Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How deep ?

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
We often hear that squatting ass to the grass is dangerous for the knees

But some people (usually the big guys and/or those who know a bit more than the shity personal trainers) say that going parallel is the worse position for the knees and you should either stop a bit before or go deeper

What do you think (and do) ?

Okay, from what I know (which isn't a great deal) going ass to the floor is better. When you do this, the pause at the bottom shifts the stress onto your hips. Larger, more durable muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments...whatever. When you stop during the movement at parallel, the stress is on the knees. This is bad.

Plus, full range of motion is always better. Get in a fight with some guy and go from having him on top of you while your about to stand up, and thrust upward. If you're not used to being in "the pit" at the bottom of an ass-to-floor squat, this is going to more difficult for you.

Not to mention all the big boys do it. Who doesn't wanna follow in their footsteps? :p

Tom Treutlein said:
Okay, from what I know (which isn't a great deal) going ass to the floor is better. When you do this, the pause at the bottom shifts the stress onto your hips. Larger, more durable muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments...whatever. When you stop during the movement at parallel, the stress is on the knees. This is bad.

:p

my thoughts exactly

Ass to the floor or as low as you can get is best..most people that complain of knee probs only do about 3/4 reps stopping just before parallel..Im not an exercise physiologist maybe bulldog or needsize could comment..As you drop below para and the stress shifts to your hips is there any danger of knee injury on the way back up as the pressure is released off the hips back to the knees/quads etc?

for years i was under the impression the lower the better. It seems lately their have been soem people saying that ass to the grass is rough on the knees becuase, i beleive, the stretch of the tendons across the knee when you get that low. I don't see these articles are not saying to break parallel, but not to go as low as you possilby can. Personally i don't have a good enough background of the knee to give an opinion, but I never see the question addressed properly, it is always ass to grass vs. above parallel. The question that probably needs to be brought up is ass to grass vs. just below parallel where the downward force is taken off the knees and still put on the glutes and hams.

Last edited:
I dunno about the knees, but when I go lower than parallel I end up bending forward more and it does put more stress on my back. I am thinking that this is because of flexibility issues, but that's where I'm at right now.

In everyday's life we rarely stop during the movement at parallel (or there is a chair/couch to make us stop)

Top Bottom