Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How long does it take for muscle to grow????

There are 3 variables that effect the time for muscle growth. Diet, rest, and the stimulus. The more stimulis you have (volume or sets), the more time it will take your muscle to grow (assuming diet isn't a factor). This is why I do not understand the high volume 6 day/ week workout. Your muscle needs time to recover from the workout and additional time to compensate for the growth. The more sets you do with less rest days will cause your body to go into overtraing at an expotientially fast rate. With the high volume method, most people don't give thier body the time off it needs- hence all the "plateau questions" I see on the board.

benchmaniac2 said:
I saw somewhere that it takesabout 30 days for muscle to grow, is this true or bs?

If it takes 30 days for a a muscle to grow then how could anyone expect to see strength gains from one week to the next?

Surely hypertrophy takes place faster than that.

GenetiKing: I am sure that hypertrophy takes less than 30 days, also. In fact I doubt that 30 days after doing exercise there would be any significant hypertrophy left occuring as a result of that exercise.

benchmaniac2: I think you may have misunderstood that information...

When starting exercise such as weight lifting, hypertrophy will not immediately start to occur, or only occur in very limited ways.
Initially your body will make strength gains due to neuro-muscular adaptation, not muscle growth.
Neuro-muscular adapation means your body and brain is learning how to recruit more muscle fibres for a particular exercise and how to use those fibres to maximum effect. Only when the upper potential for neuro-muscular adaptation is reached will your body engage in the much more taxing process of growing existing muscle fibres (hypertrophy). This can take up to 3 months or even longer if training is not intense and frequent.

I hope this makes things clearer.

hardgainer (acting like a know it all)

Protein synthesis and glycogen regeneration has been shown to be complete 36-48 hours after training with the nutritional support. The nervous system is what takes a while to recover, generally 5-7 days. It takes about 30 days for muscles to atrophy (shrink), not grow.

Top Bottom