Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How good of shape should you be in to be a personal trainer?

I'm a skinny guy but that's because I'm a runner and don't give a crap about lifting heavy weights - and that's who I market myself to. It also means I'm not intimidating so women don't mind having me as a trainer. And if you talk to me for ten minutes you realize that I really, really know my stuff so I get respect and referrals like crazy as well because nobody in the gym knows the stuff that I know.

But really, personality and knowledge will get you the farthest as a trainer. Unless you are a hot girl with a solid ass in which case you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Trust me, you won't get clients who are traditional bodybuilders and you don't want them. They think they know everything and can work out on their own anyway so why do they need you?

all the PT bros at my gym=lean/jacked
all the PT broettes= a few lean, but most of them just skinny

if you work for a commercial, run of the mill gyms filled with soccer moms trying to lose weight than you can be a skinny nancy-boy. However in a gym that is a cut above the norm and there are a lot of ppl that lift for sports and that lift heavy, you better be a strong MF'er. It's so pathetic going to the local 24 hr fitness here and seeing all these losers weighting 140lbs, and don't give me that "Oh I am a runner" BS. You're not just a runner- you are a trainer. You should practice what you preach and have some semblance of muscle. Anyone can be a runner- this is very easy to do , much easier than being explosive, powerful, strong, agile and FIT. Sure you can help with rehab, and help the 50yr old soccer mom lose weight, but what about the varsity athlete who wants to be more explosive for next season? Or the actor who has to bulk up big time for an upcoming role? How about training MMA fighters? No perspective client that has some what of an athletic background will come to you if you are skinny. The bar is so low for trainers, since all it takes it for you to pass some run of the mill training course and do your paper work. Fortunately, at my university gym, lots of the dudes are jacked and we have varsity athletes and the skinny fitness world trainers have no place in such an environment. Fuck, I've even seen fat trainers at the local 24hr fitness. *barf

Hi all!
I've been interested in health and fitness ever since I can remember. Becoming a PT would be my dream job. My problem is I've been skinny all my life so I'm worried about not relating to clients. I'm also concerened about not being in good enough shape. I'm not in bad shape. I can run 14+ k and I'm good at cardio but I'm quite petite and do not have the upper body strength I think I should have. What tips can you give me??

I think someone in this forum will be have the expertise to give you the info you need.

I secretly wanna be a personal trainer. This is the FIRST Time I've ever come out and owned it by typing it out. I think personal fitness and "doing the best you can with what you've got/what you can change because you can control" is super important!!!

Like me...I'm not proud of the lose skin on my arms but it tells a story and it's mine. If I could control it, I would! That's why I bulk up there as much as I can. I think you should do that too. Plus, ANYONE looks hotter with some muscle and if you're already lean then just eat more chicken, brown rice and drink more some quality protein shakes and lift heavy! you'd be golden!

oh yeah ... and lose some of the attitude

Attitude!!???! Not too sure what your talking about. Yes I am female I do have a bubbly personality. The purpose of this post was to get some expert advice on what I can to to become a good PT. Obviously I know I need to build upper body strength I'm working on it. Just wondering whats ideal and some of the posts have been pretty helpful so far. Thank you and keep the advice coming.

maybe learn how to bodybuild and do it

now what the hell is this nonsence. doing this would clearly go against the pt secret code of ethics. "never learn a useful thing, just make shit up that looks different than anything you have seen and sell it".

serously being a good trainer is something that is hard to market because the potential client is clueless on what to look for.

i think a good aproach is to know how to help people reach their goals then getting a handful to prove yourself and build a portfolio would be a great idea. personal fitness shows you know how to get yourself to where you are but it means squat about helping others. unfortunately its your first line of marketing. its a word of mouth business. the start is slow and you have to sacrifice a lot to get going but once your initial clients start showing good progress people will see it. the gym goers that are stuck in a rut that dont know how to train, and the friends and co workers of your clients will see the results and want to know how to do it themselves. the word of success spreads like wild fire. all you have to do is get the first clients however you can. get them showing progress as fast as possible while showing that you really care about their success. present yourself well. then its just a matter of time.

Being a personal trainer is all about marketing in my opinion. The basic of fitness are the same. What makes you different than others is marketing. A part of this marketing is appearance. So inorder to train other people you gotta be fit not skinny. Inorder to person train bodybuilders, you gotta be jacked.

Top Bottom