Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long have you been using the same weight?

I stick to the same weight until my set of 8 is done without too much strain. Then I move up the next workout. I typically stay with the same weight for about a month or maybe a little less. It is all little baby steps but at least they are in the right direction...:)

spatts said:
Tricep extensions, bis, back, calves, etc.....do you try to lift a little more every time? What about your compound moves? Did you pick a nice round number and stay there for the last year, or do you try to add weight regularly?

If your numbers aren't going up, why?

interesting question-- Iv been lifting 4 yrs & I really dont go up anymore...Im more into increasing my reps & sets than actual weight.

A couple reasons-- I dont have a spotter, Im cutting- not bulking anymore- so Im not looking to add size w/heavy reps & Im sorta injury-prone w/heavy lifts & w/competitiions in Jan- I dont have alot of recovery time.

I've been trying to get more (ie 10 instead of 8) reps in a set of 3 and once that is "easy" then I move up. Trying to make sure I'm doing perfect form before the change up. No cheating!

I used to just use the same weight forever back when I didn;'t know what I was doing. Now I'm doing a 5x5 so I move up every workout on my main move, and as often as possible on accessory moves. I love it.

I try to keep going up on everything - and, after getting out my little black book realized I do - except for my nemesis that Spatts mentioned - calves. I've been doing the same weight for calves for three months now.

Hmmm, and they look puny too ... :)

Lola

I've been hovering around the same weights for about a year, though some different training regimens w/ different trainers had me up on reps.

Upon discovering the joys of PL, all my weights went up 10-50 lbs (depending on if the lift is one of the "standard" lifts or if it's a PL thing) and have become more solid. Due to a move to a new city I've been out for about 3 weeks, however my first day back in was respectable. (as respectable as one can be at the local Bally's :| )

My squat, bench, DL, rack pulls -- stuff like that -- go up consistently, even if it's just a 2.5 for one lousy rep, I make an effort to make even the smallest progress every week. It's usually more notable than a 2.5, but just as an example. ;)

The only lifts that don't go up as frequently are ones for which I can't make small incremental jumps -- dumbbell stuff is a good example. I progress much more slowly with those. But I try to keep an eye on it and push myself when I realize I've picked up the same dang dumbbells for several weeks. At last resort, I know I can switch up the set/rep ratio until I can comfortably do the new weight. :)

As I was doing my back & triceps tonite I was thinking about this thread. Next week I'm going to up the weight on my lat pull downs & I upped the weight doing triceps tonite. :)

Top Bottom