as a shorter guy.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Scotsman said:
Bingo. That's why taller guys are actually doing more work with the same amount of weight as a shorter guy.

Cheers,
Scotsman

I noticed that same phenominon with bench press. I have 34/35" arms, so I'm pushing a lot of weight around. My ex-training partner was like 5'2" and had little stubbie arms. He could push a HUGE amount of weight, but only had to move the bar 6 - 8".

I'm afflicted with the long arm problem. My strict bench 1RM always grows with everything else, but it's never more than 10-15 pounds over bodyweight.

strongsmartsexy said:
I noticed that same phenominon with bench press. I have 34/35" arms, so I'm pushing a lot of weight around. My ex-training partner was like 5'2" and had little stubbie arms. He could push a HUGE amount of weight, but only had to move the bar 6 - 8".

My arms are like 36/37" my wingspan is 3" more than my height and ideally they should be the same length. That was great for him I have like a 14-15" stroke on my bench. My monkey arms aren't great for benching but nice for deadlifting.

Cheers,
Scotsman

this thread inspired me to lift more today. after squatting 215lbs 5x5, i did hack squats and sldl, 10, 8, 6 reps, 155, 165, 175lbs. felt like there was still some juice left in the tank, but i could feel my lower back muscles saying "ok, we've done enough." with exercises that put a lot on the lower back, i listen to my back when it starts saying we might be reaching the "good enough" point. arms and chest, however, are a different story :D

my hacksquat and sldl weight are going up though, very slowly, but they're going up. that's better than never bumping them up at all though, and at least i'm doing them.

SLDL are one of my fav exercises...i usually start back day with them. Did them with legs for a while, but i find i can concentrate better and push myself harder if i do em fresh...I get about 10reps with 275 on my heavy set

crak - keep in mind that i do my sl deads as the very first exercise on my back/hams day. you're doing them after squats which is obviously a compound exercise that expends quite a bit of energy - i do them with a full tank of juice whereas yours is half empty. this is the reason i give them a separate day since deads are one of the big three.

do you do regular deads as well?

today i hit all the reps that i said i was going to earlier in the thread(pr for me). higher rep sl deads are punishing - i never really fully recover from the lower back stiffness for the rest of my back workout, but now 3 hours later sitting in my chair at work it's a nice feeling to have nailed them.

crak- good work my man
bigstve12- nice weight for 10 reps.
ssme- great job on the pr. Also love the avatar it is a favorite with the guys I work with.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Top Bottom